Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

fly by wire throttle issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 02:17 AM
towboattrash34
|
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fly by wire throttle issues

i have been reading about all the fly by wire throttle issues..... this **** is dangerous !!! it is the most stupid thing ever done to a motorcycle... while most will never have trouble they will be some that die because of it !!!!

Here is my reason..... they put some on a boat i was working on and we had a little hand held vhf raido/cb and when we keyed the mic it reved up to WFO/redlined in 3/4 sec.... so for that reason alone i will never use or get a fly by wire throttle...... certain raido feq can interfer with them !!!!
bash me if you want but i had to post my experience and my opinion

so plz be very carefull

Old 02-21-2008 | 04:40 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,670 Likes on 583 Posts
Default RE: fly by wire throttle issues

Get used to it.

Most cages today are throttle by wire. In the next few years vertually all motorized vehicles willhave electronically controlled throttles.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:00 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: towboattrash34

so for that reason alone i will never use or get a fly by wire throttle......
Your going to be driving old cars, trucks and motorcylesfor a long timesome day because many already have it and soon all new ones will.This technologyhas been used in many othermuch more critical applications, such as airplanes, for many years. With the huge numbers of cars and trucks already on the streets with drive by wire, haven't seen any segmentsfeatured on the show "60 Minutes" yet and even if I did, based on their reputation for fabricating failurestories, I would question their report.

When I was in the automotive chassis dyno business,seen throttles stick WOT several times due to defective throttle cables and return springs. I wouldrather beflying in a plane withoutsuch cables and return springs, OK if my bike was that way to.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:03 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Failures are possible on almost anything. Tires, suspension piviots, brake seals, front axle bolts .... Even a carb needle valve failure can cause fire with 4 gal of fuel between your legs and 30000 volts of ignition a 300 degrees of hot cylinders all within 4" of each other wile riding at 70 MPH and no air bags. Motorcycles are not "safe".

AW

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:07 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: Duracell

Get used to it.

Most cages today are throttle by wire. In the next few years vertually all motorized vehicles willhave electronically controlled throttles.
They all are already......all of the big 6 auto OEMs demand nothing but ETC. Maybe this guy can be a Yugo mechanic. I have had boats for 30 years. Cables suck.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:10 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL. Someone please point me to the posts on the new electronic throttle issues that he is talking about. I personally haven't heard of any issues myself, but I haven't been looking for any. I still have an 02 and an 07 with the cables. I had an 04 Acura TL that had electronic throttle and never once hada problem with that. They claimed it made throttle response quicker than a cable, but I couldn't tell any difference myself, must have been in the milliseconds of a difference, that would be .1 or .2 seconds difference, maybe even slower. All I can say is everytime they change something like this on the Harley, you will get a lot of push back. The good thing about this is that if you don't like the new stuff, just keep rebuilding your old Harley, no one is going to force you into buying a new bike. I for one, could care less about the electronic throttle, I could take it or leave it. It does make it nicer that you have no cable to lubricate now and 2 less cables going down the handlebars. I haven't tried to replace grips on this type of setup, but hopefully no more brass ferules to loose. Don't ask me how I know about that. I do like the ABS option, but I am sure there are tons of people saying that is going to kill someone too. I am too young in the motorcycle world to know about this, but I heard that when the Twin Cam motor came out, there were lots of people saying that it was a piece of garbage and they were all embracing the EVO, the Pan, Shovel or Knuckle Head. I wonder if the electric starter was considered bad when it first came out. Now a kick start draws a crowd at your local bike nite when it is time to start it. People gather around to watch some old timer break his leg.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:50 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had one iota of problems with mine. It's operated flawlessly since I bought the bike.

Seriously, I haven't really even read of any real problems with it. Like mentioned previously, this really isn't new technology, nor is it rocket science.

Old 02-21-2008 | 05:05 PM
towboattrash34
|
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just giving ya'll a heads up.. this has happened to me on the boat.....so it is very possible it could happen on a bike

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:07 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I find this rather somewhatamusing. What are you trying to do by throwing fear to those that have no mechanical background?

Lets look at your situation closer. Just how close did you put that transmitter to any of the bike components? Come on now tell the truth....I'll bet it had to be within inches. I deal with this all the time with people installing business band radios, CBs etc and causing some interference, problem was they ran the coax right over the vehicle harness. The next thing that happens is that the ECM should go into derate or shut down completly. If it dosen't shut down I would be real concerned with the operating software. Take a look around and you will see almost everything is "run by wire" anymore. Take a look at Harley's FI bikes and you will see the throttle does not controlled the fuel, only the air butterfly. The fuel is controlled by the ECM and metered by the injectors.

Old 02-21-2008 | 08:45 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: towboattrash34

i have been reading about all the fly by wire throttle issues..... this **** is dangerous !!! it is the most stupid thing ever done to a motorcycle... while most will never have trouble they will be some that die because of it !!!!

Here is my reason..... they put some on a boat i was working on and we had a little hand held vhf raido/cb and when we keyed the mic it reved up to WFO/redlined in 3/4 sec.... so for that reason alone i will never use or get a fly by wire throttle...... certain raido feq can interfer with them !!!!
bash me if you want but i had to post my experience and my opinion

so plz be very carefull
I would advise you to never drive or ride in a late model car or fly in a late model airplane. They are all computer controlled and "fly by wire" and have been for years.

Quick Reply: fly by wire throttle issues