Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:53 PM
hdstbob
Novice
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Philand Mike,
We are all using IED's on a 2006 model (mine is a FXDBI) and experiencing similar problems. Has anyone successfully used these IED's on a 2006 model without throwing codes?

I have thrown the P0131 and P0151 codes intermitently since installing my IED's also (I made my own). I know they are working properly, as I checked them with a meter and ensured the connectors were all secured. I have since tightened my muffler clamps, 02 sensors and header mounting bolts, but have been unable to run the bike to check for furthercodesdue to weather.

I am running a stock ACand Rush 1.75" slip ons with an unaltered MAP.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:48 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I just now got finished putting my Rush 2" slipons on. Old stockers came off easy, and the Rush went on like they had eyes. Tightned everything down and can't wait to try them tomorrow.
I have been so pleased with the way the bike is running with just the IED's in place, that I was sort of torn about even messing with the exhaust.
Just hope the weather holds tomorrow so I can check it out. If it's Ok, I'll get some temperatures and post them.

07 FLHTC
Detachable Tour-Pak
IED's
Rush 2" slipons

Old 04-10-2008 | 10:19 PM
wmw
Novice

WMW, I don't understand your comment. Why do we want to measure voltage output from the O2 factory sensor? We have 19 pages here on the topic of Nightriders IED. How about the whole forum with not one reading on the sensors voltage. There are a lot of discussions going on up here about a lot of fuel mngt systems with not one person recording voltage from the stock sensor.

You don't understand my comment because you and these 19 pages have not measured the O2 sensor output readings.

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:24 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

WMW, I'm not the builder of the device. Over the last year I have spent a lot of time and money trying various fuel mngt devices seeking a cure for the excessive heat coming off these engines. These 19 pages reflect a test I started using Nightriders IED. A test that went rather well to my standards and what I was seeking. There are a lot of other people within these 19 pages who also tested the product for the same reasons I did and got very similar results if not identical results. They like me are very happy with their Bikes now.

Personally I don't care what the O2 sensor reading is. I didn't care when I bought and used a Race Tuner, nor did I care when I bought and used a Power Commander, or any of the other devices I wasted a lot of money on.

I spent $69 whole dollars and now have a cool good running bike. My results have been duplicated by many.

So tell me what am I missing out on by not knowing the output reading?

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:35 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Rider57 did on post 743.

Why does it matter? Have you gone to Nightriders site and checked out how there constucted? If you have, then you should know how and why it works??

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Go here and look at the technical guide. If that doesn't do it for you, and 19 pages, you should contact Steve Mullen and ask him yourself. He always returns his e-mails and can give you all the answers that you may be looking for?

He can give you a better explanation better than I can or an example that's been posted here already.

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:43 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Heywood something just doesn't seem right here with our friend.

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:11 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

hdatbob,

My problem on my 06 FXDBI is that the check engine light comes on but there are "NO CODES" recorded.
Check your connections, clear the code and try again. I am waiting for a new pair to arrive and will see what happens.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:22 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Hi all, just want to let everyone know that I just installed my IED's. I have had them a while, but wanted to wait until I got my 1000 mile service done, on my new Ultra. So far, know problems, and the bike seems to run cooler. I'll report back after a few more miles

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:25 AM
elpoman
Advanced

<----- This is me with my new Harley, my first.

Old 04-11-2008 | 08:37 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

P0131 / P0151 Codes
I am looking at 3 bikes that were recently purchased by some friends and they are giving the same codes.
The date of production and the date of the flash do not match.
I am thinking that a factory flash update was put out to the dealers instructing them to update certian production VIN's with this new flash and somehow it was applied to bikes that were not on the list.
In 2006, some bikes, but not all, were showing problems on hesitation during hot engine cycles. The problems were reported to the dealer and this flash was applied without investigating the cause. In most cases, the problem ceased and the cause was again "resolved".
Looking at the settings I have found that the TPS was incorrectly set. This was tested on a bike with no codes and the results duplicated with codes P0131 and P0151 registering.
As stated before, the IED's cannot throw a code. The O2 sensors can, either by failure or LOS (bad connections).
Take note that failures of the O2 sensor are at 12%. Of the failures, 85% were due to contamination from user intervention. This can mean gas additives, bad gas, alternative fuels. If you or anyone else has ever removed the O2 sensor for whatever reason, contamination from that alone could be the problem.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test