Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Rough Riding at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008 | 09:40 PM
DynaGlyda
|
Advanced
Default Rough Riding at low RPMs

I just bought a used 99 Dyna Super Glide Sport. I had some work done at the local "shop" due to massive power surges. I was told it was the intake Manifold gasket.
After recieving my bike after the work was done it ran 400 times better BUT im still experiencing small shutters and hesitation when cruising at low rpms around 1000 and 2500 RPMs. i was informed by the shop that put my bike back together that he tuned the carb a little "rich" because he said "the twin cam 88's run better a little rich". Do you think he might of tuned the bike a little rich for conditions or is there somthing a little deeper going on. Whats some sure signs its running rich other than wet pluggs and gas spitting out the pipes ?

Old 03-22-2008 | 10:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Rough Riding at low RPMs

Are you lugging the motor at low speed?

Old 03-24-2008 | 08:19 PM
rbabos
Banned

A little rich won't cause problems like that . A lot rich might. look for black smoke coming out of the pipes as a sign for excessively rich. Hesitation is not usually a condition of rich, but more lean than anything else. This quite often will cause spitting back into the carb at the time of hesitation. At lower rpms the ride will be jerky as well if lean.
You need to determine what condition actually exists and go from there to fix it.
Ron

Old 03-26-2008 | 03:12 PM
DynaGlyda
|
Advanced

I guess i could be riding at too low of an RPM for the speed.. . I guess i was use to keepin it in the high gear on my Metric Cruiser that now i just cant do that on the harley.

For example, Cruizin around in 4th gear doin 35 MPH....

Anyone know the "cruising" rpms's for the twin cam 88's?

I heard you wanna keep them somewhat decent due to loss of oil preasure at low RPM's.

I could be riding the bike all wrong too. Thanx for everybody's input.

And "ron", there is NO smoke when riding. little when i start the bike up ice cold, but then it goes away ASAP.

I guess ill just run the bike right at the hesitation, then kill it and pull the pluggs and see if there wet or somthing...