Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Hot weather detonation

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hot weather detonation

On a 2007 SportsterLow running 93 octane fuel running in 95 degree weather, my totally stock bike wants to detonate when at 1/2 throttle or more. If the stock bikes have Ion sensing, why are these bikes so prone to detonation. At this point in the fuel map, it appears the bike is open loop and fairly fat. The thing that is throwing me is why is the stock code allowing the bike to ever get to this point.

I may ellect to not blow away the stock maps untill I canrecord this on the data loggers later this summer.

AW

Old 04-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Hot weather detonation

The ion sensor takes about three revolutions of abnormal combustion before it changes any timing to correct the problem....that's what your probably hearing.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What I am really starting to question is if these things are that sensitive to IAC and/or cylinder cooling, can they be dyno tuned an anything less than hot days?

I have noticed insane IAT temps of like 50 degrees above ambient even on cool days when the bike is on the road. It will be interesting to look on a 100 degree day.

In this case I always notice it on a section of road that I have to accelerated for a stop sign uphill ona entrance ramp that I have to get up to 65 MPH or so to merge into traffic. I have to feather the throttle all the way up to speed to keep the bike out of dead detonation. It was the primary reason I justified the SERT to figure out what the motor was doing. I removerd the Rinehart 2-1 with quiet insert as I was concerned I would not be able to catch the detonation with the loud exhaust.

AW

Old 04-05-2008, 10:39 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Try changing out the plugs? When I was in Sturgis I ran Autolite 4163's as opposed to 4164's (6R12 equivalent) worked better for me.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Aggie
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No ION sense in the Sportster ECM.

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

On a 2007 SportsterLow running 93 octane fuel running in 95 degree weather, my totally stock bike wants to detonate when at 1/2 throttle or more. If the stock bikes have Ion sensing, why are these bikes so prone to detonation. At this point in the fuel map, it appears the bike is open loop and fairly fat. The thing that is throwing me is why is the stock code allowing the bike to ever get to this point.

I may ellect to not blow away the stock maps untill I canrecord this on the data loggers later this summer.

AW

Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If running platnum plugs, dump them and go back to stock plugs. On a hot day, the platnum plugs retain enough heat to ignite the fuel without sparking (pre-combustion). I run platnums in the winter and stock plugs in the summer.