Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Rider57 do you consider the Dakota Digital a good reliable gauge for watching the engine heat?

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:54 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heywood727

for anyone running a V&H Fuel pak which propted me to leave it on:[/align][/align]So can you use the O2 IED's with Fuel Pak?Certainly you can. The O2 IEDs actually compliment V&H FP because it covers open loop and the O2 IED covers closed loop. You can use the O2 IED's with virtually every piggy back controller on the market
Heywood could you elaborate, I do not remember exactly but recall that the enrichers and closed loop is till about 40% throttle and then after that is closed loop, or do I have it backwards. Once in open loope the 02 sensors are not part of the equation is that why the IEDs no longer matter? Sorry if I am being thick. I am leaning toward the rush 1.75 slipons and a V&H fuelpak to cover my bases and keep temps down.

Also I am continuing to measure with my infared thermo should I continue posting #s ??? It is suppossed to warm up here for the next 4-5 days

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:00 PM
wmw
Novice

There are 19 pages here on this topic,with no recordedvoltage reading on the output from the factory O2 sensors.

Old 04-10-2008 | 12:19 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

for anyone running a V&H Fuel pak which prompted me to leave it on:[/align][/align]So can you use the O2 IED's with Fuel Pak?Certainly you can. The O2 IEDs actually compliment V&H FP because it covers open loop and the O2 IED covers closed loop. You can use the O2 IED's with virtually every piggy back controller on the market
Heywood could you elaborate, I do not remember exactly but recall that the enrichers and closed loop is till about 40% throttle and then after that is closed loop, or do I have it backwards. Once in open loope the 02 sensors are not part of the equation is that why the IEDs no longer matter? Sorry if I am being thick. I am leaning toward the rush 1.75 slipons and a V&H fuelpak to cover my bases and keep temps down.

Also I am continuing to measure with my infared thermo should I continue posting #s ??? It is suppossed to warm up here for the next 4-5 days
No, you have it right. The posting in blue is a quote from Steve to me. The numbers are 50% or 4000 rpm. Even the Fuel Pak is EPA compliant. That's what I've been told by Steve. Here's a snip from one of my correspondences with Steve.

It should shed some light on what your asking.

Here is the story on V&H Fuel Pak to the best of my knowledge.[/align]V&H is a CA company, so it is square in the sights of CARB. So they are not going to do anything to cause them to get fined by altering the closedloop range on any bikes. So they are not doing anything in the closed loop range. This means that FP does not help the fuel mixture for normal riding conditions. At least one rider using both FP and the O2 IED's got the comment from a V&H Engineer that the O2 IED's are compatible with FP.[/align][/align]The "Stage 1" download from HD does not impact the closed loop range. Under EPA regulations, a manufacturer can not do anything to alter the OEM fuel maps in EPA mandated area. This happend to pretty much coincide with the closed loop range of under 4000RPM and under 50% throttle. So the HD downloads do nothing for the heat or 14.7:1 AFR mixture in closed loop range.[/align][/align] If your not going to do the A/C, IMHO, I think you might be able to get away without the FP. According to V&H, they do not have a map or suggest that you use a FP without the High flow kit.Then again don't you have the 110??[/align][/align] After some of the things I've been going through, if it were me, this is what I think your best bet might be and why.[/align][/align] I would wait untill Steve makes the XIED's avalable. These I would pick up in a heart beat. You've got to be careful with what you do because your in California. You already know how strict they can be with the emmisions. Are the Rush slipons even legal there??[/align][/align] Sorry got off track. Get the XIED's. That'll more than cover you in the closed loop range. The normal IED's will do the same just not as rich. With the Rush slipons, The map they loaded into your bike should be fine on open loop. I don't think they will tax your system like a True Duel system like mine does. Your still running the HD factory header. Even though you have the Screaming Eagle Road King, Most (if not all)of the add-ons are HD parts.[/align][/align][size=2] I believe you already have the High flow a/c with the stage 3 download. Are the pipes coming off the catylet

Old 04-10-2008 | 07:31 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have tested 3 bike with them installed and found only 2 degrees error on one and 1 degree on the other 2.

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:52 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Thanks heywood! Yes I am in California so the pipes probably are catalytic. Yess it is a 110 SERK. I am not sure if the air cleaner is free flowing I will look for the backing plate I can not rembember from when I did my 5K service. The dealer is useless in giving me info either they do not know or will not share....I am running the IEDs now and happy. Thought a little extra HP and tourqe as well as more Harley sound would be nice but maybe I should save my $$$ and buy just the XIEDs

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:10 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Well, It's snowing again 3 to 10 inches they say.
So its a day in the lab continuing to install the "new" equipment. It's new to us.
As soon as that is done, we will be getting the 2010 test programs.
Cant hardly wait for that. It will be interesting.
I have the AZ and MA state test programs now so in my spare time, I will be at it again with both the IED and XIED kits to see where 95% of the riders in those states sould be standing come test time for them.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:26 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Rider57... I talked to Steve today and he told me you might be the best person to ask about the fuel Pak. He's under the impression that the fuel pak may have nothing to do with the bike in the closed loop position. Do you have any thoughts on it?

I'm kind of confused about that. Why would the dealers be installing these to help with the heat and leanessin the closed loop settings? If that was the case, I should've left it with just the stage 1? What's the point? Once we get above a certain throttle position it switches to open loop and then there's no problem with the AFR? What use would the Fuel Pak be if it only operated in open loop mode?

Does V&H Fuel Pak have to comply with EPA regs as well? Steve thinks it may? Any literature or results that you may be able to point me to on the subject?The web site says for race applications only and not legal in California.

The other questions you asked before. It was never stock. I took delivery of it with the Stage 1 download, high flow a/c, and the bub 7's installed. When it warms up, I'll have to find someone around here with a completly stock 08 RG and have him follow me around, and then take a thermo reading of the 2 bikes. Even 1 with the Stage 1 will do for a bench mark.

The mod of the pipe was for sound and future performancemods. I wanted a pipe to handle anything I may throw at it later. I also requested the Stage 1 set up as I've been pretty happy with it on the 02. Later did I find out that they eliminated the race downloads for the 08's. Fell outside EPA regs.

Steve figures I'll be more than happy in about 2 weeks. He thinks it'll work "extremely" well for my application and system.An added bounuswith the fuel pak on. Head work and Andrews 54 cams are later when the warranty expirers.
Sorry for the late reply on this one. Got too involved in the XIED testing.
The FP is adjustable in the open loop area and as such it is possibel to get a good balance between open loop and closed loop with the IED /XIED taking care of the closed loop runs.
The only area of concern to me is that the FP techs need to get the information out on what the adjustments are. Telling someone to change this setting up one and that one down one isnt of any help in the customer relations area. 31 settings on the present FP and 35, I think, on the next generation coming out soon can be exhaustive.

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:13 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: wmw

There are 19 pages here on this topic,with no recordedvoltage reading on the output from the factory O2 sensors.
WMW, I don't understand your comment. Why do we want to measure voltage output from the O2 factory sensor? We have 19 pages here on the topic of Nightriders IED. How about the whole forum with not one reading on the sensors voltage. There are a lot of discussions going on up here about a lot of fuel mngt systems with not one person recording voltage from the stock sensor.

Old 04-10-2008 | 11:17 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

I have tested 3 bike with them installed and found only 2 degrees error on one and 1 degree on the other 2.
Wow, are you talking about the ambient air temp gauge. I guess I have a severely defective one. It's never been even remotely close.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test