Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 01:23 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

What I have discoverd and Steve pretty much confirmed with the 06 issue is this.
The current stock 2006ECU map bias table reads the stock configuration and delivers the best it can with those tables applied.
When the IED's are installed, the O2 sends its normal voltage, the IED's report a lean condition with the voltage that is seen by the ECU. This is exactly what it is supposed to do.
The ECU gives a Check Engine because it knows it is giving all the fuel allowed by that map.
The result, engine is too lean and I (ecu) cant fix it, give the rider a Check Engine and let him know that this or both cylinders are not getting enough fuel.

The IED's made this hidden problem show up, but are not the cause.
It's a very strict map that can be corrected by someone who know how to correctly edit the bias tables.

Old 04-13-2008 | 01:26 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mikeurig I didn't think you were serious. I just put that little side note up for those who come along and don't know Steve or what lead up to the refund.

Rider57 can give you a good account of what happened with the 06's when they left the factory. He's done quite a bit of research into it.

Old 04-13-2008 | 08:32 PM
marcss
Road Captain

I talked to Steve and went on a weekend trip to San Diego with IED's installed ('06 fxdwg). It threw codes again, but it ran great! It was hot down there and the bike seems to run cooler (waiting on ir thermo). Seems to pull harder at lower rpm's (closed loop!) because I noticed that the bike ran better in the higher gears where before I would need to downshift. No lugging. That means less wear and tear, less heat, and better mileage. I got in the low to midfortys where normally I would have got in the mid to upperforty mpg. Not bad. Hopefully this code throwing is just some software/sensor ecm glitch. The bike is running great and I have not had my intermittent missing/choking problem either. I'll check to see what the plugs look like tomorrow

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:06 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Marcss,

Don't expect a big change in the spark plugs. It sounds like you had a great weekend and the Bike is running good. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-14-2008 | 12:51 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Rider57 thanks for taking the time to look into the problem. Most companies wouldn't have bothered once they realized their product wasn't the cause.

So in Laymans terms the Moco set the closed loop bias table too lean. Leaner than the settings for the 07 & 08's. The IED sends a signal calling for more fuel, but because the Bias Table doesn't go as high it throws codes because it can't handle the request at the limit the IED is calling for.

The 07 & 08's bias table can go up to 798mv. The 06 can only go up to 700. In terms of air fuel ratio 798=14.1. So 700 is probably around 14.4 (my approximation).

The good news is the 06's never had a heat problem like the 07 & 08's have. That was always the intent of the IED, just to cool the engine off. The other fringe benefits that came along the way are a bonus.

Thanks for taking your time and helping to solve this mystery. I hope I got it right.

Old 04-14-2008 | 09:17 AM
elpoman
Advanced

I got my IED's a mouth ago, and wanted to wait until I got my 1000 mile service done, on my Ultra, before installing. To tell the truth, I see know difference in my bike. I tested the bike a few time,with and with out the IED's, riding 12 miles, each time, and tested the temp, beside the spark plug, and got similar temps each time, around 350 degrees, on the rear head. My test was 12 miles of country roads, at 55 mph, with three stop signs, and tested the heat as soon as I shut down the bike in my drive way. I tested the IED's, to see if they work, and got a .5 less volts off a 1,5 battery. It wasa cool day, around 55 degrees,and very a windy day. I'll try again when it warms up. I really want these to work, because I do not want to put a lot more money into the bike. I want to keep it stock, and do a lot of traveling with it. Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong. I'm sure they were plugged in correctly, I got the same reading with, and with out them.

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:26 AM
wmw
Novice

Rider57 thanks for taking the time to look into the problem. Most companies wouldn't have bothered once they realized their product wasn't the cause.
So in Laymans terms the Moco set the closed loop bias table too lean. Leaner than the settings for the 07 & 08's. The IED sends a signal calling for more fuel, but because the Bias Table doesn't go as high it throws codes because it can't handle the request at the limit the IED is calling for.
The 07 & 08's bias table can go up to 798mv. The 06 can only go up to 700. In terms of air fuel ratio 798=14.1. So 700 is probably around 14.4 (my approximation).
The good news is the 06's never had a heat problem like the 07 & 08's have. That was always the intent of the IED, just to cool the engine off. The other fringe benefits that came along the way are a bonus.
Thanks for taking your time and helping to solve this mystery. I hope I got it right.
[/align][/align]reply,[/align]The reason that the Delphi ecu is turning the FI-light onis because it is seeing a false simulated voltage.[/align]The O2 sensor is producing a output voltage reading and the Delphi ecu requires that theinput readings[/align]match up to the presetcalibration values to make the necessary short and long term fuel adjustments.[/align]These readings are matched to the pre-programmed source-code calibration in the main processor.[/align]I have included a simple chart showing the actions of a typical sensor operation.[/align][/align]Try connecting a digital voltmeter to the O2 sensors input circuit to the Delphi ecu and you will see how the sensor is operating.[/align][/align]https://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/sensors/et_switching_oxygen.pdf [/align]

Old 04-14-2008 | 10:56 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Cruiser85257,
The readjusted bias tablematched to the editedVE tables, cure the problem in the 06 models. It will take someone who knows the mapping and applies the edits to the ecu correctly.
Contrary to published statements about "simulated signal" being read by the ecu, the ecu doesnt know a what a "simulated signal" is and has no "source code" applied that would do so.
The source code is the basic setup that is applied to the EEprom to map the cells that can have edits applied and locks out those that, if edits are applied, would cause the ecu to stop working.
The source code, you could say, is the OS for the ecu and the maps are user settings that are much the same as you can do with your computer.

Old 04-14-2008 | 11:52 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Elopman

What year is your Ultra? Do you have any mods?

Old 04-14-2008 | 12:45 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

WMW

The IED's were originally conceived for the heat problem on the 07 & 08's. As you can clearly see by the many who tested the units on their 07 and 08 Bikes it works perfectly. Additional benefits have been noted along the way. The IED's were not designed for the 06 Bikes. It was experimentally tried on the 06's and because the MoCo has set up the ECU differently it didn't work out as it has with the 07 & 08's.

I've read your literature and it doesn't seem to apply to the 07 & 08's. Because no IF light is being triggered by the IED on either bike.

If there is some significant point to your posts then do us all a favor and get to the point.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test