Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help with ECM signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 AM
bikergar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with ECM signals

Help me understand the ECM without getting real technical please. I understand open loop vs closed loop and I know that there are tables that the ECM uses under different conditions.

Having said the above and using a stock bike, 2007,driving along in closed loop and (for the purpose of my feeble brain) I encounter a huge temp change, the ECM through the o2 sensors modify something. Now if I go WOT have the open loop tables been modified by my running first in closed loop into the huge temp change.

I guess my real question is what affect does changing conditions in closed loop have when you go into open loop. I ask because of devices that modify the o2 sensor signal and trick the ECM in closed loop into thinking something is happening that is not. This is great in closed loop but what happens to things when you pass into open loop and the trick signal is no longer there. Has anything been changed in the open loop tables or do you go from a rich vs stock closed loop signal to a lean stock open loop signal.

I wrote this and it even confuses me.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Help with ECM signals

Depending on your riding conditions your ECM is continually going in and out of open & closed loop mode. When it is in closed loop ( like cruising) it is learning and operating from the 02 sensor signals. When something changes to throw it into open loop ( like a WOT) it reverts back to the lookup tables in your ECM map. This is the wayI understand it. How those devices (like IED's)effect those changes is still unclear to me but I understand where you are coming from. The SERT simply dials in anoptimal look up table so switching in and out of closed/open loopis smoothand allows for optimal AFR and performance.

Of course then you change your air cleaner or pipes and all that crap goes right out the window and you have to start all over again........

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
bikergar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with ECM signals

That is my concern. Are the open "tables" getting any modification from closed loop running.