Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 04:20 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I have been lurking here almost every day, but I have been very quiet since my last post on March 2nd. I went to Daytona during Bike Week and spoke with the V&H people, a service manager at Rossmeyer’s, and a few other tuner people. These conversations confirmed to me that I still wanted to keep my SE Street Legal slip-ons, My SE A/C & have the dealer do the Stage 1 download (I want the rev limiter increase to 6200 RPM and still keep the warranty intact). After the download, I would reinstall the O2 IED’s.

A computer crash, a bad sinus infection and travel to see the grandkids prevented me from doing anything until this past weekend.

I decided to rerun some of the temperature tests I previously ran before taking the bike to the dealer for the download. All tests were run with the SE slip-ons, on the same day, running the same route over again after each change. Each time, I stopped the bike and shut off the engine and then measured the temps. The outside air temperature was within one degree of 82 F. The temperatures were all measured between the sparkplug and the forward headbolt on each cylinder.

1. Stock A/C without IED’s: Front 301 degrees F, Rear 315 degrees F.
2. Stock A/C with IED’s: 276 299
3. SE A/C without IED’s: 313 328
4. SE A/C with IED’s 288 312

The dealer wanted me to bring the bike in with the SE slip-ons and the SE A/C installed. Naturally, I did not have the IED’s installed. I had the download done yesterday and checked the cylinder temps after a long ride home:

Front 280 degrees F, Rear 318 degrees F.

I know this seems like a huge difference, but the outside air temperature was in the mid 60’s and the front cylinder was getting all that cool air. I probably should have rerun this test in warmer weather before installing the IED’s, but I didn’t.

Today I installed the IED’s and took a nice ride. I checked the temps several times and here is an average of my results with the outside air temperature of 78 degrees F:
Front 283 degrees F, Rear 304 degrees F.

The IED’s are doing their job! It does not appear that the Stage 1 download did anything to significantly improve the cylinder temps, but it did not hurt either. I spent the money and got what I wanted – the higher rev limit and warranty coverage intact.

I am happy that I went through all the testing as I really wanted to use the SE A/C and still get cooler temps. My seat-of-the-pantsimpression is still that the bike runs OK with the stock A/C and the SE slip-ons, but it is not as responsive as it is with the SEA/C and the SE slipons. It accelerates OK with the stock A/C, but not quite as strong as with the SE A/C. Part of my impression may be that I cannot hear the intake sucking with the stock A/Clike I do with the SE A/C.

The only problem is that after the last temperature check today, I put the Infrared thermometer back into my jacket pocket, but forgot to close the zipper. I lost the thermometer on the w

Old 04-16-2008 | 04:50 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mr. Clean you saw the same thing that I did. The stock air kit lowers the engine temp better than an aftermarket kit. I also found that low to mid range power was better with the stock air kit.

The new Extremes are kicking Butt. Best Temperatures to date on a day that was 82 degrees out was 255 Rear and 220 Front. This was taken after a nice cruise at 65 mph. My fuel mileage for this day was a mind blowing 46.87. More power means less throttle, means better fuel mileage.

I have to confess when Steve first offered me the chance to test pilot the Extremes I turned him down. My reason was after a horrible year of spending too much money and getting devices that caused too many problems I was so genuinely happy with the IED's that I didn't want to touch the bike. But Steve convinced me to give them a try. I am so Happy that I changed my mind and put them on the Bike. My Bike is running so good right now. It's running the way I imagined a 17 thousand dollar Bike should run. Throttle response is great. Acceleration on the get on ramp is exciting. Best of all is the consitency that I love. No more one day it feels good and another day it doesn't. This Bike runs consistent now like a finely tuned Rolex. Drive it easy, and fuel mileage is fantastic. For $100, I have got every pennies worth.

My current set up is the Extremes (AFR 13.8), stock air kit, stock exhaust headers and Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles. I'm done, the only thing I have left to do is ride and enjoy myself.

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:05 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Hope you guys are having fun while at least 2 of us are testing!

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:14 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

It's hard to use the word Extreme without the word Fun in the same sentence.

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:19 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Yea, tell me 'bout it.
I really like the XIED's,
Like I said before, wow!

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:34 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

How do you and Rider57 get all the new toys to try out ? lol
I'll be a test subject for Steve using my '06 Bob.

Old 04-16-2008 | 05:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mikeurig

careful what you wish for, you have mail.

Old 04-16-2008 | 07:46 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - 06 Field Test

We are close, real close!

Old 04-16-2008 | 08:48 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Cruiser85257:

So now I am happy. Are you telling meI have to try the extreme IED's when they are available soI can be happier?

Old 04-16-2008 | 09:17 PM
elpoman
Advanced

I wish that I could get the temp's you guy's are getting. I did a bunch of test rides today. Rode 25 miles, country roads, one small town, and got 365 degrees,between the head boltand the rear spark plug, with out the IED, 61 degree day. Rode the same 25 miles with IED, and got 375 degrees. Did another run of 12 mile, with out IED got 365 degree's, then I repeated the12 miles with IED and got 355 degrees.I thought things might be getting better. Next time I rode 3 miles at 35 mph simulating city driving with, and with out IED, and got 365 degree's, on both runs. I'm sorry, I seeno improvement with the IED, I'm leaving them on, figuring it can't hurt, but I'm sure not going to waste my money on the XIED, until I start to see some improvements in my bikes temp. This is a stock 08 Ultra. I'm sorry but in my book, the field test failed.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test