Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:39 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Elpoman,
Is your bike stock?
The only times I have seen temps as high as yours is when aftermarket exhausts were installed.
Some aftermarket exhaust create a scavanging effect on the cylinders drafting some of the charge out in to the exhaust pipes where it may be igniting. Sometimes when this happens the igniting of this charge is heard as a slight popping sound, most times you cant even hear it.
Compare your bikes header colors with another, same year, model and miles.
If the IED's were installed and you did not get a check engine light then they were most likely working correctly.
Did you notice a distinct sound change from the exhaust when you fired up the bike?
To date, I have tested the IED's on 14, 2007 models and 12, 2008 models with no problems detected.
The police department here is testing both the IED and XIED at this time and stay in constant contact with me, again, no problems.

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:54 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

mike5511,

I have the Vance & Hines Oval Slip Ons on my 08 Ultra. (You canread my set up in my sig pic below but it shows the stock pipes.)They work great and are not too loud. With the IED's my bike runs a lot cooler than it did stock. Last weekend we came back from a240 mile ride with the temps in the mid 90's and when I stoped the bike at home I checked the temp and it was 275° front cylinder and 325° rear cylinder. We were in some traffic during the day and didn't get the heat on the inner thighs like before. The bike ran very strong with two up and in 6th gear even when climbing the grades and heading into some strong head winds.

I do run temps hotter than others because of the lower fairings but have always run lowers so I know what to expect.

I just wish that I could be on the short list for testing the new Extreme IED's right now!!!!

PS: Vance & Hines has great customer service. I had one pipe that had the chrome bubble in two spots and I sent a pic and email to them. They shot back an email to ask my shipping addy. A few days later I received a new muffler via UPS. Didn't even have to send the old one back. That is great customer service

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:54 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Rider57. O8 stock Ultra, about 1400 miles on it. No check engine light. I just talked to Steve, and he thankstheyare working correctly. He want me to try them out for a bit more, before, we try something else. I'm new to Harley, and am not experienced enough,to tell the difference in power, and the exhaust sound does not seem to have changed, to me.

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:59 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Rider57. How have you tested your bikes? Where are you taking you temps? What should I be looking for, or trying to detect, to make sure they are working. I thank they are working, or I hope they are, I'm just not able to detect any difference.

Old 04-17-2008 | 10:29 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Any circuit disruption would result in a check engine light.
So, the ecu "sees" the O2 sensors, and that would lead me to state, as Steve did, that the IED's are working.
I have seen 3 different stock FL/FH models, with stock maps, running at 15.3:1 and leaner.
Variations in engines is the most likely cause.

See the PM I sent.

Old 04-17-2008 | 11:26 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Some information for those riders considering buying a new SERT to cure the high heat issue.
This is a new 2008 version hitting dealers now.

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Kit 32109-08 $549.95
Fits fuel injected ’02-later VRSC™, ’07-later XL, ’04-later Dyna®, ’01-later Softail®, and ’02-later Touring models.

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Cable Kit 32184-08 $39.95

Screamin’ Eagle Pro Super Tuner Training DVD 32101-08 $29.95. For use with Super Tuner P/N 32109-08

There is a tool in this Super Tuner software. It is an EXCEL sheet that calculates your NEW VE's by plugging in your OBSERVED AFR and your DESIRED AFR. If you set your desiredAFR to 13, but you get 14.5 AFR at 50% throttle and60% MAP it will show you that you need to increase your VE table in that quadrant by 30 units.

Old 04-17-2008 | 01:18 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rider57
There is a tool in this Super Tuner software. It is an EXCEL sheet that calculates your NEW VE's by plugging in your OBSERVED AFR and your DESIRED AFR. If you set your desiredAFR to 13, but you get 14.5 AFR at 50% throttle and60% MAP it will show you that you need to increase your VE table in that quadrant by 30 units.
Well I can tell by reading this that I need more education on this EFI thang. I read the above and justwent HUH?????????????

Old 04-17-2008 | 01:37 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Elopman:

Here's where I take my temperatures from. Between the Spark plug and the head bolt about 1 inch from the spark plug. The Infrared thermometer should be held about 6 ~ 8 inches away. Make sure the sun is not shining on the target site. If it is simply stand in the light to shade it. The sun can heat the head as well. Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24532/2258ED71E9B44FDF9EBC73386A67E428.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008 | 02:07 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mike5511:

I have tested it both ways, with stock exhaust and with the Rush slip ons. The Rush exhaust do give me slightly lower temps. Not to say that V&H wouldn't do the same.

Rider57 did an experiment with his stock exhaust and started drilling holes in it. He saw Temps come down, and even picked up a Horsepower or two.

So it would seem that back pressure does have an effect on temps too.

All my tests were done with the stock air kit.

Old 04-17-2008 | 02:10 PM
SteveInBC
6th Gear

Can someone please share some information about these laser-guided temperature doo-hickeys.
Recommendations re: brand, model, auto-store (or other retail outlet).

When I google for information I certainly dont see anything in the $20 range

Thanks all

SteveInBC
2008 FLHTCU
Black pearl

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test