Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:13 PM
Phil K
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Hmmm...took off the ied's and ran bike a short time...no codes. Say what ya want,but there are a few of us 06 riders having the same results..ied's-code...no ied's-no code. What could possibly be different on the 06's as opposed to the 07's and 08's? Will try again with the new ones and hope for the best.

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:17 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Phil K

Hmmm...took off the ied's and ran bike a short time...no codes. Say what ya want,but there are a few of us 06 riders having the same results..ied's-code...no ied's-no code. What could possibly be different on the 06's as opposed to the 07's and 08's? Will try again with the new ones and hope for the best.
Phil,
Steve and I are investigating this and should have an answer soon.

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:54 PM
hdstbob
Novice

I agree Phil.....there must be a difference in the 06 that attributes to these codes reappearing.
I test rode my bike tonight again with the IED's in place and after ensuring my 02 sensors,headers and slip ons were all snugged up properly and the P0131 and P0151 codes reappeared.

Will have to ride without IED's until this possible issue is resolved......find it hard to believe it has anything to do with the IED's not functioning as designed.....would tend to believe it is more related to something that may have been overlooked on the 06 design when utilizing these IED's.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:16 PM
skidly
Intermediate

have you tried leaving the ied's installed and riding your bike for an extended amount of time and see if the codes go away?

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:51 PM
hdstbob
Novice

have you tried leaving the ied's installed and riding your bike for an extended amount of time and see if the codes go away?

Not sure what an extended amount of time would be, but did ride approximately 50 miles total with the IED's in service. Would not throw a code immediately on start up, but within the first couple of minutes of normal riding the engine light would appear and remain on.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:54 PM
marcss
Road Captain

Just put on the new IED's on my '06 FXDWG and got the codes again. Emailed Steve. Waiting for a reply. To be honest, in my short test ride I couldn't tell if they are working. My IR thermo is on backorder. Otherwise runs about the same. The improvements I noticed before could have been from the stage one flash. I didn't do a good job of testing... yet. I would have called him but it's 10 pm there

Old 04-11-2008 | 09:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Lost1:

Yes the Extreme is a variant of the IED. I don't know the difference to be honest, that's all a part of Steve's world. The only things I know are one gives you an AFR of 14.2, the other an AFR of 13.8. I do know the process to manufacture them is more costly, thus the higher cost. Steve said it would be a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2008 | 10:06 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Cruiser!

Old 04-11-2008 | 11:45 PM
wmw
Novice

ORIGINAL: Rider57
If you dont know what an O2 sensor does then knowing the voltages would not do you any good. The nominal voltage at the needed AFR is what you want to look for. Let us know what you find out.
[/quote]

reply,
The nominal voltage at the needed AFR is what you want to look for?
What is your understanding as the nominal voltage reading of the O2 sensor's output.

Old 04-12-2008 | 08:46 AM
Lano
Intermediate

Very interesting thread. I have been following it from the start. I have an 08 Heritage Classic. I have a new D&D Fatcat (quiet baffle), SE A/C (with Zippers element) and a TV II sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. My question is: Would the Extremes be enough for the exhaust and A/C alone, or how about installing the Extremes inline with the TV II? I would appreciate your thoughts on this Cruiser. I bought the TV II on your earlier recommendations and am now wondering if I have a "White Elephant".

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test