Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
rsnky62
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light

Hello, soI am not that bright,butI do have alot of fun,I two questions,I have a 1990 Electra Glide, 1st question:does the brake light suppose to be lit when I used the the right hand front brake, ? And the 2nd question is whenI used the foot brake light does come on,but the voltage drops quite abit,so doI have a ground problem or a short in the brake switches,iring etc.? Thanks in advance

Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM
E ticket
Advanced
Default RE: brake light

Brake light should come on when using the hand brake lever and it sounds like you have a ground issue. Is the brake light /voltage drop the same with the hand brake? Check your grounds first.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:19 PM
rsnky62
6th Gear

no, nothing happens, just the footpedal,any ideal where to start looking,at the lever or at the brake light ?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM
E ticket
Advanced

I'm not sure how the pedal vs. hand brake are wired but I think that if the hand works and the foot does not, I would suspect it's in the foot circuit ground. I think if it were in the brake light ground circuit , both would react the same........but you never know with electrical! Check the light ground while you are at it....just for the halibut. Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
rsnky62
6th Gear

i took the hand brake at the handle bar apart their is no wires going to the lever at all,did find a problem with the recifer,the ground was barley put on the termal,so do you think the tail light may b another place to check as well,i thank you for all information.you have been a great help

Old 02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
E ticket
Advanced

Tighten up all loose wires and check the brake light connections and ground. When you say voltage drops are you looking at a guage or because the light shins dim? Keep plugging, you'll get it!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
rsnky62
6th Gear

LOOKING AT THE GUAGE,BUT AFTER PUTTING A METER ON THE BATTERY AT ON A FULL LOAD,BRAKES,RADIO,LIGHTS,BLINKERS,ETC. I REALIZE NOW MY GUAGE IS OFF BAD,I DO WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I AM HEADING TO BIKE WEEK AT THE END OF THE MONTH AN I WANT TO SPEND TIME RIDING INSTEAD OF SITTING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, THANKS AGAIN.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:11 PM
E ticket
Advanced

Glad to be of help to you! Ride safe and have fun!!

Old 02-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Tbird
Novice

I have a 1993 electra glide and mine also has the same problem. My brake light does not come on with the hand brake and I spoke to a harley mechanic and he told me that it sounds like the switch in the lever is bad. I haven't torn it apart yet to see if he is right or not.
I also have the voltage dropwhen the foot brake is applied (and lights dim also) and also when I turn my turn signals on the voltmeter will fluxuate along with the lights as they blink.
I've seen alot of people who posted on this forum that have electra glides around the same year as oursand havethe same problems as we have but neverseen a post if anybody was able to find a fix for it.
I also spoke to the same harley mechanic about this problem and hetold me it was normal forthe early 90's electra glides. (doesn't sound right to me though for this to be normal)

Let me know if you find a fix or not for yours. Thanks........

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbird
I have a 1993 electra glide and mine also has the same problem. My brake light does not come on with the hand brake and I spoke to a harley mechanic and he told me that it sounds like the switch in the lever is bad. I haven't torn it apart yet to see if he is right or not.
I also have the voltage dropwhen the foot brake is applied (and lights dim also) and also when I turn my turn signals on the voltmeter will fluxuate along with the lights as they blink.
I've seen alot of people who posted on this forum that have electra glides around the same year as oursand havethe same problems as we have but neverseen a post if anybody was able to find a fix for it.
I also spoke to the same harley mechanic about this problem and hetold me it was normal forthe early 90's electra glides. (doesn't sound right to me though for this to be normal)

Let me know if you find a fix or not for yours. Thanks........

On my 1990 FLHTCU, when I first bought it the radio would turn off if I used the front brake. Can you believe that after changing the stator and the regulator it still did it. The Harley dealership told the previous owner that its normal and that all the old EVO's do that.
I cleaned all the grounds under the fairing and replaced the relays and it no longer turns off but I still get a heck of a fluctuation on my voltmeter if I apply the brakes (especially the front brake because the anti-dive solenoid engages) or if I use the left and right blinkers.