Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

stealer won't give copy of sert map

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts
Default RE: stealer won't give copy of sert map

That really stinks. [:@] Living in Florida, I would be heading up to see Doc for a tune.

I've got a buddy with a 07 SG with the HD 110 kit installed by the local dealer, and it gets a whopping 90 HP on the dyno. [:@] So I also know where not to go for a tune.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: connsmith

It is how they make money. I put software on your computer, I will not teach you how to replace me...
I don't know about that since Bill Gates has made quite a few bucks by giving you the disk when you buy a computer with his software on it. Can you imagine how Microsoft would have screwed up if they took the same approach? Gate's theory is to keep making it better so you come back for more-better. HD might learn something there. IMO

Example: If you bought 3 quarts of oil at a dealer oil change and then the dealer put a lock on your oil fill cap and kept your 1/2 quart of leftover oil and told you that you would have to come back to them to have it topped off would you tolerate that?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I don't know about that since Bill Gates has made quite a few bucks by giving you the disk when you buy a computer with his software on it. Can you imagine how Microsoft would have screwed up if they took the same approach? Gate's theory is to keep making it better so you come back for more-better. HD might learn something there. IMO
MS requires systems to be sold with the OS software. Some OEM's did not follow this at all. Some only provide the OS media on the hard drive, so it the hard drive dies, your out of luck. And other OEM's only ship systems with recovery software. I wish I had a nickel for everyone who ran the recovery and asked where did all myfilesand photo's go. []In the lastcouple of years it has gotten better thou. It seemsthelarger the company, the less control they have.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can see both sides but anotherargument forhaving the file is, suppose your ECM gets fried you moved orthe dealer lost file or went out of business, you have to start from scratch again with a retune if you don't have file.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

I can see both sides but anotherargument forhaving the file is, suppose your ECM gets fried you moved orthe dealer lost file or went out of business, you have to start from scratch again with a retune if you don't have file.
Exactly......since my dealer "lost" (yeah sure) my dyno file I can attest to this definitely happening....[:@]Not to mention the fact that I had paid for the dyno time and effort that was on that file. The dealers have no copyright rights in this matter. The are just being ****** about it.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the same thing happen but I called the tech that did the dyno and told him I
wanted a copy just incase the ecm failed, after a long discussion he agreed if I
brought in a usb drive for him to put it on.

It is in your ecm, not in your SERT connector, you paid for it...you should have it,
just in case...

Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are paying for the tuner's time, then the work product should belong to you.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

IMO, the tuner and customer should havea copy of the map.