Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:33 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Andy after hours of searching I found these gauges. They have the one pictured that has the bracket that goes on the valve cover, and they also offer one for out bikes that replaces the worthless ambient temperature gauge.

http://www.marlinsclocks.com/Head_Te...nt_single.html

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:40 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

What do you worthless! Dont you want to know the temps of the hot AZ wind that roasting your face? LOL

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:46 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

They haven't build a gauge that can measure that..hahahaha

Seriously everytime I pull the cover off the gauge is always at least 100 degrees and rarely comes down that much from the sun heating up the fairing. In the summer the gauge is pegged all the way. Like I said it is worthless out here.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:10 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

All the sending units for cyl head temp sensors I have seen used in aircraft and diesel applications are a probe type thermocouple style (RTD) that are mounted in the head or cylinder. I wonder how accurate that surface mount would be?
Probably as accurate as the IR devices, ya think?

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:55 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

This gauge uses a slightly different sending unit. This is the gauge that replaces the air temp gauge on our bike.

http://www.marlinsclocks.com/Electra_Glide.html

Old 04-09-2008 | 03:26 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Between the thermocoupled and IR I have seen less error with the thermocoupled devices.

Old 04-09-2008 | 04:29 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

Phil I have the same year and model as you. After a few minutes my check engine light comes on and leaves no code.
I just got done rechecking all the connections. I ran the bike and then the light came on, shut her down and checked for codes, "no codes".
I uninstalled the IEDs and ran the bike, the light came on then went out all under 30 seconds, no codes.
I reinstalled the IEDs and the light came on again and didn't go out so I stopped it and removed the IEDs, again no codes.
Started the bike again and the light came on then went out in 30 seconds so I left the IEDs off and will take it to work tomorrow and see if anything happens.

We have to remember that the 2006 Dyna's are the first bikes to have the sensors on them, maybe Steve at Nightrider can help us out.

Mike

PS - Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 04-09-2008 | 04:49 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Try riding the bike 50 miles with the IED's installed. See if the light goes out. If not, leave the IED's in, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Reconnect it, IGN on, dont start the bike. Wait 3 minutes and see if the light comes on. If it does you probably have a bad connection or remotely possible that one of the IED's may be a problem. If after the 3 minute mark you have no light, start the engine.
If you get a light it may be one that needs to be read by the Digital Tech at the dealer. Some codes can only be seen by the Digital-Tech.

Forgot to ask. Is the bikecompletely stock?
Like Steve states, the IED's / XIEDs cannot throw a code. A bad connection anywhere in the ECU paths can.

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:00 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Andy after hours of searching I found these gauges. They have the one pictured that has the bracket that goes on the valve cover, and they also offer one for out bikes that replaces the worthless ambient temperature gauge.

http://www.marlinsclocks.com/Head_Te...nt_single.html
I willalways choose a digital gauge over an analog.

Old 04-09-2008 | 05:10 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

The light only comes on when the IEDs are installed. I can't see it being anything else.

Cycle Shack slip-on mufflers that's it.
I emailed Steve at Nightrider.com.
His response.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Mike;
The IED's do not throw codes when properly installed. It is the same on an
06 Dyna as the 07/08 bikes.

The most common issue is the IED connectors not getting properly seated on
the O2 sensor and HD wiring harness connectors. Push the connectors together
until you hear them "click" and lock in place. This usually eliminates any
error code.

If the codes come back, let me know and I'll replace them for you."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to reinstall them and ride to work tomorrow and see what happens.
Maybe they got a little bent in the mail?

Thanks Rider57

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test