Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tuners????

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 AM
garyl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuners????

Without having to sift through all the posts, what is the consensus on the best ECM. ThunderMax, Power Commander, SE, Rev Tech ?????. I am running an 06 Ultra, true duals, Big Sucker with Rev Tech DFO. Not really sure that the DFO is what I want. Performance is okay, just not that big of a difference from stock. Seems that more people are happier with one of the other3 brands.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:01 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: tuners????

An ECM is not going to give you performance gains. It's your performance parts that give you gains above stock. The ECM lets you manage your performance parts. Given that, since you're only at "stage 1" levels, any ECM management system should let you modify AFR and/or timing to support a stage 1 bike.

Any ECM system will require you to dyno-tune your bike when you add performance pipes and high-flow air cleaner. All will give you "canned maps" to get you close.

I personally chose to go with the ThunderMax w/autotune. I felt the autotune feature with wide-band O2 sensors fit my needs better, since I ride in cold and hot and high and low altitude....the wide-band O2 sensors will auto-adjust AFR and keep the settings perfect in all riding conditions.

Just my 2 cents....

Old 04-01-2008, 08:47 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

I agree with mcouture

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My personal opinion is based on whether you dyno tune the bike with a really skilled tuner at the controls and the guy takes his time (4-5 hours) and goes through a very thorough tuning session. If this happens then you can't beat the SERT for performance. But the key is the skill of the tuner. I got lucky and got a map from Latus HD that was made for the exact combination of modifications I have so now my bike runs smooth & powerfullike it has never run before and the fuel economy has not changed at all.

If not then the T-max is good as well. But some have issues with fuel economy.

PCIII would be my 3rd choice because it is an add on part. But many are very happy with it.

So all three do the job.....just depends on what your needs/wants are.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
garyl
Cruiser

thanks, the info is appreciated