Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008 | 12:59 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I couldn't have said it better.
He is way off in left field and it seems he has'nt a clue as to what he is reading and does not understand that it does not apply to the ecu.
The link subject is about how an O2 works. Something we already know.
If he had useful information and knowledge of the ECU and how the IED's workwith it, he, I think,would not be asking or posting things that do not apply.

Old 04-14-2008 | 07:06 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Just curious has anyone acquired a cylinder head temperature gauge? If so can you provide details.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2008 | 08:50 PM
marcss
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Rider57

What I have discoverd and Steve pretty much confirmed with the 06 issue is this.
The current stock 2006ECU map bias table reads the stock configuration and delivers the best it can with those tables applied.
When the IED's are installed, the O2 sends its normal voltage, the IED's report a lean condition with the voltage that is seen by the ECU. This is exactly what it is supposed to do.
The ECU gives a Check Engine because it knows it is giving all the fuel allowed by that map.
The result, engine is too lean and I (ecu) cant fix it, give the rider a Check Engine and let him know that this or both cylinders are not getting enough fuel.

The IED's made this hidden problem show up, but are not the cause.
It's a very strict map that can be corrected by someone who know how to correctly edit the bias tables.
So the improvements I thought I was getting on my '06 wide glide, with the codes, is just wishful thinking; or maybe from the stage 1 download (open mufflers only, stock a/c). I didn't do a good test and I don't have an IR thermo yet so it may not be running any cooler or stronger like I thought. I am hoping someone or Steve comes up with a fix so theseIED's work on the '06 dynas. I wonder if the stage 1 dowload helps in any way? Some say it might be a problem with the '06 O2 sensors themselves. Seems like an ECU problem is more likely and I hope having to buy a Race Tuner is not the solution. Keep trying guys!! Mystock '06 dyna runs hot too!! Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:09 PM
elpoman
Advanced

Cruiser. My Ultra is and O8, just got it in early March. Just had the 1000 mile service done, put synthetic oil in. It is bone stock. We had a nice warn day a couple of weeks ago, andthe motordidget hot, and felt it on my right leg, even after we got onto open road, and got up to cruising speeds. I do have the mid frame defectors. I feel the heat more, on my upper calve. I'm new to Harley's, so I find it hard to detect any of the finer points, that the IED, may be helping. I did just get an infrared thermometer, with a lazier pointer. I hope this may make, taking heat reading, a little more exact.

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:01 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: marcss

What I have discoverd and Steve pretty much confirmed with the 06 issue is this.
The current stock 2006ECU map bias table reads the stock configuration and delivers the best it can with those tables applied.
When the IED's are installed, the O2 sends its normal voltage, the IED's report a lean condition with the voltage that is seen by the ECU. This is exactly what it is supposed to do.
The ECU gives a Check Engine because it knows it is giving all the fuel allowed by that map.
The result, engine is too lean and I (ecu) cant fix it, give the rider a Check Engine and let him know that this or both cylinders are not getting enough fuel.

It's a very strict map that can be corrected by someone who know how to correctly edit the bias tables.
So the improvements I thought I was getting on my '06 wide glide, with the codes, is just wishful thinking; or maybe from the stage 1 download (open mufflers only, stock a/c). I didn't do a good test and I don't have an IR thermo yet so it may not be running any cooler or stronger like I thought. I am hoping someone or Steve comes up with a fix so theseIED's work on the '06 dynas. I wonder if the stage 1 dowload helps in any way? Some say it might be a problem with the '06 O2 sensors themselves. Seems like an ECU problem is more likely and I hope having to buy a Race Tuner is not the solution. Keep trying guys!! Mystock '06 dyna runs hot too!! Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread! Keeping my fingers crossed!!
You are probably getting some good out of the IED's, but you are also getting a check engine light. If you could ignore the light for a while (10 to 15 miles), get some new plugs, gapped properly. Find a clear, paved country road. Install the new plugs. Accellerate to 65 quick as possible, pull the clutch, hit the kill switch and stop. Pull the plugs and read them. White = Lean, Tan to light brown = Normal Burn, Dark Brown = IED's working.
The engine light is just an indicator as long as it is a steady light. Flashing, you have more to worry about than the lean burn.

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:05 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

I understand the being new to Harley. I bought my first Harley in August 08, after riding Metric Bikes for the last 30 years. Like you I have no frame of reference as to what normal is. I mean I do now, but back in the beginning it was tough. The last Harleys I had before that was back in the 70's when the Tank said AMF on it. They have come a long way.

The thermometer will definitely help you see if there is any difference, as there should be if the IED's are doing there job.

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:58 PM
marcss
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: marcss

You are probably getting some good out of the IED's, but you are also getting a check engine light. If you could ignore the light for a while (10 to 15 miles), get some new plugs, gapped properly. Find a clear, paved country road. Install the new plugs. Accellerate to 65 quick as possible, pull the clutch, hit the kill switch and stop. Pull the plugs and read them. White = Lean, Tan to light brown = Normal Burn, Dark Brown = IED's working.
The engine light is just an indicator as long as it is a steady light. Flashing, you have more to worry about than the lean burn.
OK, I'm confused. I thought the IED's richen the AFR in closed loop only. Wouldn't accellerating to 65 as quick as possible be mostly open loop? (what is it, 4200 rpm and/or under 50% throttle?) Shouldn't I try to keep it in closed loop then check the plugs? I rode all weekend with the IED's in hot to warm San Diego area and the bike ran great. Code light came and went, mostly went off so "historic" not "current" condition. But if the ecu can't give it more fuel then it isn't doing much, is it? Autozone has the I R thermometers for $20 but every one I checked was out so I ordered it. If it's cooling the engine down that's the main thing, cause it's running pretty darn good... better than ever. Just gets too darn hot.

Old 04-15-2008 | 07:34 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

That's why we want to look at the plugs. They will tell the story better.
True, the bike will be in open loop most of that time but the 8 to 10 second dump of fuel that first occurs is in closed loop on hard acceleration itwill color the plugs quickly. Keep away from the 50% throttle if you can.

Old 04-15-2008 | 09:46 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

Well I finally picked up my 08 EGC! It's my first Harley also and I'm a little bit giddy if I do say so myself. The IEDs are on the way from Steve. My question is, should I put them on right away during break in or should I wait a bit? So far, I've only put 100 miles on it (weather here has been lousy). Though I love the machine, I can already feel the heat even though it's still chilly heresouth of Boston. If I can figure out the picture thing, I'll add that here too. It keeps telling me the file is too big.Thanks for your help!Joe

Old 04-15-2008 | 02:11 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Joe, I would put the IED's on right away. Keeping the engine a little cooler during break in can't be a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test