Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:43 PM
MotorMedic
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

So this begs the question. Thursday is the big day (I pick up my 08 EGC). Do I go for the IED or wait for the xtreme version. We have emissions testing here in Massachusetts. Are the tests that accurate that the richer mix will fail?

Thanks, Joe

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:14 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MotorMedic

So this begs the question. Thursday is the big day (I pick up my 08 EGC). Do I go for the IED or wait for the xtreme version. We have emissions testing here in Massachusetts. Are the tests that accurate that the richer mix will fail?

Thanks, Joe
The richer XIED's are not EPA complient. They can be taken off in 5 mins though and the stock plugged back together. It's nice to be able to break the bike in with it being richer so here's the crossroads your at. Get the normal IED's, the bike runs richer, sounds better and should be EPA complient since it's at 14.2:1....or wait 2 to 4 weeks for the XIED's (depending on the demand), Richer yet and not be EPA safe. The last option is , buy the IED's, ride it and break it in with those and wait on the XIED's and sell the normal ones to a friend?

I'm not sure how accurate the EPA tests are, but why take the chance of getting flagged for a failed test.

Either way, if your uncomfortable with the EPA test, both can be taken off and put back on in a short amount of time. If your not doing any mods right away... I'd hold off and wait for the release of the XIED's.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:15 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Joe, that's the beauty of these devices. They can be disconnected and reconnected so simply and quickly why gamble? Just disconnect them, take your test and plug them back in again.

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:54 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Heywood, you bring up some good points. You know one of the beauties of these devices is how in expensive they are. You can buy both and still pay less than what a stage one flash at the dealers costs.

The IED is perfect for breaking in a bike that is stock, or even has slip ons. Summer is coming and we know these bikes run hot. No telling how long it will take to get the Extremes. I've ridden with both, and believe me the IED's do a good job. Heck look at the past 18 pages of owners reports of using the IED's. All 100% positive and good reports.

I can honestly say that had I never experienced the New Extremes, I would be totally happy with the IED's.

Old 04-09-2008 | 01:22 AM
heywood727
Road Master

I agree. After talking to Steve, looking at Riders57's numbers along with the 2 hp gain, your test ride the other night...... I'm really excited about these XIED's.

V&H just sent me a new map that isn't on the radar yet for my set-upwith the fuel pak. The numbers are quite a bit different than the ones for the Rinehart TD's.( The map that's in there now.) Most of the values have been jumped up between 3 & 5 points across the board. Oh... and I made a mistake..... on the new touring FP's.... there is 35 setting not 31. FYI... mode 19 is for the throttle calabration and 20 is just there to tell you which version of FP you have. I just had to dig a little deeper.

Looks like I'm going to be V&H's guinnee pig now.

I'm surprised that Steve gave the blessing so quick on letting the cat out of the bag. I figured another week. Looks like the FP might not had been a bad call.

I can honestly say that had I never experienced the New Extremes, I would be totally happy with the IED's.
Ya... Me too, but now look what you've drugged me into

Old 04-09-2008 | 01:30 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heywood727

I'm surprised that Steve gave the blessing so quick on letting the cat out of the bag. I figured another week. Looks like the FP might not had been a bad call.
The test results were so consistent amongst all of us. Steve saw what he needed to see and then some.

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:31 AM
ssls6
Road Captain

This is interesting. How in the world do you get a stable signal from the 02 sensor at 13.8:1?

Old 04-09-2008 | 08:50 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: heywood727

ORIGINAL: MotorMedic

Thanks, Joe
The richer XIED's are not EPA complient. They can be taken off in 5 mins though and the stock plugged back together. It's nice to be able to break the bike in with it being richer so here's the crossroads your at. Get the normal IED's, the bike runs richer, sounds better and should be EPA complient since it's at 14.2:1....or wait 2 to 4 weeks for the XIED's (depending on the demand), Richer yet and not be EPA safe. The last option is , buy the IED's, ride it and break it in with those and wait on the XIED's and sell the normal ones to a friend?

I'm not sure how accurate the EPA tests are, but why take the chance of getting flagged for a failed test.

Either way, if your uncomfortable with the EPA test, both can be taken off and put back on in a short amount of time. If your not doing any mods right away... I'd hold off and wait for the release of the XIED's.
The EPA test is extensive to say the least.
The minimum test requires over 5000 hours which includes 15000 miles of driver monitored testing.
Cost vary from$18,000. to $35,000 for type acceptance / compliance certification. Most of the money paid in is for development of test items that are only used for that particular test.
State test are somewhat more forgiving and results can vary based on the operator and condition of the test equipment. Thatsthe reason for the freebee test the 2nd time around if your vehicle fails the 1st time.
Most states know that 25% of the tests done areconsidered faulty byinspector interventionbut the errors are allowed because the enviromental impact of that 25% is so low that it is acceptable.

As far as leaving the IED's in place when you go in for testing, DONT.
It may not be noticed, but if it is, the result may mean just a retest after you remove it or a citation for tampering. It again depends on the inspector. Some states are very strict and the inspector may think you are a station monitor checking to see if the testers are doing the job correctly. There are heavy fines upto revocation of testing station licenses.

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:28 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Here's a good cyl.head temp gauge if anyone is interested.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd276.htm

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:01 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

The signal is stable as far as the ECU is concerned.The reaction time of the O2 sensor is slow. So most variations in the signal go ignored unless they stay constant for longer than the sampling time at the ECU. The O2 sensors only generate voltage of 0 to 1 volt.
The changes are very small once operating temps are reached and seldom bounce to any degree that would cause a constant hunt in the ecu. Any change detected may cause rpm to be erratic or stumbling. I have on seen this happen with custom mappings as with a Power Commander and some other addon ECU kits.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test