Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008 | 08:14 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

My 2" Rush slipons arrived Thursday, but due to rain Thursday night and all day Friday, I was not able to put any miles on it until today.
To say I am pleased wuld be an understatement.
I put all total just a little over 100 miles on, with a couple of stops and temperature measurments.
Here's what I had today, with the Rush mufflers and 2' baffles:
Outside air temp 58deg F. IR temp readings after approx 30 miles of varied driving
1st reading Front 226 deg F Rear 254 deg F= 28 deg differential
2nd readingFront 229 deg F Rear 256 deg F= 27 deg differential

So, after taking readings in 3 different configurations, here's what I've got.
1st test= stock;OAT 56; F cyl 271 / R cyl 298; Temp dif.= 27
2nd test= IED's;OAT 74; F cyl 298 / R cyl 322; Temp dif.= 24
3rd test= IED's & Rush 2"; OAT 58; F cyl 229 / R cyl 256; Temp dif.= 27

With the outside air temperature being within 2 degrees, the difference in cyl head temp between test 1 and test 3 is significant.
Temps are down 42 degrees.And, the performance gain is really quite noticable.
All in all, I'm a happy boy!!

Thanks to all.

Old 04-12-2008 | 08:39 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Skidly, thanks for responding back to Lano on the TVII. I know there are members out there who have had a great experience with them. I just wasn't one of the Lucky ones. But I don't go around saying they're all bad, because I do know that for some they work. It just wasn't in the Stars for me. They say when God closes a door he opens a window. The journey lead me to Steve and his IED's.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-12-2008 | 08:48 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

GS34Doc

That's a nice difference. I'm sure your a Happy Boy now. Welcome to Nightriders IED Club.

Old 04-13-2008 | 09:12 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

For the 06 riders with ied code troubles...got this from Stephen...Dave, Phil, Marc;[/align] Post this message on the Forum as an open note to all 2006 Dyna owners[/align] [/align] To all 2006 Dyna Owners that have purchased O2 IED's:[/align] It has come to the attention of Nightrider.com that theresome 2006 Dyna model bikes that throwECM codes after installing the O2 IED's on a regular basis. These "ECM" codes havepersisteddespite diligent efforts by the06 Dyna owners, some dedicated forum usersand Nightrider.com to resolve the situation. The 2006 Dyna owners have double checked connections and Nightrider has provided "hand checked" replacement IED's, but the situation hasremained on these bikes. Where use of the IED's on 07/08 TC96 engines is essentiallyalways successful, the 2006 Dyna's still throw occasional ECM codes.[/align] [/align] Because this situation is very specific to some 2006 Dyna's, Nightrider has decided that theIED's are no longerapproved for use onthe 2006 Dyna's. Any Rider that ordered O2 IED's for their 2006 Dyna's and feels they are not performing as expected can get return authorization tosend them back toNightrider.com for a full refund. Please e-mailperformance@nightrider.com for specific return information.[/align] [/align] We apologize for any inconvenience that the effected 2006 Dyna owners may have experienced. But the original design criteria on the O2 IED was to reduce engine/exhaust heat on the TC96 engines. Use of the IED on the 2006 Dyna's was "grandfathered" in because they were H-D's original test bed for closed-loop EFI. Obviously there were enough changes between the 2006 Dyna's and the 2007 later TC96 engines to create unforeseen circumstances.[/align] [/align] We have some speculation as to why this problem is occurring on some of the 2006 Dyna's. The speculations match the symptoms, but can not be validated because the root cause of the errors appears to be engineering situations originating with the manufacturer. We will be glad to discuss our speculations with 2006 Dyna owners off the forum.[/align] [/align] For any 2006 Dyna owners that want to try to use their IED's, we will continue to support them to the best of our ability. While we feel there is little chance of any damage to their engines, we do ask these riders to use their own best judgment as to continued use of the IED's. Feel free to contact Nightrider for support.[/align] [/align] [/align] [align=left]Stephen Mullen[/align] [align=left]SPMullen LLC[/align] [align=left]www.Nightrider.com[/align] [align=left]www[/align].

Old 04-13-2008 | 10:04 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Phil K

Nightrider has decided that theIED's are no longerapproved for use onthe 2006 Dyna's. Any Rider that ordered O2 IED's for their 2006 Dyna's and feels they are not performing as expected can get return authorization tosend them back toNightrider.com for a full refund...

[align=left]Stephen Mullen[/align] [align=left]SPMullen LLC[/align] [align=left]www.Nightrider.com[/align] [align=left]www[/align].

Now there's a refreshing change- a company that offers 100% refund when their product doesn't work as advertised for specific vehicles.
Many a company could learn a lot from such a business model.

I'm not affected by this problem, but I can appreciate good customer support...

Old 04-13-2008 | 11:57 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I guess the ones that are already in the mail I'll give to my brother-in-law to try out and the old ones I'll mail back.

But My bike "DID NOT THROW A CODE, JUST HAD THE ENGINE LIGHT COME ON". Which I believe would come on when the engine started to get warm.
I'll report after I try the new ones.
Now a question or 2 or 3...
Since I have my Cycle Shack slip-ons on...
Should I reinstall my SE A/C and get HD's download or reinstall th SE A/C and the PCIII and get it dynoed?
Should I reinstall the PCIII's eliminators and keep the stock air box on and try it that way?

I wonder if the XIED's would work?

Old 04-13-2008 | 12:01 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Steve already updated his website saying such.
For our Dyna headaches he should send us free LC1 kits.

Old 04-13-2008 | 12:44 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

For your 06 headaches the Moco should fix your bike properly. It's not Steve's fault that they don't work right. Although you have to give the Man credit for immediately correcting the situation and offering a 100% refund without even having to ask for it.

Be grateful for your 06, you didn't have to live with the heat for the last year until Steve came along with a fix for our problems on the 07 & 08's.

Knowing Steve he loves a challenge. Wouldn't surprise me if he came back out with a product for your bike down the road.

Old 04-13-2008 | 01:15 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

cruiser85257,
I'm not blaming Steve at all. Sorry you took that the wrong way. Steve is very much a stand up guy and I give him a ton of credit. His site has helped my learn to rejet carbs and install en evo cam(1998)
Seems to me the MOCO changed more than just the frame and cams and a few other things starting with the 06 Dynas.
I guess 06 Dynas were guinea pigs.

Old 04-13-2008 | 01:17 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Now there's a refreshing change- a company that offers 100% refund when their product doesn't work as advertised for specific vehicles.
Many a company could learn a lot from such a business model.

I'm not affected by this problem, but I can appreciate good customer support...
+1

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test