Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:21 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I was thinking about the IED till the bike was broken-in and then perhaps upgrade to the XIED.

Cheers
Steve
2008 FLHTCU
'Black Pearl'
I'd put them on as soon as you can. The bike is going to be lean from the factory. I've done the samething and even though temperatures are not a concern for me now, my 08 ran way better and sounded better than stock. I noticed it right away when I took the IED's off when I went to the dealer to have them look at my pipe.

It wasn't the same and it was noticable. I put them back on the next time I got out riding.

We had some nice weather last weekend and I got to put on about 200 miles. 75 two up. What a difference. 6th gear with two up was no problem at 55. Pulled nicely from 2000 rpm up. Smooth all through the throttle.

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:50 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: elpoman

I wish that I could get the temp's you guy's are getting. I did a bunch of test rides today. Rode 25 miles, country roads, one small town, and got 365 degrees,between the head boltand the rear spark plug, with out the IED, 61 degree day. Rode the same 25 miles with IED, and got 375 degrees. Did another run of 12 mile, with out IED got 365 degree's, then I repeated the12 miles with IED and got 355 degrees.I thought things might be getting better. Next time I rode 3 miles at 35 mph simulating city driving with, and with out IED, and got 365 degree's, on both runs. I'm sorry, I seeno improvement with the IED, I'm leaving them on, figuring it can't hurt, but I'm sure not going to waste my money on the XIED, until I start to see some improvements in my bikes temp. This is a stock 08 Ultra. I'm sorry but in my book, the field test failed.
I have got a new 08 Ultra on the way. I sure hope somebody can come up with an answer as to why you aren't seeing better results. I don't want to spend the money on a SERT (ouch), but I will if that is what it takes.

Somebody tell me about the Rush mufflers. Better than V & H? Are they made like V & H where they won't blue???.....Cruiser??

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:03 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mike I can't comment on V&H as I have never been close enough to even attest to the sound. V&H makes a good product and has a good rep.

As for Rush I love mine. No problems with discoloration. They have a nice mellow sound to them. A good Bark when I crack open the throttle, but nice and easy on the ears when cruising. I can hear my radio perfect. I have the 2 inch baffles.

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:38 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Elopman,

Your test results tell me your IED's are not working on your Bike. You should see a more significant difference in temps with and without. Since we have seen enough people with 08's have successful tests we have to reach one of several conclusions.

A. The IED's are not functioning properly.(Yours tested OK)
B. The IED's are not installed right.
C. You have another problem on the Bike interferring with the IED's proper function.

The 07 & 08's are performing flawlessly. So what we need to do is to eliminate possibilities. You say you performed the paperclip voltage meter test??
Do you have a friend who has an 07 or 08 that you can test them on?

Give Steve a call and discuss your problem with him. 727-420-0896 (EST)

Old 04-16-2008 | 10:43 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Hmmmm, sounds like the Extremes made my IED's obsolete before I even got the chance to install them. Oh well, by the time the dealer finally gets my bike ready to go (latest date is April 26!) they should be well tested. Thanks to everyone who's put time and effort into this.

Old 04-17-2008 | 12:00 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

I'm watching the mail for my IEDs. Maybe today. My new EGC is in the driveway with 60 miles on it just waiting. Supposed to be niceriding weather by Friday, so I'll be waiting.

Old 04-17-2008 | 12:11 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

Oh yeah, thanks Cruiser

[IMG]local://upfiles/53401/DC6483316CEA4A0A8835F833A08BA5F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53401/62E0A4E3B3E54FA88A65345B7588635F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-17-2008 | 03:03 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Dave,
V & H advertises a "muffler inside a muffler" kinda thing andguarantees no bluing. I looked at Rush's web-site and can't really tell much about their construction, so I was just wondering.
Do you think your exhaust system has anything to do with the temp readings you are getting with the IEDs? I understand how the AC affects the temps, just wondering if there would be a difference between stock exhaustand your set-up in regards to the temps.

Mike

Old 04-17-2008 | 06:23 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Elpoman:

How are you measuring the temps after you stop the bike? Originally I would pull over, let the bike idle, get off,take the thermometer out of my saddlebag or my zippered jacket pocket anddo the temp measurements. I was getting much higher readings this way thanI get now. In fact, as I was measuring the temps, they kept rising.

What I do now is to pull over and immediately shut the engine off. I keep the thermometer in my jacket pocket with the zipper 3/4 closed to make it easy to get to quickly. I then measure the temps. I find that the temps hold fairly steady and may even drop very slowly - only a degree or two as I do the measurements. I have found measuring this way is moreaccurate than what I was doing before.

Of course, if you look at my temps, there is one that has a huge difference between the front cylinder and the rear cylinder. That was taken on a pretty cool morning where the front cylinder was getting all the cool air, while the rear cylinder was blocked by my legs and the front cylinder. That is the only explanationI have.

Perhaps the lower fairings on your Ultraareon your blocking some of the air flow.

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:29 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Mr Clean. I take my temp measurement just about like you do. I keep the thermometer in a box next to my driveway. I pull in, shut off the bike, get off and grab the infrared and take the measurements. I have only been concerned with the back jug, since that is were most of the heat comes from, that we feel. The front jug have a lower temp, than the back, like everyone else's. The front lowers, are probable why my temps are higher, but my concern is, why they do not change with the IED"s on.I'll give Steve a call, and get his input

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test