Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:29 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Today, I was waiting by the door for the mailman. And, as is the case when you are expecting something important, he's late!
Eventually though,he showed up and had my package from Nightrider in hand.
I want straight to the garage, and in no time at all, unclipped the IEDs I have been running, and installed the XIEDs.
I was sort of pressed for time today but, no way was I NOT going to do a quick trial run.
Although I read the posts by Cruiser and Rider57, as they raved about the change in performance,
I don't really think I was expecting what I got once I started the bike.
My idle was smoother than it had been with the IEDs. I noticedthat as soon as theRPMs dropped back to the normal idle setting after a cold start.
I hurried and threw on a sweatshirt,my sunglasses and climbed backin the seat.As I accelerated out of my driveway and up the hill, the engine was noticeably smoother and the throttle even more responsive....I would say the change was at least as great as that experienced when installing the IEDs ona stock bike.
I truly was not expecting the amount of difference that the XIEDs made. Faster response, better acceleration and a smoother running engine all the way up thru the gears. A quick check of the temps showed 263 front and 288 rear. 64 degrees OAT.
I did a quick 20 mile ride. Unfortunately, that was all the time I had. Hopefully tomorrow I will get to do a real ride and check things more thoroughly.
My initial impression?....just like the others...WOW!! The IEDs are good. The XIEDs are great!

To say Steve "done good" would be an understatement!!

07 FLHTC
Stock A/C
Rush 2" slipons
XIEDs
Fastaire 8"

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:43 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

So when can we order our XIED's ?

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:03 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I guess you can order them about anytime Jim. I would think that Steve will ship them out as they are available.
I can hardly wait for tomorrow so I can go out and play some more! I feel like a kid with a new toy.
Another thing that was really apparent was that 6th gear is even more useable. I was running along at one point at between 50-55mph/2000RPM and when I twisted the throttle it picked it right up to 70 in nothing flat with no bucking or carring on what so ever.

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:04 PM
elpoman
Advanced

I posted earlier that I was not especially pleased with my IED's, well I have to take that back My advice, for newbies to Harley's and IED's, is to ride with them on the bike for a few ride/miles, then take them off, boy can you feel the deference then. My bike idles better with the IED's. I can feel a better throttle response now at slower speed, with the IED's. My higher temps was because of my Lowers. I took them off, for some test run, and got lower temps, very close to every one else. 265 front and 285 back. I'll wait tell it is really hot here before I decide if I need the XIED's for my Ultra.

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:17 PM
fireglider
Road Captain

After a 188 mile ride yesterday I checked my fuel mileage before, during, and after and was really surprised. I had expected my 44.5 mpg average to suffer slightly after installing the Nightrider O2 IEDs. 42 miles of mostly slow speed in town and about half during MSF ERC course returned 22.5 mpg. 64 miles of 2-up 60 mph highway gave 54 mpg with Shell 93 octane Prem.!! Final 124 miles 2-up highway 55 to 65 using Mapco 91 oct. prem. gave 46 mpg. To say I am pleased is an understatement! Bike also runs stronger, smoother, and cooler.

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:31 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Whoa unto you of little faith.!!!
Test, test and test again.
Ye shall be rewarded......

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:40 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: gs34doc

I guess you can order them about anytime Jim. I would think that Steve will ship them out as they are available.
I can hardly wait for tomorrow so I can go out and play some more! I feel like a kid with a new toy.
Another thing that was really apparent was that 6th gear is even more useable. I was running along at one point at between 50-55mph/2000RPM and when I twisted the throttle it picked it right up to 70 in nothing flat with no bucking or carring on what so ever.
gs34doc

Steve doesn't have them listed for sale yet on his web site.

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:48 PM
heywood727
Road Master

I don't think they're quite ready yet. Give it a week or so. I can honestly say everyone here will probably be the first to know when he has a batch ready for sale.

Old 04-22-2008 | 12:32 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Probably two weeks out at the longest. It's well worth the wait.

Rode my Bike today. Outside temps were 82 degrees. The engine runs so nice and cool now. 260 degrees front and 275 degrees rear. It is such a joy riding this Bike. In every aspect that counts this Bike has improved. Throttle response, acceleration, smoothness, engine coolness, it's like a new Bike.

XIED's, Best Bang for the Buck.

Old 04-22-2008 | 12:56 AM
heywood727
Road Master

You Know cruiser...your killing me with that 82 degrees stuff

We got 8.2 inches of snow after getting 74 F last weekend.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test