Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

help, im braking!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 11:45 AM
caliboi
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help, im braking!!

i have a 04 deuce and my brake light wont go off. i started it one day and now no matter what i do the brake light is always on. at first i thought my brake light was not working but then i noticed that both filimints were lit in the bulb. please help!!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 PM
TazInCT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help, im braking!!

The pressure switch on my 2000 deuce is located under the bike, near the oil drain plug. It's about $15 at HD. That would be my guess.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM
TazInCT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to check is the switch behind the front brake lever. Make sure it's not stuck out somehow. Have you had the right switch housing apart lately?

Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM
reddog06
Novice

Also make sure you have no cross connections, have you worked on the taillight or changed it befor you started having this problem?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:07 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

I've never seen a pressure switch stick closed (on). Someone asked have you been in the right handlebar switch housing, like putting on new grips?

Easy way to find out, Locate the pressure switch along the frame on theright side of the bike in front of the swing arm near the transmission. There are 2 wires attached to it. Pull one wire and see if the tail light goes out (I bet it won't),ifit doesn'**** not the pressure switch. On theflip side (just FYI) if the brake light doesn't work with the rear peddle pull one wire and touch it to the other wire, if the light comes on replace the pressure switch.

I bet it is the electric (not pressure) brake light switch in the right handlebar switch housing. If you're not careful putting them back together you can break the tab off the switch. Or the housing could just be loose or misaligned.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM
caliboi
Stage IV

is that switch on the right assembly easy to replace? my dad put the grips on so i really dont know what is involved. im very mechanically inclined so the job doesnt scare me. i just dont want to screw something else up. thanks everybody for the help.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

If you're handy you'll have no problem.

Biggest thing is before you start to take it apart put about a 3/32 or 1/8 wedge (cardboard works) between the housing and the brake lever. Pull in on the lever and put the wedge in the gap to hold the lever depressed a little. That way the lever will clear the brake switch tab and the master cylinder plunger won't come out too far and damage the seal.

You'll see what I mean when you start the job.