Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speedometer and Odometer issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:00 AM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speedometer and Odometer issue

tcstd, i have not read all of your diy articles (my favorite area of this forum) but is there a prob with the synth 3 in the trans?
i only changed to it at the last interval, only bout 1000 mi ago.

hmmmm, now you got me thinking, went to synth 3, and thats when i had my speedo prob. GRRRRRRRR

Old 02-27-2006, 10:24 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

tcstd, i have not read all of your diy articles (my favorite area of this forum) but is there a prob with the synth 3 in the trans?
Syn 3 is not the best choice for transmissions. It is an engine oil and too thin for use in the trans. That's why I commented above

"I'll bet you're using Syn 3 in the transmission too with all that metal on the sensor "

If you watch the magnets on the various sensors (VSS in the trans and the crank position sensor in the engine) you'll find some significant metal on them using the syn 3 which tells me there's some wear going on in there (more than normal in this case). If you switch to redline shockproof heavy as I did in the trans or even the Mobil 1 75/90 , you find very little on the next change when you go from syn 3 to redline. In your next change again, you find almost none at all. Conclusion here is that using the syn 3 , you get much to much wear in the trans backing up what I have been saying for a long time here.I don't recommend something for profit, I recommend it because I know it works. Some things are very obvious if we pay attention and see what we are looking at. Don't go by what some dealers tell you to use as they are selling the product and are more concerned about their bottom line. By the time you have repairs to your trans, more than likely your warrantee will be over by then so the dealer makes out here again. It equates to some who profess certain type of oil mainly because they sell it, not because they actually believe it is a superior oil to begin with which holds true with many oil dealers here too..

https://www.hdforums.com/m_273708/tm.htm

hmmmm, now you got me thinking, went to synth 3, and thats when i had my speedo prob. GRRRRRRRR
Now your talking, you have experienced what I've been trying to get across here for a while, it just takes some others to see for themselves in this case.

Old 02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
AcidRayn
Banned

tcs, i read your article, as i have read quite a few of them
i have found this site to be like crack, now im started, cant stop
i take your words as law, and will change out the oil
its only got 5400 mi, and about 1000 since that oil change, so i should be kewl

since i stumbled upon this place, im here for a cpl hours a day, absorbing everything
since my scoot is out of warranty. i enjoy working on my own junk alot, have wrenched every
bike i've ever owned.

i will try the mobil 1 75/90

what do you recomend for the primary and the eng?

never mind, just found it in the diy
thanks again
rayn

Old 02-27-2006, 12:18 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ink, your problem sounds like the sensor. However, I read an article in a bike magazine a while back that addressed eratic speedomter problems. The author suggested using as start up procedure like this, turn on the ignition at the key and wait until the security light goes off, then turn on the switch at the handle bar and wait until the oil light goes off, then start the bike. His point is that the bike goes through a series of checks when the ignition is turned on and starting the bike during that process sometimes messes up the electrical. It sounds sort of silly, but I swear, that's what the guy said.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

then turn on the switch at the handle bar and wait until the oil light goes off, then start the bike.
I Think the battery will be dead by the time the oil light goes off without starting the bike JMHO here

Old 02-27-2006, 01:10 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bad, Bill. It's the engine light on the face of the speedometer. Sorry.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:53 PM
wayfat
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man,
I have a similar problem, but when I turn on the turn signal, the odometer flashes. My bike drains and kills the battery. The odometer works at idle, but when reved up, it goes blank. I ruined 2 batteries. I tried a new ignition module, speedo, voltage regulator, but nothing helped. any ideas, anybody? i am desperate. this has been 2 years now. Does anyone know how the bike will act if the stator is going bad?
thanks,
wayfat

Old 03-06-2006, 12:43 AM
AcidRayn
Banned

wayfat, i see you are new here.
welcome aboard.

you can help everyone help you by giving some better details.
what bike
what year
what mods

that is a good start. there are lots of helpful knowledgeable people here, just give more info and you'll be on your way

good luck