Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Race Tuners,power commanders, etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Arkievet
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tuners,power commanders, etc

Ok, I have been constantly hearing that if you change the exhaust and airbox then its necessary to remap the ECMwith either an aftermarket device such as the V&H FuelPak, Powercommander, etc. or go with the Harley Race tuner. I have an 07 FLSTC with Rush slipons and plan on adding the Stage 1 SC air intake. Of course my dealer is pushing the Race Tuner and everone seems to pretty much agree that is is a good product. However the dealer says an hour of labor is all it will take so it sounds like they are planning on using a ready made map and not putting it on a dyno. My question is though in the April edition of American Iron there is an article on page 186 where they replace the stock air intake with an S&S quick set up kit and a set of S&S slip on mufflers. The author of the article states that the stock ECM will automatically readjust itself after approximately 15 minutes on a dyno with no adjustments, aftermarket devices, or a race tuner. So if this is true then why would I need to purchase a Race Tuner or aftermarket device since my Rush Slipons and SC stage 1 air intake are not that much different than the S&S slipons and air intake???
Confused!
Dave

Old 02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Race Tuners,power commanders, etc

You may want to follow this thread for more info. https://www.hdforums.com/m_2913946/tm.htm

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Race Tuners,power commanders, etc

ORIGINAL: Arkievet

However the dealer says an hour of labor is all it will take so it sounds like they are planning on using a ready made map and not putting it on a dyno.

Did you ask them if they were going to dyno the bike? If they are going to just install the SERT base map that comes with the software then you can do that yourself in about 15 minutes.

My question is though in the April edition of American Iron there is an article on page 186 where they replace the stock air intake with an S&S quick set up kit and a set of S&S slip on mufflers. The author of the article states that the stock ECM will automatically readjust itself after approximately 15 minutes on a dyno with no adjustments, aftermarket devices, or a race tuner.

I am not sure what they would adjust the ECM with.

So if this is true then why would I need to purchase a Race Tuner or aftermarket device since my Rush Slipons and SC stage 1 air intake are not that much different than the S&S slipons and air intake???

You don't need a tuner if you get the Stage 1 download from your dealer. But you probably won't be happy with the results.

Confused!
Dave