Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:02 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

I thank you for showing respect and asking before you posted. I'm also glad to see that you shared the feelings and impressions that the rest of us have who have tried them.
+1

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:20 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

++1I'm with you on this. Thanks Steve!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53401/8AF64B1C6D42416E9508FB04EE2918A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-21-2008 | 07:16 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

After reading all the posts on this sight I decided to purchase the IED's from Knight Rider. I had already ordered the IED but now curious about the Extreme; my order has not shipped yet and he can hold it until the Extremes arrive. I have inquired to Steve about the Exteme and it would be about two weeks before he receives them, plus additional cost for the new model. So should I just get the original design or wait for the Extreme?

Not sure how much 14.2 to 13.8 will make in the difference with regards to the heat. The wife is pretty unhappy with the heat and I might have to put my power commander back on the bike due to I removed it for testing purposes with regards to mileage and power.

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:04 AM
hdrider02
Cruiser

HDRider02:

What kind of exhaust do you have??
cruiser85257:

I'm not sure if you saw my answer-here it is again:

Old style (2005) SE II slip-ons. Also SE High flow air cleaner
and download. Replaced SE air cleaner with K&N.

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:51 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have received a few posts from riders concerned about too little of an impact on the heat issue while riding in temps lower than 70F.
While the IED's work all the time in closed loop and are, in fact, working at any temp, it is most recognized at temps above 75F.
The IAT and Cylinder Temp sensor also input to the ecu until the bike reaches it's normal operating temp.
Dont be too concerned with the lowers. Yes, they do restrict air flow around the front of the engine, and yes you may feel more heat because of that.
I test for consistant results. I have to duplicate tests 3 times before I can accept the findings.
Our test rides are no less than 250 miles. When we change anything, we do another 250 mile ride. Consistant findings is what confirms our testing methods.

Best practices:
1. Use synthentec oil. Always
2. Ride the same course, at the same speeds, in the same weather conditions. If you encounter rain the test is void as rain changes air density and running conditions for the engine.
3 Use GOOD gasoline. Some riders, in the present economy, try using mid-grade to save money. Dont!
Regular gas burn hotter because of impurities, causing pinging and detonation. Most mid-grades will do the same or worse.
Do not use additives in the gas. They will not increase the octane rating, make it run better, faster nor cooler.

If you just got the IED's or XIED's in the mail, you can put them on and ride for 200to 300 miles. Then take them off to see and or feel the difference. I think you will be putting them back on quickly.

PM me or post your questions and I will reply as quickly as possible.
I may not have all the answers at hand, but I have time to find the correct answers.

Old 04-21-2008 | 01:14 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

The difference is like....cold water to ice water!

Old 04-21-2008 | 03:24 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

PM sent

Old 04-21-2008 | 03:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Texas Vet:

Either one will cool the Bike, cooler than it is now. If it were my Bike I would get the XIED. I have noted over the 24 pages of results that the EGC's seem to run hotter than the rest. Which makes perfect sense considering the additional weight of the Bike, and the Fairing and lowers which doesn't allow as much air to get to the engine.

Then I would think about the fact that you probably ride two up, and carry more in the bags and trunk for the open road. Having the extra cooling power, and the extra power will compliment the Bike. Your wife will be a very Happy Lady.

I know it's hard to wait. But it's only a couple of weeks. You can always buy the IED and get it right away, then get the XIED when it comes in. Then you can keep the IED for a spare, or sell it to a friend. The Beauty of these is how inexpensive they are. For what you spend on a power commander alone you can buy an IED plus an XIED and still have plenty of money left over.

To sum it up you can't go wrong either way.

Please do let me know how you make out and share your results with the rest of us.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-21-2008 | 06:42 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

Texas Vet:

Either one will cool the Bike, cooler than it is now. If it were my Bike I would get the XIED. I have noted over the 24 pages of results that the EGC's seem to run hotter than the rest. Which makes perfect sense considering the additional weight of the Bike, and the Fairing and lowers which doesn't allow as much air to get to the engine.

Then I would think about the fact that you probably ride two up, and carry more in the bags and trunk for the open road. Having the extra cooling power, and the extra power will compliment the Bike. Your wife will be a very Happy Lady.

I know it's hard to wait. But it's only a couple of weeks. You can always buy the IED and get it right away, then get the XIED when it comes in. Then you can keep the IED for a spare, or sell it to a friend. The Beauty of these is how inexpensive they are. For what you spend on a power commander alone you can buy an IED plus an XIED and still have plenty of money left over.

To sum it up you can't go wrong either way.

Please do let me know how you make out and share your results with the rest of us.

Thanks,

Dave
Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I notified Steve to change my order to the Extreme's and I'll have to wait about two weeks before I can receive them. I reinstalled my power commander to alleviate the heat until the Extreme's arrive.

Corey

Old 04-21-2008 | 07:27 PM
restorick
Cruiser

Got my IEDs installed over the weekend, and took my baby for a ride. At the riskof sounding like I'm piling on, let me just say that my 08 SG is running better than ever. I still have stock pipes and AC (only 400 miles on her), and while we've not had real hot weather, if the right pipe is any indication, the bike is running cooler. Should be even better when I change the oil and get synthetic.

Like some others, the bike seems to have a deeper rumble - I hear less motor and more exhaust, but not at the expense of the stock stereo. Stronger bark when I get on her too...

I was sold prior to buying, now I can't wait for the XIEDs to be announced. So far, this was the best AND least expensive add-on.

Resto, one happy camper

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test