Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage One

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage One

My buddy and myself have been having a discussion about Stage One Download and exactly what it means or what is required. What is meant by Stage One ECM download.I presently run a S/E a/c with S/E exhaust and the Power Commander III on my 2004 Electra Glide Classic. I guess what we trying to find out is when does the timing need to be changed or even ifit has to be done. A little help here guys...

Old 03-17-2008, 07:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Stage One

The stage 1 download you get from your dealer is a re-map for your ecm to account for the increased airflow from the new A/C and exhaust it is EPA compliant. You should get that at least to use as a base map for your PCIII to work off of. Your timing does not need to be changed as any timing changes are done on the map which is a software re-program for the ECM. The PCIII will adjust based on that program variables but it doesn't change that base program.

If you get the SERT you have a more aggressive non-EPA compliant map that comes with it and you can further tune the bikes parameters such as air/fuel mix , timing, airflow, etc. off of that map and you are actually writing a new program for the ECM. You can re-write this as many times as you want or have a skilled dyno tuner custom tune your bike

If you get a Tmax you are actually replacing the ECM and 02 sensors and adding an autotune module and new map programs.

If you get the IED's they are a plug on device that kind of tricks your ecm into giving you a richer air/fuel mixture. Hope this helps. KB

Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
crackercap
Road Master

Okay, good information, now, i installed S/E exhaust without any stage one download done as was it wasn't needed per service mgr's suggestion, I then ordered the PCIII and installed it for the heat issue, later I added the S/E air filter and downloaded the map Jamie suggested. Runs great with just a minimal amount of popping during during deceleration. Should I have had a Stage one download at the beginning and since I did not is the PCIII download I now have make up for it?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I would get the download. It will get you closer to yourcalibration for the air cleaner increased air flow. Then the PCIII won't have to adjust off the base map as much and may be able to dial in where it needs to be. It should eliminate the decel popping which is a lean condition indication. But, you won't know for sure until you do it. So it's a $150 crap shoot. That said, if you ever want to disconnect you will have the right map in your ecm with the download.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are using a PC III or any other fuel management device then you would not need the HD Stage 1 download. The fuel management device that you install will take care of your settings. When you get a fuel management device you should be able to download a map or settings that correspond with the pipes & A/C that you add.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:09 PM
crackercap
Road Master

Thanks guys for all your input, I'm a little more knowledgable each time I get on this forum, maybe thats a bad thing but I do enjoy reading all the helpful advice and suggestions. I'm sure I will have more questions asking for help or advice..Many thanks!!!