Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sert Maps

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Wolfie40
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sert Maps

I have a question regarding SERT maps.

Can someone recommend a canned map for my setup:
2008 Ultra
Vance and Hines True duals with VH Basic Slip-ons
SERT
Stage 1 A/C

I don't want it to run lean in fear of damage to my engine or pipes. I want it to run good enough until I get 1,000 miles on it. I will then have it Dynoed to run its best.

Also, I am curious to know ifanyone's dealer gave a printout of the map installation andthe current AFR upon bike pickup?

Thank you for all of help!

Old 04-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sert Maps

Map 100, and it has to be tuned......

As far as the print-out, that is between you and the tuner...

Do your homework, ask around and find out who has proven themselves as competent tuners...

Old 04-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Wolfie40
Cruiser

When you say "Has to be tuned" Does that mean right away, or can I ride until break-in at 1,000 miles and than do a Dyno-tune.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wolfie40

When you say "Has to be tuned" Does that mean right away, or can I ride until break-in at 1,000 miles and than do a Dyno-tune.
During break-in, I advise to leave the bike in original condition, or at least get the tune done up to 30% if you have to have your accessories on right away..... You can safely get your full tune done at the 500 mile mark, AFTER the fluids have been changed....

That map is designed for a Stock Head-Pipe set-up, and with the true dual set-up that you have, it will need a full tune.....

Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

i know there are many schools of thought on this, but i was told that you should get the dyno tune right away, and that the break in period is much shorter than what the dealers tell you

Old 04-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Wolfie40
Cruiser

The dealer already installed everything. The dealer really scares me as they could not tell me the map that they used. They did not know what AFR it was set at. They do not have a dyno there and I'm glad that they don't.I'm just concerned because I have a 70 mile ride home from the dealer. I don't want to damage the bike in anyway. I will check a couple dealers closer to home that do dynos and see if they have a custom map that will get me by until the break in about 500-1000 miles.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Running a bike with improper AFR and/or Timing for 500 to 1000 miles will cause more damage to an engine than you think, get it tuned after the rings have been seated and thats no more than 75 to 100 miles. With todays materials a 1000 mile break-in is ludicrous, I'm not going to get into details here on what materials I mean the point is the 500 to 1000 mile break in went out with Shovel heads and Iron Heads. If it makes you feel better to baby your bike for a 1000 period at least do what Bob said and get it dialed in up to 20% to 30% throttle.
I've attached two pictures of pistons here....the ugly carboned up one is out of an engine that the customer said he broke the motor in (babied) for 1200 miles and he was proud of that fact, the clean one with no carbon between the rings is a motor that had a 95' kit installed on the lift and went into the dyno room and had several 100% throttle runs on it ....there is 3000 mile of nothing but 100% throttle position runs on this motor but the piston and rings look new. Now these two examples are extreme from one end of the spectrum to the other but the point I'm making is if you break in a motor like the Dealer says the rings will never seat and there will be combustion gasses that get passed the rings and start to mix with your oil which will turn acidic. The piston that is new looking (after 3000miles) has no evidence of gasses and carbon getting past the first ring which tells you it is sealed. I have SEVERAL piston examples from good and bad break in procedures, way to many to show you, but believe me when those techs take your bike out after they set it up for delivery and romp on that throttle as soon as they get out of sight of the shop.....are doing you a favor.
Break in your bike like you want but what I shared with you isn't a lie, it's proven. When I get done with a build I seat the rings with in 30 to 50 miles then a 30 mile trip to the dyno for a full tune. Dyno tuning isn't as hardon a bike as most of you think, after all 90% of the runs are way belowfull throttle.
Sorry to babble here but let it be known this 1000 mile break in before tuning is OLD school....get-r-done!!!!

Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Wolfie40
Cruiser

My head is spinning!!