Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

T-Max & dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
intruder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Max & dead battery

What would cause the Thundermax to draine my battery? Seems that since I installed the Thundermax my battery is dead in 2 days that shouldn't happen never did before.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: T-Max & dead battery

Supposedly there are a small number of units that will do this. If you don't already have 4.5 or 4.6 firmwareit may stop it with the updated firmware. Last I read was they are looking into the cause of this isolated problem.
Ron

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
intruder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll try updating the firm ware I haven't done that yet. I'm also going to contact T-Max tomorrow.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just curious if you have the Delphi or Magneti Marelli EFI, since I am considering buying a T Max for my MagMar EFI, and sure don't want any battery probs, to go along with the probs I already have.......

Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: intruder

Thanks I'll try updating the firm ware I haven't done that yet. I'm also going to contact T-Max tomorrow.
Just so you know, when you update to 4.5 or 4.6 the module diagnosics window in the program will show O2 sensor faults when you check them. This is normal with the updated versions. This feature at the present time is not active so it shows faults on front and rear. O2 sensor checks are done with front and rear afr gauges for a reading of 19.36. In versoin 4.6 it addresses the problems with the low fuel light accurracy. The only difference that I see between the two. Hope the update cures the battery drain problem.
Ron

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does it address the problem with the low fuel light warning?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 AM
rbabos
Banned

From what the site says the light always worked but when it came on was not always accurate, or predictable.Recommendation was to use the odometer until it was resolved, which most of us do anyway.4.6 is the fix.
Ron

Old 02-28-2008, 09:46 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer

Thanks for the answer. I did not know the ecm was involved with the low fuel light. That thing was not accurate with stock ecm either. Like you I just use my odometer.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer

I found this in the tuning manual, but I may not have the latest manual downloaded.
Low fuel light (Up to 2007 models)-
The low fuel light will operate exactly the same
whether you are using the ThunderMax ECM or the factory ECM. Our in house
testing has found that the low fuel light does not activate at the same time on every
tank. What this means is that the volume of fuel left in the tank when the low fuel
light comes on, varies almost every time it is activated. This inconsistency is not

Old 02-28-2008, 10:51 AM
davidwideglide06
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rbabos

From what the site says the light always worked but when it came on was not always accurate, or predictable.Recommendation was to use the odometer until it was resolved, which most of us do anyway.4.6 is the fix.
Ron
I did check the latest manual and you were right they do state there will be a fix for the low fuel level light for the 2008 model dynas and softtails.

Quick Reply: T-Max & dead battery