Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

pc3usb not seen by laptop

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008 | 02:06 PM
airdog
|
Cruiser
Default pc3usb not seen by laptop

Hey yall, I have a problem and need some help.

a while back I purchased a pc3usb from jamie at fuelmoto. bought a new gateway laptop a) to play with the bike and pc3 and b) for my stepdaughter to use at school. after reading a bunch of posts here, I determined I hadn't done the 0% throttle adjust and hooked up the pc3 to the laptop. vista home premium said to insert disk for driver and I did that. no drivers on the dynojet discs. called fuelmoto and dynojet and DJ said no drivers on disc, it uses a generic windows driver. powercommander program does not see my pc3. no maps indicated. Called Jamie and Keith at fuelmoto and sent it back. they tested and say its ok. I have no reason to doubt them, but after receiving it in the mail yesterday, I hooked it up a little while ago and still can't see the pc3 on my laptop.

Its not that I really want to do any adjustments or anything, I'd just like to have a backup of what jamie/fuelmoto loaded in for me. I've tried 3 different usb cords and usb being what it is, should be standardized across the board for connections to a pc. I can plug in another device and play away, but not the pc3.

any ideas?

is there anyone in the greenville NC area that has a working copy in their laptop that could help me out? I"m off tomorrow and could travel as far as 100 miles if necessary. I'm in Bath.

I could go to the harley shop for $30 or so an hour to the dyno but if I don't have to, would just as soon not.

I'm also going to post this in the Southeast forum hoping to find someone close.
thanks in advance,

airdog

Old 04-01-2008 | 03:27 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Default RE: pc3usb not seen by laptop

I think you cannot use widows vista on power commander. Try a laptop or home pc with windows xp.

Old 04-01-2008 | 09:52 PM
SKY_KING
3rd Gear

Vista works fine with my PCIII.

Old 04-02-2008 | 04:27 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Dumb question but did you hook up the battery?

Old 04-02-2008 | 06:52 AM
airdog
|
Cruiser

no.

from what I read, power from the bike for the pc3, computer is supposed to see it. also, read in a few posts that hooking up the battery
can cause the map to be erased/cleared. I don't know that much about these things to start from fresh.

thanks mike,

les

Old 04-02-2008 | 07:02 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

PC 3 USB works with my Vista OS laptop.

Old 04-02-2008 | 07:37 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

Thanks guys for letting me know about pc3 using vista need to up grade some pc's in the shop. If you want your pc to pc3 the ignition needs to be on the bike or you will need a 9v battery, if you donot want to turn on the bike.

1. install cd and down load it.
2. click on pc3 desktop
3. intstall usb cable to pc and pc3
4. install new 9v battery a good one.
5. if map is all ready loaded in brain box of the pc3
6. just click on get map it will load it.
7. then you can click on send map(make sure it is the right map)
8. that will make sure it is in pc3 box.
9. then start bike and let it warm up.
10. then you can reset your throttle pis.

take it for a ride and see what you think.......This just some order to try. follorw the instr sheets you will be fine.

Old 04-02-2008 | 12:19 PM
albatross
Road Warrior

I have the same problem. My laptop with Vista doesn't see the unit but if I take it inand power it with abattery on my desktop which is running XP, it works great. I've been checking their website for downloads, drivers or something but haven't seen anything.

Old 04-02-2008 | 01:11 PM
airdog
|
Cruiser

PROBLEM SOLVED! I'm a happy guy!

started delving in windows this morning, and can't tell you direct path now, but went in to control panel, clicked on show more, and it showed items installed and usb bus drivers. I saw pc3 clicked on it and it said no driver installed. clicked on the next goober link and installed a generic usb human interface driver. map immediately sprang to life. woohoo! I thought it might be driver related, but also thought with vista drivers, or some drivers anyway, were already loaded. this one just had to be activated and loaded.

thanks for the help and ideas.
I'm going out to wash my bike and take a ride.

les

Old 04-02-2008 | 03:20 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

My laptop didn't see the PCIII on the bike unless I started it or plugged the battery in it.

Quick Reply: pc3usb not seen by laptop