Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM
SMacDunk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Question...

07 FLHRC. I just installed SE Street Performance Slip ons & SE high-flow A/C (pipes sound good BTW!). Now for the tune...

I just started reading the SERT documentation, but it seems my obvious/only map alternative is map #78. I see lots of banter about maps and tuning in here and am confused... other than tuning the canned mapvia the data/tuning modes (which I haven't fully digested yet), there doesn't seem to be much to choose from in terms of what to do next (just download #78 and ride). Am I missing something?

Appreciate advice/comments...

[IMG]local://upfiles/37154/8031857C3447482290DAAEA8C1621D3A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: SERT Question...

[align=left]Configuration: 1580 SE A/C & Race Exhaust[/align][align=left]File Name: 176PZ005-A0.MT6[/align][align=left]Components:[/align][align=left]• 25deg Injectors P/N 27709-06[/align][align=left]• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99C[/align][align=left]• Race Exhaust[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I do believe this is number 78. That should be your base map. Load it up and ride. You want to make any tuning adjustments off this base map whether you tune it yourself or go to a dyno tuner. Just make sure if you make any changes you document them in the notes and save that map under a different name. An example might be save as: 176PZ005-AOmodified1.MT6 you want to be sure to not overwrite your original base map accidentally. I create a "work" folder on my C drive and save all my custom maps there so I don't screw the originals. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]BTW, this is the base map made for the MoCo for the specific parts you have installed versus the stock map that came with the bike. It should run ok but you may want to get it tuned by a dyno tuner or do it yourself to get different results. Some people load up their base map and it runs fine. In my case it ran ok but not as good as a tuned map. There are no high performance tuned maps because that would not be EPA compliant and after all these tuners are for off road use only. [/align]

Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
flhtc07ok
Advanced

You know, you're standing there with this little black cheepo-looking box and cables in your hand (that you paid dearly for) and it just sounds so simple to plug, dump, and run. Well, it is.

But KBFXDLI is right on with both the calibration and the advise to. Load the map (#78)and consider it a starting point that's much better than the stock map from the factory, better than the Stage I, but not quite able to squeeze all of the potential out of the motor. Keep in mind that the SERT tuner, and the maps that it comes with are "for track use". Don't expect the bike to do wheelies at the traffic light, but these(SERT) maps should becloser to a performance oriented target than stock or Stage I streetloads.

Use the data mode if you want to be on-and-off the bike a few dozen times, or spring the bucks for a dyno. Either way, the base map is just a starting point. For me, I want to ride and enjoy, not spend my time wondering and tweaking - so I'm off to a dyno in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:57 PM
SMacDunk
Intermediate

Good advice all... thanks. I'm going to load the map tomorrow, see how it runs, and plan for a real dyno sometime in the spring. I agree- this should be better than stock, and a starting point. I'm psyched!

thanks again...