Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal problem - reward!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal problem - reward!

OK, I've been troubleshooting this and am still scratching my head. I'll give a $10 reward via Paypal to the first person who comes up with the right solution to this.....

I'm on the final stage of a complete rebuild of a '92 Heritage. New R&R 113" motor w/DTT nose cone ignition, Jims 6spd overdrive, Cycle Electric charging system, Rivera ProClutch, powder-coated frame, new tanks and tins, Spyke HiTorque starter. Long story.

Motor fires right up. Headlights/passing lights/horn/console lights all correct with no problems. Tail light and brake light work perfectly. Now the problem...

If rear light connector (molex underseat) is disconnected so no rear turn signals or brake/tail/tip light are plugged in, then front turn signals are lit as markers, and when turn signal button is pressed appropriate turn signal gets brighter - but does not blink (as it should be to my knowledge). Both left and right work correctly that way.

If rear light connector is connected then no action whatsoever on turn signals, though tail/brake light and tip light work correctly.

If rear light connector is not connected at first, then turn signal is started (so one front signal is brighter) then connector is plugged in - that turn signal works and blinks correctly. But if ignition is turned back off and then on again, it does not work.

Ground from battery to frame is very good, with brand new Sumax ground strap onto powdercoat free bare metal. Ground from rear swingarm bumper to relay on splash guard is good. Ground on front fork (riser bolt to triple tree) is good. Ground connection under speedo area (3 wires) very good (powdercoating cleared).

Tried jumping ground directly from battery to rear light bar to find out if there was a ground issue on the rear fender - no change. Rear harness tests good with multimeter. Front harness "seems" good. All terminals cleaned. Lights test good. Even jumped ground from battery to front lights and rear lights at the same time. Still no good.

Lights all worked correctly prior to disassembly. Traced wiring with wiring diagram from shop manual and all is correct. I'm going nuts here. Don't believe it could be related to the Cycle Electric stuff - this is happening with engine not running. Plus, that should not affect the lighting system as the lights run from battery.

Like I said, it ain't much but $10 to the first guy with the answer! If I do get it answered I'll post with whoever the expert is that got it right!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:47 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn signal problem - reward!

Im not real sure but I had a similar problem and it was the flasher...It was brand new and bad...

Jer

Old 08-15-2008, 06:49 PM
FL DEUCE
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the new lights LED's?