Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Install of Aftermarket Single Wire Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:39 AM
delo149
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install of Aftermarket Single Wire Turn Signals

Guys,

Installing turn signals with single wire on '08 softail. Hook up lead to hot wire from harness and cap the ground? I beleive the signal gets its grouund from being bolted to bike. Any info would be a help. Looking for the easiest and cleanest way of doing this. I am mounting them to the windsheild mounts on the trees.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 08:02 PM
knownman
Intermediate
Default RE: Install of Aftermarket Single Wire Turn Signals

I think you will still need to run those grounds to complete the circuit. Usually an eyelet can be used that crimps to the wire then gets screwed to any available bolt in the signal, providing ther is room. Sometimes it will need to go right to the thru bolt that ties the lights to the standoffs. I'm not quite sure though? Can you hookup the hot and test without the ground? If it doesn't work you can touch the ground to thesignal housing and see what happens. One thing for sure is that if you don't get a solid ground you can bet you will have some weird electrical problems occuring after some time out on the road. Then it's real hard toremember what the heck you did or where to start looking. These symptoms won't always be just at the signals either. Are they LED's? I've probably confused you more now than helped. Good Luck

Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM
delo149
Cruiser

Definetly appreciate the insight. I did hook the lead from the light to the battery and touched the lightitself to a ground. It works. Safest bet is probably attaching an eyelet and grounding to the mounting bolt as you said. Not a big fan of just cutting a wire, capping it and tucking itaway. No they're not led's. Now I feel like I'm confusing you.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
knownman
Intermediate

Good deal. Hope all works out!