Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sert tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 06:56 PM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sert tuner

My 06 ultra classic seems to run hot to me. Dealer said everythihg is fine could find any thing wrong. can I buy just a sert tuner and install without air cleaner or slip-ons, and improve anything. later maybe air filter and slip-ons.

thanks 06 ultra

Old 01-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: sert tuner

You can always install the SERT. It will improve the running of a stock bike. Most people feel that it is not worth it to add the SERT without modifications but they are wrong. If you can afford to spend the money then go for it. You will have a better running bike but you won't see a lot of power/performance increase without the Air Cleaner and Slip-Ons. I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and do all the mods at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

If you feel its running hot what you may want to do is buy the race tuner take it to a dyno guy have them bring the fuel curve down a bit to say 13 to 1 you will give up a little gas mileage vs. running the bike lean, but you should make better torque and your engine should run a bit cooler and better.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:55 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<< seems to run hot >>

What does that mean, exactly? Sometimes things are not always as they seem. What's the oil temp? What's the head surface temp? I wouldn't change anything until you find that out. It may be well within specs, and no changes need to be made.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:00 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Billy,

Read this:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm

Terry

Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 PM
06ultra
Elite HDF Member

TERRY ,

I read the article still not sure, i did not notice the running hot until after 1000 mile service. When I took it back and asked if maybe it was somekind of adjustment they have made ,because i notice rear head pipe was glowing red slightly. it also smelled hot.

thanks Billy

Old 01-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

Billy,

You may want to call around to a place that has a dyno that is willing to do a few pulls for you with the sniffer in. Shouldnt cost but 50 bucks maybe and find out if you are to lean. More of a dianostic run. A glowing pipe is not a good thing and if your certain that is what you saw I would be concerned in a big way. If the bike checks out that way you be able to write it off till you have more information or accept it as ok.

The only problem you could run into is if it is a big issue there and they find out your running way to lean you may want to or be forced to act on it to protect your investment.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:05 PM
KingTom05
Intermediate

Does the sert 32107-01D have 2006 maps? I pulled a pdf of the manual and only up to 2005's were listed.
I just got a 2006 Ultra and have a pcIII, and it lists 06 touring with stock ecm, SEmufflers and SE a/c on the web site.
I really would like the sert, but am having trouble deciding.

Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Unbalanced
Cruiser

KingTom,

I cant tell you as I am on the road atm about 2000 + miles from home. I have 3 Racetuners at the house and can check what the label is on the outside of the box this weekend if you dont get a reply from someone else sooner. If you get the latest release not sure if its E now when Harley sent me version 4.50 it had 06 maps in it. I have the software on my FTP Server at home and quite a few have downloaded it from there upon request. I know they just released a newer version of the software and I think it is version e or f now. I would check and see which your dealer has on the shelf and then call a few others to see to make sure you dont get old stuff that has been in the warehouse a while. That is how I came upon the 4.50 because I called harley and found out that they had given me old software since I had 4.12 version.

Even if you get an older version you can always get the latest update from Harley dealer just whether it is worth the hassle to get it that way. I prefer out of the box when I can help it.

-harry

Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Glowing pipes are "normal" according to the factory. My dealer didn't believe mine glowed till I made them turn the lites out in the shop. They called the factory and were told to get the bikes threw the EPA they have to run extremely lean.
I'm thinking of getting a DFO to richen it up a bit. Not planning on doing anything more then the SE pipes and air cleaner I have now. The SERT is just a bit pricey for a stock bike (more or less)

Quick Reply: sert tuner