Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008 | 09:14 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: wmw

ORIGINAL: Rider57
If you dont know what an O2 sensor does then knowing the voltages would not do you any good. The nominal voltage at the needed AFR is what you want to look for. Let us know what you find out.

reply,
The nominal voltage at the needed AFR is what you want to look for?
What is your understanding as the nominal voltage reading of the O2 sensor's output.

[/quote]
There is no nominal voltage that is stationary. It is dependant on the gases the O2 sensor (at temp) sees. Dont you understand that?
If I have to explain this further I would recommend you not undertake any modifications to your ride's ecu circuitry or exhaust system.

Old 04-12-2008 | 09:15 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: skidly

have you tried leaving the ied's installed and riding your bike for an extended amount of time and see if the codes go away?
Have ridden between 10 and 40 miles with the ied's and it seems to throw a code after riding a few miles...sometimes the check engine light stays lit..other times it goes off and on...but it always comes back after i clear it. Pretty frustrating!

Old 04-12-2008 | 10:58 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

There is no nominal voltage that is stationary. It is dependant on the gases the O2 sensor (at temp) sees. Dont you understand that?
If I have to explain this further I would recommend you not undertake any modifications to your ride's ecu circuitry or exhaust system.
I wouldn't bite. This is getting strange as you go along.

wmw.... why are some of your posts edited or deleted? What's your back ground. Electrical..technical?? Have you "Googled 02 sensors" to get a basic understanding on how they work or the theory of them?

Do you have a bike? Any mods done to it? I'd liketo see a picture of it.

Why are you 8/10 posts only have to do with the ECM, the fuel systems, and TBW? I'd figure if you had a bike, you'd be asking about other things or asking questioning to other posts? You've joined in 2006 and yet these are the only things you've asked?

I think cruiser maybe right. Why don't you answer some of my questions. It seems your answering questions with questions??

[sm=feedback.gif]

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 04-12-2008 | 11:49 AM
wmw
Novice

[quote]ORIGINAL: Rider57
reply,
The nominal voltage at the needed AFR is what you want to look for?
What is your understanding as the nominal voltage reading of the O2 sensor's output.

[quote] Rider57

It is dependant on the gases the O2 sensor (at temp) sees.

reply,
Once a narrow band or switching O2 sensors are in a functional operation mode which isapproximately 8-10 secs,the voltage readings do not remain at a fixed value.
The delphi ecu see the flexuating voltage readings being in the rich 720MVor lean 120MV category and will make the nessessary ajustments.
If the delphi ecu sees a longer than normal richer or leaner input,it will ajust to that and then revert back to the factory preset calibrations.
So if simulated readings arecontinually richer or leaner the delphi ecu will richen or lean out the calibration,but will then revert back to the corrected calibration.
So if the reading are simulated for any longperiod of time they will always be corrected back to the factory preset calibration.
This is the result as to why DTC's are appearing when you try to simulate incorrect inputs to the delphi ecu.

Old 04-12-2008 | 01:02 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Lano

You make me feel bad now that you bought the TVII on my word. My experience turned bad in the end. Yet there are those up here who swear on it. I think I have come to understand it better after my experience with the IED's and my conversations with Steve. Using the IED as an example of what a Bike running at 14.2 will act like, my TVII seemed to run at a higher AFR. I noticed that the two that I got to run on the Bike never seemed to address the engine heat problem. Yet the Bike seemed to have good throttle response, and always the fuel mileage was in the mid to upper 40's. They say ignorance is bliss. Had I never bought an infrared thermometer, I never would have known how hot my engine was running with the TVII connected. There Tech Man seemed to think it was runninghot too. I would say give the TVII a chance and run it for a few hundred miles. You might be one of the lucky ones and get a good unit. Keep an eye on the temperature.
As for the Extremes, I think they alone would be sufficient. Check with Steve to be sure. I know the Extremes run a lot richer than the TVII did.

Please keep me updated on how the Unit works.

Old 04-12-2008 | 01:21 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Heywood, make sure you have enough aluminum foil wrapped around your head.

Old 04-12-2008 | 01:21 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Now we're starting to get somewhere.
The ECU doesnt now a simulated input from a real one.
The nominal voltage is in the mv range and it only looks at what it is at the sampling rate programmed.
With the IED's installed,the ecu only knows that it needs to deliver more fuel and does so.
Thats howecu works, and was designed to work.

Old 04-12-2008 | 04:34 PM
Lano
Intermediate

Cruiser, Don't feel bad. I'm a big boy. I just don't believe I have seen this question addressed yet. I think I am going to install the TV II with the IEDs inline. I am hoping this will be a good combination. I'll be the guinea pig on this one.

Old 04-12-2008 | 05:19 PM
skidly
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Lano

Cruiser, Don't feel bad. I'm a big boy. I just don't believe I have seen this question addressed yet. I think I am going to install the TV II with the IEDs inline. I am hoping this will be a good combination. I'll be the guinea pig on this one.
I have a Terminal Velocity on my 05 FLHPI with Big Sucker and Rhineheart Tru-Duals and I'm real happy with how it runs. I have not measured head temps yet but have been using since 06. I will get a infer therm and check it and report back ...... didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'd try it without the ieds 1st.

Old 04-12-2008 | 07:20 PM
Lano
Intermediate

Thanks skidly, I'll get off this line of thought on this thread also.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test