Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008 | 12:06 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Lost One, I spent five years in Wilmington, NC on the Coast. It's not too bad there during the summer. You have a nice breeze from the Ocean.

I'm sure AK is beautiful, but I could never live there. How much riding do you get up there in a year?

Old 02-18-2008 | 08:17 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Lost One, I spent five years in Wilmington, NC on the Coast. It's not too bad there during the summer. You have a nice breeze from the Ocean.

I'm sure AK is beautiful, but I could never live there. How much riding do you get up there in a year?
Only a few months out of the year are suited to riding in AK. Once the snows start it's time to hang it up for the winter. ATV's are much more plentiful, especially on Kodiak Island where I call "home."

Old 02-18-2008 | 10:42 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: RCH

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

RC, cancel the TVII. The IED's will work better with your Mods and keep the motor cooler.

Because HD is coming out with a new Race Tuner, you can get older ones off Ebay cheap. The only update you need is a $20 CD. I almost had a Race Tuner today for $200 and blew it by waiting too long. With the Race Tuner you can load a base map and change your closed loop bias table and richen the bike up plenty to run great with your mods.
I will cancel the order Dave. Thanks......

On another note, not that I am cheap mind you (I like to call myself frugal!!!) but does anyone have a source or part number for the Tyco connectors that are used on the O2 sensors?

I would like to make my own set of O2 bias leads, and I don't want to lay out $70 for a few dollars of parts that I can put together myself.

Anyone??? Bueller???
RCH,
Yeah you're about right it shouldn't be more than $10-$15 in parts to make the cables. I believe the connectors are the Tyco Superseal 1.5 connectors, assuming you'd use 16 AWG wire you would need the following:

For contacts:
183024-1 pin
183025-1 receptacle

For housings:
282080-1 plug
282104-1

For seal protectors:
281934-2

The hand tool to crimp the contacts is 785353-1 but you can always solder the contact to avoid the cost of the tool. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:33 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

cruiser 85257:
Sorry for not replying sooner, but we have out of town company since last Saturday until tomorrow. I promised the SO that the garage and the bike would be off limits intil the company left.

I purchased my bike used and it already had the SE A/C on it. I recently acquired a used stock A/C assembly from a 2007 Dyna on the internet. It should be the same as the touring A/C. I will check the parts manual to make sure I have all the necessary o-rings, gaskets and give the stock A/Ca try and report the results. While I am not looking for more power, I do not want less power. It will be interesting to see if the bike runs differently with the stock A/C and whether the temps are lower than with the SE A/C.

The bike was serviced by the dealer just before I purchased it so I assume it has dino oil not synthetic. I plan on switching to synthetic when I change the fluids in about 1300 miles.

I checked the plugs a few weeks ago with the SE A/C, the SE slip-ons and the O2 IED's installed. They looked pretty clean - not as brand new, possibly very slightly off white. That and the temperature issue is what got me thinking about whether I should go for a Stage I download, a fueleror stay with the IED's.

Since H-D recommends the Stage I download if you install the SE A/C, I made the assumption that the SE A/C creates a leaner A/F than the stock A/C. This wasproven to be trueby my dyno run with the SE A/C and the stock exhaust - A/F reading of 15.1 at low throttle settings. I do not know how the O2 sensors work, but they definitely did not lower my A/F to 14.2 or even to 14.7. According to Nightrider, the IED's supposedly provide an enrichment to the A/F of about 0.5 Therefore, since my A/F without the IED's was 15.1, I assume that my current A/F with the IED's is about 14.6 with the IED's. No flames intended, but I doubt if the IED's would lower my A/F to 14.2 as you suggested. I guess I would need to have the bike dynoed again to find out what my A/F currently is.

I read your comments about the Stage I download, but cannot help but think there is a bit more to it than just the increase in the rev limiter. My assumption is that if I got the the Stage I download and keep the SE A/C,itwould return my A/F (without the IED's) to around 14.7. Then, when I reinstall the IED's, I would think that would now bring the 14.7 down to about 14.2. Again, only the purchase of a Stage I download and another dyno run would prove or disprove my assumption.

I am not looking to spend lots of money on dyno runs to find out if my assumptions are correct or not. Most likely, if the bike's performance is satisfactory to me with the stock A/C, my SE slip-ons and the IED's, and if the temperatures are lower than with the SE A/C, then I will run with that setup. If I feel that I lost too much performance by going back to the stock A/C, then I am still at square one and will have to decide the next steps.

I do not know whether Steve from Nightrider or someone on this forum knows whether my assumptions are correct or not. Also, does anyone know what the Stage I download really changes besides the rev limit?

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my posts.

Old 02-19-2008 | 09:45 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

I do know that the Stage 1 has to be within the legal limits of the EPA ... = LEAN.

Old 02-19-2008 | 10:57 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mr. Clean,

I don't know for sure. Your probably right that the IED brings your AFR down .5 .

I have searched and asked for a while now trying to find out specifically what a stage one does with absolutely no success. No one seeems to know for sure. I don't understand the mystery. Usually when you go into a store and make a $150 purchase you have the right to know exactly what you purchased. Apparently HD is exempt from this simple concept. Just give them your money and don't worry about it, after all they are HD.

I think Barry hit the nail on the head. Bottom line is they can't richen the bike up cause that would be in conflict with EPA standards.

It's a disgrace that we over pay for our bikes and can't get a straight answer about what our money pays for.

Good Luck in your Quest my friend.

Old 02-19-2008 | 12:43 PM
ultra96rider
Intermediate

I have been studying your field tests of the Nightrider 02 Senor option and have wondered that if the Rear cylinder is always hotter than the front (which it is) what might be the outcome of installing the Nightrider option only on the rear cylinder sensor to possibly get it's operating temperature nearer that of the front.

I will be receiving an 08 Ultra soon and plan on installing the Premium Oil Cooler and one or both of the Nightrider 02 option to hopefully reduce the heat issue. May even install the RJ Heat Deflectors once I figure out how the adjustable rider back rest control mounted under the left side will work.

You all are doing a great job of testing this product and I would guess that Nightrider is reading your test results daily....I hope.

Thanks again

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:45 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

FWIW- my dealer's service manager (seems to know his stuff) told me that the H-D Stage 1 download doesn't alter AFR- it only changes timing...

Old 02-19-2008 | 03:55 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

Hey all, I saw a couple of references to popping on decel in this post, but they looked like they were in the context of other devices. So, to ask straight out, have any of you with the Nightrider IED's had any problem with decel pop?

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:15 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

That is what my dealers "lead tech" told me, changes the timing and raises the rev limit
but does not change the AFR.

Putting one IED on the rear cylinder would cause problems I would think.
On a fuel injection system with O2 sensors you have a base map with minimum and maximum values that the program targets for, looking for that AFR in that block at that moment in time. If the O2 sensors spend too much time at one end of their range, the ECM sees this as a problem, voltage stays high (rich) the ECM tries to lean it out …too lean it will try to richen it. Yes there is a lot more to it than that but that would take forever to explain. I would think the ECM would flag one of the cylinders as having a problem with one IED installed.
Harley designed this engine and they know the rear cylinder will run hotter has been for years, it is behind the rear cylinder getting its hot air...praying for a side breeze.
Every one experiences different things or problems with any motor vehicle, just go to any auto forum and you will see everyone having just about the same issues as get posted here but there is always a better mouse trap and someone faster, we all want more and more…
Make your bike run good (I think the 08’s run damn good stock), make your bike look good, ride and enjoy.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test