Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition Timing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ignition Timing Question

The top left would be only used on higher RPM decel, depending on what is going on with fuel at that time, possibly DFCO, I don't think timing matters at that portion of the map.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It means everything if you are wanting to keep decel backfiring in check and not wanting to fry the o2 sensors.

Regarding the bottom right corner. I wonder if that is why when you pull away from a stop with a little to little clutch slip and a little too much throttle, the bike falls on it's face. (factory stock EFI map now but it did this when even totally stock) It's like someone just put out the fire.

AW

Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

The air that the motor will continue to pump will be way cooler than any air fuel mixture if it is ignited, no matter when in the crank rotation this happens. Burning fuel at any time makes heat. I can get into the acceleration enrichment requirementsif you want, but for now...

Hope this helps

AW
Going back tosome previous posts, I have found that there are many different philosophies about many aspects ofengine management, kind of like what food is good or bad for us, constantly changing and sometimes goes full circle. Your comparison of the twodifferent maps could bethe results of two different tuners with two different philosophies. We coulddiscusswhich one is better of more logical forever. But if you and I were hired to tune a given application, our two maps could look much different, contrary to popular belief, controlling explosions is still not an exact science. Then possibly a debate as to which one of us has the best map.

Anexampleconcerning the subject ofcooling thecombustion chamber by shutting off fuel completely. Some still feel that they do not want to "thermal shock" thechamber by constantly going from approx 1500 deg F to whatever temp the cold air may be duringconstant WOTacceleration and then fulldeceleration, such as occursin road race applications. Yes,injectingsome fuelfor some combustion during decelerationwill not cool as fast as unburned air but some feel that for example,changeing the tempsback and forth from 750 to 1500 deg isbetter, just another school of thought, as logical or illogical as it may sound.