Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008 | 01:24 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Hog Heaven

Chris, that's a tough choice. If you intend to leave the Bike stock you could easily use the original IED's and see a nice improvement in Temps.

Just a little story. For the last year I have been having problems with aftermarket fuel mngt systems. I could never get the Bike to run the way I envisioned a 20K machine should run. Then one day I spoke to Steve and after our conversation I ordered the IED's. They arrived amzingly fast. Prior to the IED's I had taken the temps on the Bike with this after market unit who's name I will leave out. It was only like 60 degrees out that day and when I saw my rear cyclinder was running 350 degrees I was concerned. I removed the faulty unit and when the IED's arrived I put them on the Bike and took a ride. The Temps outside were still in the low 60's. When I stopped and took the temps I was pleasantly surprised. Now the rear cylinder was 250 degrees. As I drove the Bike more I noticed other benefits from the IED's. Better throttle response. The exhaust note got a little louder. But most importantly the Bike ran consistently good, every single day. Now I was finally riding that 20K machine that I had fantasuzed about the first time I saw her.

Then one day Steve emailed me and asked me to participate in a test of the New XIED's. I initially said yes. Then after sleeping on it I wrote him back and declined the offer. You see after a year of going through a lot of BS my Bike was finally running good, and I didn't want to touch it. But Steve convinced me to try the newer ones. Reluctantly I removed the IED's and repalced them with the XIED's. I fired her up and hit my test course. The Bike ran like it was on IED's with steroids. Throttle response - WOW. Acceleration - WOW. Stopped at my mid way check point and on an 82 degree day I got 255 degrees on the rear and 220 degrees on the front. At the end of my test course is the gas station. I had ridden 59.8 miles (round it up to 60) the Bike took 1.28 gallons. That's 46.87 miles per gallon. The extra power created by the richer XIED means less throttle to cruise. My fuel mileage went up nicely.

My Bike is set up with Stock air kit and Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles. I have tested in various combinations and find the stock air box works better than the RK3909 K&N kit I have. I also tested stock slip ons versus the Rush slip ons, and found it runs a little cooler with the Rush.

Sorry for being so long. You asked which one to buy. You can buy the IED's and be happy. You can buy the XIED's and be very happy. Either way you go you won't be dissapointed. At prices like $69 and $99, how could you possibly go wrong?

Believe it or not the best system out there is our stock Delphi system. It's only flaw was dictated by the EPA in closed loop mode. Steve at Nightrider corrected the issue and richened up the closed loop. IED/XIED Best Bang for the Buck$$$.

Old 04-18-2008 | 07:38 PM
ko4qc
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hog Heaven

Cruiser:

I have read every single post on this thread.......... would you recommend I wait until the Extremes are availiable......

Chris
..I thought I had read every post also but wonder what you are refering to by "the Extremes"...??..:&gt

Old 04-18-2008 | 10:55 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Ko4qc

Nightriders has developed a new IED called the Extremes, or XIED. They are IED's on Steroids.

IED's run at 14.2 Air Fuel Ratio during closed loop.

XIED's run at 13.8 AFR during closed loop.

They are only about $30 more in price. Mostly due to a different manufacturing process that turns out a very nice little package. Still a simple task of installing them. My last test ride with the XIED's was on an 82 degree day. After my highway run portion of the test I stopped to check my temperatures. Amazingly I saw 255 degrees on the rear cylinder and 220 degrees on the front. They do a very nice job of cooling the engine. Throttle response is awesome as is acceleration. My biggest surprise of the day was when I stoppped to top the tank off. I traveled 60 miles and used 1.28 gallons for an average of 46.87 mpg. More power means less throttle when cruising, means better fuel mileage. They should be available in about one week. Internet price of $99 plus $4 shipping.

Best Bang for the Buck.

Old 04-18-2008 | 11:15 PM
heywood727
Road Master

And if you go back and look at Rider57's dyno of them, ..............2 extra ponies.

Old 04-18-2008 | 11:57 PM
tatertot
Cruiser

How are these used in conjunction with the Fuelpak? It's hard to determine if the Fuelpak is doing it's job of fixing the lean condition. It seems to run good but still get some popping on decel.If I went with the IED's, would I still need the FP?
Larry

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:00 AM
tatertot
Cruiser

By the way. I have a 2008 FLHRC

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:09 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

Hey folks, Someone asked me if the rear sensor wire goes up under where the seat might need to come off to install on an Ultra. I didn'tget to mine today (sick kids). I'm thinking that since I really don't have any experience with HD's and V twins, I should probably get a shop manual to make sure I'm working with the right connections. Does anyone have pictures of their install?Thanks, Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/53401/B067CAC257DF418AA391CAA52DF79DBE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:28 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Joe, I don't have a picture. But locate the O2 sensor in the rear pipe, about midway between the exhaust port and the right side bend. Follow the wire that attaches to the O2 sensor. Approx. 6~8 inches there should be the connectors. Usually the wire goes towards the rear and dissapears between the frame under the seat area. On my bike if I remove the right side cover I can access it. The side covers pull off. Usually there are three rubber O grommets that the side cover has three nipples that insert into the grommets. Just a gentle but steady pull will remove it.

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:42 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Does anyone have pictures of their install?Thanks, Joe
I do. I just took them a couple of days ago. I'll post them in an hour.

How are these used in conjunction with the Fuelpak? It's hard to determine if the Fuelpak is doing it's job of fixing the lean condition. It seems to run good but still get some popping on decel.If I went with the IED's, would I still need the FP?
Larry
The Fuel Pak looks after the open loop portion ( 50% or greater throttle or higher than 4000 rpm). The IED's look after the closed loop portion where you ride most of the time. HD and V&H are not allowed legally to mess too much with the closed loop map. (Thanks CARB, Thanks EPA).

If your bike is near stock, you should be ok with just the IED's. You should be aware that the pop on decel doesn't always mean that it's lean. Sometimes it can be a loose clamp or exhaust bolt that will allow air into the exhaust system.

Dragonbikeworks has been putting on IED's along with the Fuel Paks for his customers. He's had a lot of good things to say about the set up this way. The Fuel Pak is also relying on the info from the 02 sensors as well, but it's somewhat restricted on what it can adjust due to regulations in closed loop.

If you already have the Fuel Pak, call V&H. They will give you the mode number and what you should set it to. You could also PM Dragon and ask him where to set it. He seems to have a good grasp on the the way the FP works.

First, I would check evey bolt and clamp on the exhaust system.

Second, I would contact V&H and find out an alternate setting.

Third, I would put the IED's onanyways.You'll be surprised how much better the bike sounds and runs.(or wait on the XIED's to hit the market). Mine ran great with the IED's on without the FP.Itshould take your pop away.

Old 04-19-2008 | 01:05 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

You guys are the best! Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53401/8623D2BB2B38435AAEF0870AB73B3968.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test