Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Aficionados...Will it remain proportional?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
HERKO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Aficionados...Will it remain proportional?

Specific question is if I set 13.2 in all the AFR Tables and tune with the VE Tables to get 14.2 everywhere...when I move the AFR tables up or down will the actual AFR still move proportionately?

[/align] [/align] Reason: the AFR table for 100 MAP in the 05 M.Y. Calsgoes no leaner than 13.2. I'll want to make wholesale changes up and down in AFR for R&D purposes...ie using the AFR Table in lieu of changing the VE Tables. I will need leaner than 13.2 actual at 100 MAP.[/align]

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: SERT Aficionados...Will it remain proportional?

I don't think that will work. You need to tune the VE tables.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
HERKO
Cruiser

Yes, understand that part. Am going to do initial calibration (AFR's F&R) with VE Tables.

It's the afterward wholesale movement of AFR's up and down for R&D testing purposes.

Some knowledge shared elsewhere mentioned the SERT/ECM relationship is more linear than was given credit. This will likely work...a 13.2 Table number representing 14.2 actual. Will know tomorrow as it will be tried.

Was just looking for someone with first hand experience with this situation before trying this out.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

If you set the AFR at 13.2 thats what your asking the ECM to give you.....if your asking for 13.2 why settle for a 14.2 target. Set your target at 13.2 and then all your AFR tables will be true to what they say they are when you set Reference back to the original afr table.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerkoBagger

Yes, understand that part. Am going to do initial calibration (AFR's F&R) with VE Tables.

It's the afterward wholesale movement of AFR's up and down for R&D testing purposes.

Some knowledge shared elsewhere mentioned the SERT/ECM relationship is more linear than was given credit. This will likely work...a 13.2 Table number representing 14.2 actual. Will know tomorrow as it will be tried.

Was just looking for someone with first hand experience with this situation before trying this out.

I get what you are trying to do, and I think it should work. Basically you're going to tell the system that the motor is pulling in more air than it really is so you can set it to run a known amount richer than the values displayed in the cells and still use the O2 sensors to their max effect. Although I think you mean that you want an actual 13.2 : 1 displayed as 14.2 : 1, so you will always be running 1 point richer than the cells display.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

But why would you do that....it reminds me of my wife setting the clocks ahead 10 minutes so she won't be late for work, it doesn't make sense, but to each his own...

Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 PM
HERKO
Cruiser

Doc 1...why you ask?
Because the cals for 2005's M.Y. go no leaner than 13.2 in the AFR table in the operational areas that I need to go leaner.

BTW...to all...it did work work well. Set 13.2 in all AFR Table cells...and cal'd all areas to 14.2 actual.
Then in lieu of shifting the gm/sec rating etc...I can now set say 12.5 and get right at an actual 13.5.
Made for easier experimenting of best AFR for best power.

Doc...I know you're the tuning guru...but as some updated head TC head prep technology (Squish Grooves...not new technology but recently being incorporated "again" on TC heads) continues to prove beneficial on Twin Cams...you too may have the need to offset your cell number/actual AFR by 1.0 or so. Try it sometime. But who am I...

FWIW...making 1.15 TQ per cu in purposely tuning with 89 octane at 10.50 static CR/ 9.65 dynamic CR...with NO ping. Also...this engine likes 14.1 (fourteen point one) for best power at WOT.
The grooves work. The 13.2/14.2 offset works.

Herko

Old 04-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member

There is more at stake here than just finding the most power at WOT 14.1....if you knew that you wouldn't be doing what your doing. ... BUT THEN WHO AM I.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM
HERKO
Cruiser

Yes, tuning the WOT area is the easy part.

It's all the part throttle area(s) tuning that takes the most time but makes for the best tune. The offset AFR table worked great for tuning the part throttle areas too. Just sayin'

Afterall, part throttle is where we ride the most...yes?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:06 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HerkoBagger

Doc 1...why you ask?
Because the cals for 2005's M.Y. go no leaner than 13.2 in the AFR table in the operational areas that I need to go leaner.

BTW...to all...it did work work well. Set 13.2 in all AFR Table cells...and cal'd all areas to 14.2 actual.
Then in lieu of shifting the gm/sec rating etc...I can now set say 12.5 and get right at an actual 13.5.
Made for easier experimenting of best AFR for best power.

Doc...I know you're the tuning guru...but as some updated head TC head prep technology (Squish Grooves...not new technology but recently being incorporated "again" on TC heads) continues to prove beneficial on Twin Cams...you too may have the need to offset your cell number/actual AFR by 1.0 or so. Try it sometime. But who am I...

FWIW...making 1.15 TQ per cu in purposely tuning with 89 octane at 10.50 static CR/ 9.65 dynamic CR...with NO ping. Also...this engine likes 14.1 (fourteen point one) for best power at WOT.
The grooves work. The 13.2/14.2 offset works.

Herko

Nope you lost me to now m8. It looks like you have offset all values to allow the bike to run 1 point leaner. When set up to correct VE the program will allow you to run at 14.6 : 1, how lean do you want to go?. I would have understood if you were looking for say 1/2 a point richer which on paper looks like you could get to a real 14.1 : 1, and leave the CLB tables in the mid range.

Stock my RK ran too hot for me and I wanted it a little richer. Following advice on the forum I aimed for around 14.1 : 1 which seems to have reduced the heat considerably and I still get reasonable mpg. This was acheived primarily by increasing the CLB tables to maintain the closed loop use of the O2 sensors. I then did offset the VE by a maximum of 2 points in a few areas to reduce the knock sensor activity. It all seems to have worked fine.

Quick Reply: SERT Aficionados...Will it remain proportional?