Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sparkplug choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Sparkplug choice

I was reading in the DIY forums regarding alternatives to the HD stock plugs. One of the things mentioned there is the potential for ION sensing to be affected if not using HD plugs. I'm somewhat ignorant in this area.

Basic plug construction is a constant throughout the industry, with the noted exception for the differences used in fabrication for heat ranges/ceramics and electrodes. It's not like there is a sensing chip in the HD plugs or anything simialr to that. That being understood, if the non HD plug heat range is matched, what is so special about stock HD plugs that by changing to another brand would affect ION sensing as mentioned by HDF Tech in the DIY forum?

Old 03-08-2008, 03:56 PM
fxrp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sparkplug choice

There's nothing special about the HD plugs. Last I heard theywere Champions and I wouldn't run a Champion plug in my lawnmower. Think of itlike the old HD statement that synthetic oil is "toooooo slippery;"completeBS.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:39 PM
CCPD
Cruiser

Your scoot will run on the other plugs, but the ignition system was designed with the champion plugs and stock wires. I may be wrong on this as I am not a mechanic, but the ion knock sensing system works on electrical signals recieved thru the plug wires from the plugs. Changingthe wires or plugs may change the signal slightly and may cause your knock to be incorrectly diagnosed by the equipment or not sensed at all.

You will get a multitude of different answers to this question. If you want to test another plug by all means give it a try. If your happy with the results stick with it.

Chris

Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

Well the best is yet to come.

This spring you'll be able to buy HD gasoline, its been specially blended for the unique demands of the Harley V-Twin engine. Caution: Use of other brands of gasoline MAY void your waranty. MSRP: $9.99/gallon.

And later this summerproprietary tire inflation blendswill beavailable;one blend is specific totouring and softail models,the otheris forsport bikes, dyna, sportster and V Rods. MSRP: $1.99/psi.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:04 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: fxrp

Well the best is yet to come.

This spring you'll be able to buy HD gasoline, its been specially blended for the unique demands of the Harley V-Twin engine. Caution: Use of other brands of gasoline MAY void your waranty. MSRP: $9.99/gallon.

And later this summerproprietary tire inflation blendswill beavailable;one blend is specific totouring and softail models,the otheris forsport bikes, dyna, sportster and V Rods. MSRP: $1.99/psi.
Well, it's about time!!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
EZ2Rider
Road Master

IF the plugs resistance is different from the stock plug, you may get faulty ION sensor operation. That would also include using HD's own forked electrode, platinum plugs.

That said, NGKs are the choice of many tuners.

EZ

Old 03-08-2008, 07:54 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used ngk's on all my hd's, never a problem.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 AM
encorebilly
Advanced

ORIGINAL: CCPD

Your scoot will run on the other plugs, but the ignition system was designed with the champion plugs and stock wires. I may be wrong on this as I am not a mechanic, but the ion knock sensing system works on electrical signals recieved thru the plug wires from the plugs. Changingthe wires or plugs may change the signal slightly and may cause your knock to be incorrectly diagnosed by the equipment or not sensed at all.

You will get a multitude of different answers to this question. If you want to test another plug by all means give it a try. If your happy with the results stick with it.

Chris
Hope they don't quit making champion plugs or we will have to sell our bikes!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I tried some autolites......threw codes every time I rode it. So there is some truth to the ion sensing issue. BTW, I tried the Harley Davidson air in my tires.......works great!!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:05 AM
encorebilly
Advanced

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I tried some autolites......threw codes every time I rode it. So there is some truth to the ion sensing issue. BTW, I tried the Harley Davidson air in my tires.......works great!!
Must depend on the bike because I've used the autolite and ngk and can't tell much difference and no codes with either.