Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

stealer won't give copy of sert map

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM
theroadking
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealer won't give copy of sert map

So I just got off the phone with the local stealer, asked if they will give a copy of map when they do a dyno, they said no there is a copy stored in the sert its self there is no reason you should need a copy, but to duplicate it and give it to someone else so we don't do that, is this true ?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:05 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: stealer won't give copy of sert map

I can understand their point, the map they loaded onto your ecm represents not only the dyno time you paid for but all the knowledge and skill of the tuner as well. Some tuners will give you a copy and some wont. If they dont I would confirm that they have retained a copy of your map so that should you ever need them to do more work on the bike they have a baseline to start from. It one of those things you really do need to confirm before you get any work done because if you dont like the answer you can always find a tuner who will give you a copy of the map. I guess a lot would depend on your bike. If you have a totally stock bike and the tuner set your bike up for say lower heat, then I bet he wouldnt give anyone a map as the opportunity to pass that map onto people with bikes just like yoursis pretty high. However if you have had head work, big bore, exhaust, air intake, new cams, change in compression etc., then its really a map that is only of any use to you and the arguement for not giving you a copy of the map really is pretty groundless.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same thing happen and won't go back to that dealer for work anymore. They don't want you to see what the tuner did on that map. This leads me to believe they want you to be dependent on them 100% or they didn't do much of a real tune job. Either motivation would cause me to look elsewhere for tuning expertise.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
theroadking
Intermediate

so then let's say I wanted to run data mode to see how everything is running would I be able to do that without the map.There is no way at all to get that map out of the ECM

Old 04-02-2008, 11:43 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Yes you can use data recording to see the results of the map, even if you dont have the map.
But I am not aware of any way to extract a copy of the map from the ecm.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
connsmith
Banned

It is how they make money. I put software on your computer, I will not teach you how to replace me...

Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: theroadking

So I just got off the phone with the local stealer, asked if they will give a copy of map when they do a dyno, they said no there is a copy stored in the sert its self there is no reason you should need a copy, but to duplicate it and give it to someone else so we don't do that, is this true ?
No it's not true. There is no copy of the map stored in the SERT since the SERT is only the interface that's allows you to program the ECM and nothing is stored in the SERT. You paid for the dyno tune so a copy of the map should be yours. Your Stealer is full of *****. You also can't download the map from your ECM witha SERT so if you load a modified canned map or one you purchasefrom a dealer like Latus,make sure you keep any copies on your own computer which is the only place you can store or retrieve them from to use again if you modify them or need to reload a map. I always give mine a different name or number extension to be able to tell the difference in the maps stored on my computer.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 PM
theroadking
Intermediate

I think that I am going to do a latus map I like the fact that I have my map so if I need to tweak it alittle I can without having to to make an apointmen pay the stealer to fix somthing they should have been able to get right the first time. The more I read on these forums and the more I deal a hd service the more Im glad I can turn a wrench.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

With answers like that, the choice is simple, find another tuner.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

it's "normal"

fkn stealerships [:@]

Quick Reply: stealer won't give copy of sert map