Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Question on Stage One downloads in 06 bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Stage One downloads in 06 bikes.

Since an 06 Touring bike was caught in the EPAs more stringent push, was the Stage One download for a late Touring bike with the 25 degree injectors leaner and/or more advanced in timing than prior years?

I am having some success dialing in my PCIII but because of the need to know what the Stage one actually is on this bike, am having to do more timing retarding etc. than I expected.

I was told the DL was for an 06 Touring bike with SE intake ONLY. Stock , catylst mufflers left on and they may have had another DL for a bike with aftermarket exhausts. This seems leaner and more timing advanced (to meet EPA emissions stds.?) than my earlier 04 was.

06 Twinkies were a bastid year, apparently. Meeting new stds. without the O2 sensors and using a catylist muffler that 05s didn't use and was a one year shot. I suspect it needs both timing (already doing that) and fuel adjustments NOT contemplated in most canned maps because of the differences in the Stage one DL and late model year efforts to keep bikes with the 25degree injectors compliant.

Anybody know for sure?

EZ

Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Question on Stage One downloads in 06 bikes.

I'm pretty sure the HD stage 1 downloads are all EPA compliant and will be leaner than say a SERT canned map since the SERT is for off road use only. I doubt they will have one for race exhausts as that is what the SERT is designed to do.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on Stage One downloads in 06 bikes.

Thanks, reason I asked is they kept asking if I was going to put mufflers on later too. They said it like there was a choice of Stage One downloads, depending on whether you changed the stock mufflers to slipons. Since my county was talking about starting sniff tests, I elected to stay "legal". It pinged a bit butwas told it was "normal". After reducing the ping to nearly gone with a PCIII and retarding the timing considerably in the range (2200 to about 3200 RPM) , I am struggling with getting the best combo dialed in. I can eliminate the pinging altogether but then, run rich a bit. I was really surprized at how much timing I took away and still have slight rattle unless I richen it up beyond what I really want to. Makes me really suspicious of how much these things were leaned out and advanced to stay EPA compliant.

Like I said, I think it is a "stepchild" year because of the limited number they dealt with, knowing the closed loop was coming. Add that they changed injectors mid year AND used catylist exhaust on these bikes and youhave something "normal" maps can't address.

Funny how when you start to playwith it , perfection becomes the goal.

EZ