Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Race Tuner Error

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM
bandit1250
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Race Tuner Error

"Unable toInstall bootloader, Quitting"
As i said. often wrong tuningfile. Try another!!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have bought a Power Commander! Much easier!!

(sorry, had to do it just like the SERT people do when Power Commander problems come up)

Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen while trying to tune my '07 FLHRS. I talked to some computer geeks about it and did some experimentation. Seems that this is due to a couple of problems. Most newer laptops don't have a serial port out--you are forced to use a USB to serial adapter (the Belkin that everyone's talking about) or some other brand of adapter. The Belkin FU was designed initially at least to help you transmit data to a PDA--and a lot of guys apparently have tried to use this adapter for tuning bikes and cars and gotten frustrated with the errors they throw (like the one you got) and returned them. I got the problem you got, and I also was getting a blue-screen on the laptop and it would just suddenly reboot in the middle of the download. Very disturbing!! Another issue you may have experienced is the program can't seem to hang onto the com port setting. You have to constantly reassign the com port even if you didn't move the cable whenever you start another download or recording.

I ordered a PCMCIA Serial Port adapterto avoid thecom port problem, and in themeantime I got the Belkin to work by downloading the updated driver from their website.That seemed to resolve the unable to get past the bootloader problem and is working consistently now.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact same experience with the Radio Shack adapter. Same messages and everything. Took the adapter back to Radio Shack and went to Office Depot and got the Belkin. Got home hooked it up and it worked perfect. Someone stated on an earlier post that not all usb adapters support all the different speeds that serial ports use. The Belkin must be one of the better ones.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLSTF

I had the exact same experience with the Radio Shack adapter. Same messages and everything. Took the adapter back to Radio Shack and went to Office Depot and got the Belkin. Got home hooked it up and it worked perfect. Someone stated on an earlier post that not all usb adapters support all the different speeds that serial ports use. The Belkin must be one of the better ones.
Belkin makes high quality stuff. I also use a Belkin travel surge protector on my SERT laptop and HD battery tender. We get an average 460 electrical spikes a year here. All I need is to get one while I am programming my ECM and fry my ignition system. The Belkin comes with a $25k warranty to replace/repair whatever it is connected to if a surge gets through.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Ripsnortr
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I have the Balkin on it's way, and I was able to borrow a laptop from work that has a serial port and it uploaded FINE!

I may just be in the advanced staged of cabin fever, but it did sound like it had a litle more throat to it now, and seemed more responsive. I can't wait for warmer tems to get rid of some of this years glaciers and see how she sfeels on the road.

Thank you all for the input and PM's. I will be filling in the gaps as riding allows.