Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speedometer and Odometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:53 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer and Odometer issue

I have an 03 Softail FXST. Just the other day on a ride, I looked down and the speedometer was stuck at 0 and odometer wasn't doing it's thing either. Not really sure if it's an electrical issue since the backlighting of the speedo and odometer still work. I changed the fuse and still nothing. I also removed the console, double checked and cleaned the connections and still nothing. I've already searched the forum for the topic, but it was releated to electrical. So any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...

Old 02-10-2006, 02:01 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Default RE: Speedometer and Odometer issue

Check the sender in the trans. Sometimes it just collects little bits of metal on the magnetic tip and needs to be cleaned. It usually has to be replaced, though.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you are not clocking up the miles while riding it - LOL

Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

Ok, thanks, I'll check that out
ORIGINAL: bobcowan

Check the sender in the trans. Sometimes it just collects little bits of metal on the magnetic tip and needs to be cleaned. It usually has to be replaced, though.

Old 02-10-2006, 06:45 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

Take a look here for the explination, it does sound like the pickup, replace it because when you clean it, the sender goes bad again. Usually about $50... https://www.hdforums.com/m_75918/tm.htm

Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 PM
inkaholic
Road Captain

Thanks for your help Bill, looks like I'll be making a trip to the dealership this weekend.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
AcidRayn
Banned

hey inkaholic, im having the same problem with my 03 road king.
not sure of the routing of the harness on your ride, but on mine, the cable from the pick up senosor to its connection
in front of the battery, well the wires were too long, and were under the battery, where they got crushed together, making a short
check it out
very easy to fix the sensor, only one bolt, its on the right side near the oil filler neck, towards the front. one allen key
might have to take off the oil return hose to get it out
fixed my prob

i noticed the new sensor, the wires are about 5 inches shorter then the original, telling me that harley new of the
too long problem

anyway, post your results

o, yea, the sensor is about 50.00

Old 02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
ssgtpitt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: inkaholic

I have an 03 Softail FXST. Just the other day on a ride, I looked down and the speedometer was stuck at 0 and odometer wasn't doing it's thing either. Not really sure if it's an electrical issue since the backlighting of the speedo and odometer still work. I changed the fuse and still nothing. I also removed the console, double checked and cleaned the connections and still nothing. I've already searched the forum for the topic, but it was releated to electrical. So any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...
Hey Ink, I've got the same probelm on my '03 Fatboy. Were you able to fix the problem ?? I've replaced the magnetic sensor once and cleaned the new one several times. It only seems to "short" out when I get on it but it seems to short out sooner the longer I can't find the problem.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:36 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My speedometer was doing the same thing but I have over 40K on my road glide. I went to the service manual and found where the sensor was,It took 1 hex wrench ,shure enough it was covered with metal I cleaned it up and oled the O ring and pushed it back in place and it works like it should

Old 02-27-2006, 12:09 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: ssgtpitt

ORIGINAL: inkaholic

Hey Ink, I've got the same probelm on my '03 Fatboy. Were you able to fix the problem ?? I've replaced the magnetic sensor once and cleaned the new one several times. It only seems to "short" out when I get on it but it seems to short out sooner the longer I can't find the problem.

I'll bet you're using Syn 3 in the transmission too with all that metal on the sensor

Quick Reply: Speedometer and Odometer issue