Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:20 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: heywood727

Rider57... I talked to Steve today and he told me you might be the best person to ask about the fuel Pak. He's under the impression that the fuel pak may have nothing to do with the bike in the closed loop position. Do you have any thoughts on it?

I'm kind of confused about that. Why would the dealers be installing these to help with the heat and leanessin the closed loop settings? If that was the case, I should've left it with just the stage 1? What's the point? Once we get above a certain throttle position it switches to open loop and then there's no problem with the AFR? What use would the Fuel Pak be if it only operated in open loop mode?

Does V&H Fuel Pak have to comply with EPA regs as well? Steve thinks it may? Any literature or results that you may be able to point me to on the subject?The web site says for race applications only and not legal in California.

The other questions you asked before. It was never stock. I took delivery of it with the Stage 1 download, high flow a/c, and the bub 7's installed. When it warms up, I'll have to find someone around here with a completly stock 08 RG and have him follow me around, and then take a thermo reading of the 2 bikes. Even 1 with the Stage 1 will do for a bench mark.

The mod of the pipe was for sound and future performancemods. I wanted a pipe to handle anything I may throw at it later. I also requested the Stage 1 set up as I've been pretty happy with it on the 02. Later did I find out that they eliminated the race downloads for the 08's. Fell outside EPA regs.

Steve figures I'll be more than happy in about 2 weeks. He thinks it'll work "extremely" well for my application and system.An added bounuswith the fuel pak on. Head work and Andrews 54 cams are later when the warranty expirers.
Sorry for the late reply on this one. Got too involved in the XIED testing.
The FP is adjustable in the open loop area and as such it is possibel to get a good balance between open loop and closed loop with the IED /XIED taking care of the closed loop runs.
The only area of concern to me is that the FP techs need to get the information out on what the adjustments are. Telling someone to change this setting up one and that one down one isnt of any help in the customer relations area. 31 settings on the present FP and 35, I think, on the next generation coming out soon can be exhaustive.
Sounds like Basking & Robins, 31 Flavors....

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:30 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

I have tested 3 bike with them installed and found only 2 degrees error on one and 1 degree on the other 2.
Wow, are you talking about the ambient air temp gauge. I guess I have a severely defective one. It's never been even remotely close.
No. I dont even look at that one. I was talking about Cyl. Head Temp.

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:35 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: wmw

There are 19 pages here on this topic,with no recordedvoltage reading on the output from the factory O2 sensors.
WMW, I don't understand your comment. Why do we want to measure voltage output from the O2 factory sensor? We have 19 pages here on the topic of Nightriders IED. How about the whole forum with not one reading on the sensors voltage. There are a lot of discussions going on up here about a lot of fuel mngt systems with not one person recording voltage from the stock sensor.
The voltage at the sensors can vary from 0 to 1.2 volts and are different with each bike. What is more important is what the ECU is doing with what it seesin the way of those values.

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Found the perfect replacement for the ambient temperature gauge. It's a Cylinder Head Temperature gauge made by Dakota. It should look real good when mounted and will allow me to watch how cool my engine runs now with the Extremes on it.

Dakota part numbers

Gauge =ODYR-11-1 retails $124.95 Sending UnitSen-11 retails 10.95 (six feet long)

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd347.htm

Old 04-10-2008 | 05:47 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

That's a good one. +-4F close enough for what we want.

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:03 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Gundog

phil K
How do you read the code...i thought you needed a device to plug into the ECM for that...is there a way to check the actual code without?...and do i have to contact the dealer to figure out what the code is? Thanks for the help!
Go tothis forum and check out some of the topics.

https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247/tt.htm
Thanks for the info....code was a lean front o2 sensor...moved it to the rear and it threw a lean rear 02 sensor code...have a new pair of ied's on the way...Nightrider's a class act....

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:15 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mikeurig

Phil I have the same year and model as you. After a few minutes my check engine light comes on and leaves no code.
I just got done rechecking all the connections. I ran the bike and then the light came on, shut her down and checked for codes, "no codes".
I uninstalled the IEDs and ran the bike, the light came on then went out all under 30 seconds, no codes.
I reinstalled the IEDs and the light came on again and didn't go out so I stopped it and removed the IEDs, again no codes.
Started the bike again and the light came on then went out in 30 seconds so I left the IEDs off and will take it to work tomorrow and see if anything happens.

We have to remember that the 2006 Dyna's are the first bikes to have the sensors on them, maybe Steve at Nightrider can help us out.

Mike

PS - Anyone else have any ideas?

It's pretty agravating...it will be fine for 20 miles or so,than throw code p0131 as i slow or stop...sometimes the check engine light will flicker, sometimes go out, but always comes back on eventually. I moved the ied to the rear sensor and it also threw a code after a short time. I don't have a meter to test 'em with, but Steve is sending me a new pair of ied's. Thing is, it seems like even though it throws a code, the ied's seem to be working...lost my cold start stumble and i swear the bike runs smoother and cooler. Curious to see how the new pair work. Never had a problem until the ied install, though. Maybe i'll yank 'em off and try without 'em...after this crappy weather straightens up...42 and rain for the next 3 days! Good luck and keep me informed on how yer scooter fares and i'll do the same.

Old 04-10-2008 | 06:32 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Phil go check out this thread, they're discussing throwing the same codes.

http://www.hdtalking.com/electrical/...need_help.html

Old 04-10-2008 | 07:30 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Steve is sending me a new pair. I don't know why the check engine light comes on but doesn't show a code.
Rode to work today without the IEDs in and had no check engine light on.

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:24 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Sorry for the late reply on this one. Got too involved in the XIED testing.
The FP is adjustable in the open loop area and as such it is possibel to get a good balance between open loop and closed loop with the IED /XIED taking care of the closed loop runs.
The only area of concern to me is that the FP techs need to get the information out on what the adjustments are. Telling someone to change this setting up one and that one down one isnt of any help in the customer relations area. 31 settings on the present FP and 35, I think, on the next generation coming out soon can be exhaustive.
Sorry, on my original post..I might have been mistaken.When I went backand looked...they had 35 settings. we'll have to see how this new setting works. We go snow up here too, I haven't had a chance to ride it lately.

35 Flavor of who knows what???

BTW on a happy note...Bub is sending me a new shield. They think it might have been from a boot, but they're not sure. I e-mailed him back thanking him and told him about the 2 other products I have used on my 02 with success and how they wouldn't work on this mark. Must have thought this was "My First BBQ" when dealing with blueing/tar and crap on my pipes.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test