Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Decel Popping with map change with SERT.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decel Popping with map change with SERT.

I just acquired a laptop so that I didn't have to drag one of my desktop computers out to the garage so I decided to hook my SERT up to take a look to see what map the dealer had installed almost 2 years ago when I was having problems with the 8° injectors right after I had purchased my bike. Theyinstalled this mapwithin days of the 25° injector bulletin coming out which they ordered and installed within a week. It seemed to help a little but the 25° injectors seemed to solve most of the problems I was having. They said they didn't change the map when they installed the 25° injectors and the bike has been running OK but it's always popped loud sometimes when shifting and never really had much decel popping at all really. I also wasn't getting the gas mileage I thought I should have and it was harder to start when colder then I thought it should have been. So to make a short story long I looked at the map with the Get ECM INFO button and it came back as 127EV100.000 which isCalibration #10 which says the following:
Calibration #10: 2002 – 2005 Touring, 2001 – 2003 FLSTSi and 2005 FLSTSCi
Configuration: 1550 Stage 2
File Name: 105EV100-D0.MT6, 127EV100-B2.MT6
[font=arial]
Components:
• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99B
• SE 1550 Big Bore Cylinders P/N 16546-99 or 16549-99
• SE 1550 Flat Top Pistons P/N 22851-99A
• SE 203 Cams P/N 25937-99B
• SE Performance Touring Mufflers P/N 65115-98B or 65116-98A

My bike isa stock '06 RK with about 6000 miles on it with a Stage 1 withSE/AC and Pro Performance SCREAMIN' EAGLE Exhaust P/N 64903-99 out of the '06 Racing Catalog which seem similar to the P/N 65115-98B listed in the above CAL. and the one below.

I decided to re-program the ECM with MAP # 141NR004 which isCalibration # 55 which says the following:
Calibration # 55: 2006 Touring Exhaust
Configuration: 1450 SE A/C & Mufflers
File Name: 141NR004-B0.MT6
Components:
[font=arial][size=2]
• 25deg Injectors P/N 27709-06
• SE Air Cleaner and Breather Kit P/N 29440-99C
• SE Performance Touring Mufflers P/N 65115-98B

It now starts better when cold but I get a some decelburbling and popping especially in 2nd or1st gear when I back off the throttle. When I roll off the throttle in the higher gears I really don't hear any until I shift down to 2nd or 1st gear. It seems to do it more when it warms up and the idle sounds a little different also after it's warmed up then it used to.

I have read through several threads about this and they mentionthe Decel Enleanment table valuesandI decremented the numbers 5 at a time as suggested by Shovelhead Bob in one thread but I still get the burbling and popping. I even incremented them some once and still no difference that I can tell.
It looks like this is the correct map for my bike and setup or at least very close so I am open to any suggestionsof what table to work with next or should I decrement or increment even more on on decel enleanment tables. I decremented them down 25 steps once to no avail.

I know I could pay for a Dyno tune but feel it shouldn't be that hard to correct this problem with my expensive SERT and software.

I also think the map the dealer loaded almost 2 years ago which they said they got from the MOCOwas modified because I reloaded File 127EV100 from mysoftware and it popped even more

Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Decel Popping with map change with SERT.

Decel Enleanment table values are only in effect for a very short period of time when you quickly roll out of the throttle. It's the opposite of acceleration pumps in the "old days" of the carb. Poping in the exhaust on decel is caused by one of three things.

1) Way too lean causing a decel mis-fire as the mixture is too lean for the spark to light it. The stuff going out the exhaust has O2 and fuel in it just waiting for something to light it. The next successful firing of that cylinder will be plenty.

2) Way too rich causing exactly the same issue as 1

3) A little too rich in combination with a exhaust header leak letting in just enough o2 thru the header leak that the remaining fuel gets a chance to relight on the next exhaust opening.

The best way to cure this is to entirly turn off the fuel on overrun but Harley elected to make that not possible with the existing software. Lots of car companys do this to greatly improve fuel mileage.

AW

Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Open your map to the VE tables, add 5 to 10 units of fuel to the 0% and 2% throttle position at 1750 rpm to 4000pm. Do this in both VE tables, down load the edit and see if it still pops.
I will say this to you....it is almost impossible to remove the popping in 1st or 2nd gear in any modified build....

The Decel table is for roll off only like Whittlebeast said.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You might try raising the numbers in the VE tables(both front and rear cylinders)from 1250 rpm to 3500 rpm(zero percent column)or so by a few units at a time until the popping is gone.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

Open your map to the VE tables, add 5 to 10 units of fuel to the 0% and 2% throttle position at 1750 rpm to 4000pm. Do this in both VE tables, down load the edit and see if it still pops.
I will say this to you....it is almost impossible to remove the popping in 1st or 2nd gear in any modified build....

The Decel table is for roll off only like Whittlebeast said.
I remember seeing something about the VE Tables when I was searching a couple of days ago butI can't get search to work right now for some reason.I will definitely try that "Doc 1" and "BVBOB"but I still don't understand why they loaded CAL. #10 into my bike 2 years ago when nothing but SE/AC and the SE Exhaust were the only things thatwere the same on my bike and everything else was for a 95" Stage 2 build. I don't think Cal. #55 was available in Feb.'06 since they just released the 25° injector change out so maybe that was the reason. They must have changed CAL. #10 quite a bit for it to work because as I said in my original post when I reloaded CAL. #10 with my SERT itdidn't run like the one they loaded 2 years ago because I now had decel popping and more popping when I shifted. Am I correct about CAL. #55 being the right one for my bike? Thanks for the suggestions and I will let you know what happens.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't know you needed an answer for the map they loaded, I thought it was obvious, ....do you really believe they know why they did it? If you don't have a cam in your bike then why use a map made for a cam?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

I didn't know you needed an answer for the map they loaded, I thought it was obvious, ....do you really believe they know why they did it? If you don't have a cam in your bike then why use a map made for a cam?
You're right "Doc 1"it was fairly obvious to me but I thought I would ask anyway just in case I missed something, you never know when it comes to some of the dealers service departments, what's BS or what is fact whenever they tell you something.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn doc, you beat me by a few seconds, I know you havea ton more experience than I do but in the past I have lost some throttle response when incrementing a tad too far in the 2 percent column when trying to get rid of popping, and I agree, it is almost impossible to get rid of in extreme decel conditions.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:26 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, I added 7 units to the VE tables at the 0% and 2% throttle positions from 1750 RPM to 4000 RPM as suggested and it definitely helped. I hear very little if any poppingright now except maybe a little when the engine is hot, but it's definitely better then before. I never did have any real loud pops on decel like I used to get at times when shifting with the originalmap that the dealerdownloaded tothe bike 2 years ago. I didn't get any popsafter installing Cal. #55 when up shifting, only on decel.I left the Decel Enleanment table alone for now and I will probably play around a little more with the VE tables in the 0% and 2% throttle positions and may play with the Decel Enleanment table but the Decel table never seemed to make any difference before. Thanks again.