Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Adding A Tach

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
bugzapper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding A Tach

I have a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide that came stock without a tach. I've been thinking about buying an aftermarket tach and installing it. How difficult is it to install (I am not real mechanically inclined) and would adding it be of enough benefit to offset cost? All advice and opinions are appreciated.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
flhtc07ok
Advanced
Default RE: Adding A Tach

The answer to your question depends.

If your going to buy a H-D tach, the instructions and hook-up are very easy because the H-D tach is designed to integrate with the existing wiring. I've added tachs to two previous bikes and in both cases, it was relatively easy (one was a Sporty that has the tach inits own pod and the other was to my Road King where I bought the tach/speedo combo mounted on the gas tank). In both cases, the wires were right where the instruction sheet said they would be and the color coding was right on.

I can't speak for an after market tach.

The second part of this is to warn you that not having patience andenough of the right tools to make the job easy is important - no job is ever easy without the right tools. Remember that mounting the tach may require you to loosen or take off the clamps that secure your handle bars, if you're going to mount a seperate tach pod. To make sure you get your bars back on correctly, you should have a torque wrench available (along with either blue or red thread lock compound).

Twothingsare a given, when you do your own wrenching, you'll get to know your bike and you have no one to blame but yourself if it gets hosed up. BTW, even if the instructions are as clear as they can be, you should have a service manual to reference call-outs in the instructions that are not printed on the instruction sheet.

As far as the bennies vesus the cost, I like to have a tach just to confirm what the motor sounds and the pipes are telling me regarding gear selection and efficient cruising RPMs.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well atated buddy.

I installed the HD nostalgic minitach last month, among other things. Good thing with HD, instructions are pretty well defined and clear. I had 3 wires to contend with:
[ol][*]tach source - installed into empty slot of speedo connector - pin supplied and already crimped for you.[*]power - installed in P&A slot of fuse block - pin supplied and already crimped for you[*]ground - attached to frame.[/ol]
If you lift and pull back the tank, you have anought access to the harness and cable conduit to run the power and ground to the back.

go for it!!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:57 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

bugzapper:

I installed an Autometer Pro Tach on my Son's '04 Deuce a couple of years ago, and it worked absolutely flawless and was hands-down a much better instrument that the POS MoCo Tachs. Did a lot of research on the factory tachs, and found the failure rate was quiet high for them.

Some documentation you'll be interested in:

February 9, 2004
Accessory Instruments On 2004 Models
[font=arial]
We have had questions about installing Mini Tachs on the 2004 models. They will work
on models with 5 inch speedometers. 2004 EFI models still have the rpm signal at the
ecm (terminal 3) but we don't route the pink wire to the front any more because we now
get the rpm signal off the data bus. The 2004 ICM (carb models) does not have a signal
terminal available for a Mini Tach. You can get the rpm signal you need, with either fuel
system, by connecting the signal wire to the 5 inch speedometer at terminal 3. You will
need a terminal, part number 74196-04, for the speedo connection. Mini Tach
instruction sheets for 5 inch speedometer vehicles have been updated to include 2004
model information. Instruction sheets can be viewed on h-dnet. Kit number 68950-99A,
for XL Custom, will not work on the 2004 model.
The new Speedo/Tach kit recently introduced for 2004 models differs from our other
instruments and will likely have some customers asking questions. The odometer LCD
mileage display remains on at all times, even when the switch is OFF. If shut off while
in Trip mode, the light will go out and the Trip meter will switch to odometer total vehicle
mileage. When the switch is turned back on, it will go back to wherever it was last, Trip
1, Trip 2 or Odometer.
One other difference, the display uses "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" rather than production's "Trip
A" and "Trip B".

Also:

[quote]
Accessory Power - 2004 Models
2004 Twin Cam and Sportster vehicles have a "tap off" from the maxifuse called a B+ / P&A
Battery connector. This is the battery power source for electrical accessories that require
constant battery power and in the past would have been connected to the main circuit breaker.
This B+ connector is covered with an empty connector to prevent a short to ground. All P&A
kits packaged after the start of the 2004 model year will have the capability to mate with the B+
connector.
Accessories packaged prior to 2004 model year will require the following procedure for use on a
2004 vehicle. Remove the empty connector from the B+, attach the appropriate wire terminal
from the list below to the fused accessory power wire, mate the assembled connector with the
B+.
Terminal Part Number Wire Size
72101-04 #14 - 16 AWG
72105-04 #12 AWG
72107-04 #16-18 AWG
72125-04 #20-22 AWG
[left]Note[font="times new roman"][

Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

I have an 03 Wide Glide and have just scored a riser-mount HD tach and mounting hardware on e-bay but I don't have installation instructions (the tach itself is used (1 year old)). Can someone point me to a set of accurate instructions for my bike? I assume it shouldn't be too hard, but things change sometimes between models of the same bike year-to-year (the instructions above for the 2004 might be totally wrong for my bike). Pardon the newbie question...thanks for any help. BTW, do I need to buy a harness for this or does the necessary wiring come with the tach?

Thanx in advance

Old 07-16-2008, 05:07 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Your dealer should be able to email you a PDF version of the instructions.&nbsp\\; Chicago HD has done that for me in the past.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008, 06:28 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/commercial.php&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
murphdog
Road Master

Malibyte, the 03 Dynas still had the pink tach signal wire under the dash. It's bundled up in the wire harness under there, it was easy to find on mine...the pink wire goes to the yellow tach wire.&nbsp\\;You can also get +12 volts and ground under the dash. If I remember right, the orange/white wire is +12 and goes to the red tach wire. Black is ground and goes to the&nbsp\\;black tach wire.
&nbsp\\;
Here's the mini tach instruction sheet, although the link probably won't work. http://www.box.net/shared/tzgvfzf4so
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008, 01:42 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 wire to positive battery
1 wire to negative battery
1 wire to coil output
&nbsp\\;
Hiding the wire is the hardest part.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

With the tinytach

One wire wraped around one of the spark plug wires three times.&nbsp\\;You are done.

Quick Reply: Adding A Tach