Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

To Confirm Understanding of SERT/SE AC/Pipes Process

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Confirm Understanding of SERT/SE AC/Pipes Process

I am trying to understand exactly what the process is, and what to expect from install of Rush 2", install of SE A/C Kit, and EFI Race Tuner Kit to a 2008 XL1200N Nightster. I've been reading through previous threads and am still not certain I understand things correctly. Your feedback would be very muchappreciated .

Okay, what I know:
[ul][*]Rush 2" installed at purchase[*]SERT/EFI Race Tuner Kitand SE A/C purchased, though don'tgoon until 1k, per dlr. recommendation[*]Approx. 575 miles now, pipes starting to pop on decel--understand this is a lean condition (dlr. says still okay to wait for 1k to run SERT/Install A/C)[/ul]
What I think I know:
[ul][*]Dealer willinstall A/C, and download a map to re-map theEFI to match the pipes and A/C--don't know if they will download map first and make adjustments B4 SERT, with final adjustments afterwards, or run SERT first then download map and adjust one time, or a combination somewhere in between.[*]The SERT should run over 2 hours, and should provide a readout something like what you get with a DYNO, yes?[*]I shouldn't need a DYNO with the SERT (is the DYNO just for non-EFI engines?).[/ul]
What I don't know:
[ul][*]I'm assuming HD has a map for Rush 2" with SE A/C--not unusual stuff, correct? Are the HD maps for this good (have read something about HD maps not being up to snuff, though this may be for another application).[*]Exactly how much improvement to expect, and whatbeyond fuel/air ratiois measured during the SERT--for example, hp on rear wheel, or engine, or both?[*]Can the Race Tuner be used more than once? (Assuming I should get to take this home with me, yes?)[*]Will the engine need a break-in period beyond 1k, so that I need to run a SERT again, even w/out addt'l future mods?[/ul]
Thanks for your help![sm=smiley14.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/47766/FEA94A38F0C948809D151C5E25111D2F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2008, 09:02 PM
dynaglider
Tourer
Default RE: To Confirm Understanding of SERT/SE AC/Pipes Process

I have SE air cleaner, V & H slip-ons, and SERT, which were installed by my dealer.

As far as I've seen, Harley maps don't mention any specific equipment that is not H-D. Your tuner may know a map that has worked well with your model of bike and Rush slip-ons.

Your race tuner can be used more than once. But once used on your bike, it's "locked" and can't be used with another bike.

Your dealer has a few canned maps for specific situations (like "Stage 1") that they can put on your bike without having to buy a SERT. But the SERT comes with lots more maps for many more combinations on a CD ROM disk. The SERT is used to put custom maps on your bike. It is a small electronic doohickey with two cables. One cable connects your bike to the SERT. The other cable connects the SERT to a Windows PC (a laptop or desktop computer at the dealer, or your very own laptop computer if you want to do this at home). The other "thing" a SERT comes with is some fancy software that has to be loaded on the PC.

The technician picks a custom map that he thinks will work with your bike, either from Harley or one that he saved from working on someone else's bike. He loads the map on the PC and then sends it to your bike thru the SERT.

At this point he can test ride the bike, and say, "Well, that hauls ***," and be done. Or he can strap your bike on a machine called a dyno, stick a sensor wand in its tailpipe, and test ride it on the dyno. He looks at the performance readouts that the dyno provides and, using his vast experience and judgement, he tweaks the custom map using the software that he installed on the PC. Then he sends the tweaked map to your bike again and "test rides" it to see if it runs "better". Rinse and repeat until it's "right", which is something of a judgement call.

There should not be any break-in period needed. You shouldn't need to do this again unless you change equipment significantly on your bike.

How much improvement to expect? Numbers don't mean much to me. But the fact that my bike no longer pings means a lot to me. And my "seat of the pants dyno" tells me it runs stronger. And my "smile-o-meter" tells me I'm happy.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Thank you dynaglider, very very much [sm=smiley1.gif][sm=thanx.gif]! You'd makea good teacher--your clear and simple explanation makes perfect sense--I think I finally get it! I know I'd get it seeing it, but wanted more of a graspbefore taking my bike in. Now I also understand why the SERT was so expensive, even with a package discount. And hopefully they've done enough of this combination by now that they've got a map dialed in, so I won't need adyno. My smile-o-meter is already high, I just might blow a grin chip if it gets to be too much more fun. Thanks again for taking the time to spell this out a bit--I'll be sure and pay it forward when I know enough to help out the next guy or gal asking silly newbie questions ! Take care, and keep smilin[8D]!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

You're very welcome. It's nice to be useful still as a guy gets older.

I thought of a couple other things. Your dealer should give you a copy of the map they put on your bike on a floppy or CD ROM disk for safe-keeping by you. You may have to ask for this. Apparently SERT maps cannot be pulled back from the bike. They are strictly one way from SERT to bike. So you have to have a copy on floppy or CD if you don't want to start from scratch next time. (However, there won't be a next time unless you change equipment on the bike significantly.)

Also, my dealer tried to keep the SERT. I had to make them give it to me. If you think there's any chance you'll let someone else tune it or you don't want to depend on the dealer to store it and find it again later, you may want to have it in your own safe storage.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:51 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer

Hi Dynaglide--thanks for the heads up on the SERT map--something to think about. And hey, about being useful as one gets older--some of our best work and contribution comes when we are old enough to know better and give a damn. I think of Lincoln, Churchill, my dad (bought a new XL1200C last year, at 70 years old), myself (just turned 48--healthier, contributing more,and having more fun than at any other time in my life) and so on. Every day is a new day Dynaglide--each day is what we make it, yes? Besides, mature fellows know more about many things. I for one appreciate a little salt with my pepper ! Take care, and thanks again!

Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just make sure you take your SERT module and all the documentation and/or CD's that came with it home with you. Once it is used one time to upload a map to your ecm it is "married" to that vin number and cannot be used on another bike. Therefore it is useless to anyone else but you. However, I have heard of a couple of people who had their dealer keep the module and lose it requiring them to buy a new one.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:25 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

However, I have heard of a couple of people who had their dealer keep the module and lose it requiring them to buy a new one.
That's exactly what I would be worried about.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:33 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: LdyMjo

And hey, about being useful as one gets older--some of our best work and contribution comes when we are old enough to know better and give a damn. I think of Lincoln, Churchill, my dad (bought a new XL1200C last year, at 70 years old), myself (just turned 48--healthier, contributing more, and having more fun than at any other time in my life) and so on. Every day is a new day Dynaglide--each day is what we make it, yes? Besides, mature fellows know more about many things. I for one appreciate a little salt with my pepper ! Take care, and thanks again!
Thanks, Lady Mojo, for the kind words. Glad to hear you're doing well as we all get older. I can't really complain. Even bad times have eventually opened doors to good times. But I do sometimes wish I could go back to being 19 years old, still knowing a few of the things I know now. Hey, now!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you leave with the SERT module (dongle) and the software. The cables are extra, so you may not have purchased them in your orginal deal. If the dealer downloads a custom map with the SERT, make sure you get a copy of the map (a computer file), too, because it cannot be uploaded from the ECM. If you decide to "play" with the map on your own, you will need a computer that you can get close to the bike (laptop works best) and a set of cables which are about $30 bucks.