Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:09 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Parlez vous Francais?

Let me say what Rider57 is saying in Bikers terms. Steve at Nightriders has been burning the lights brightly in the lab creating a new IED. It's called The EXTREME. Steve has decided to break old barriers and surpass the 14.0 AFR Mark. The new Extreme is producing an air fuel ratio of 13.8. Which means the bike is running richer. What does this all mean?

I have tested the Extreme twice now. The first test I used my K&N 3909 kit and my Rush slip ons (2 inch). It was a warm day out here at around 82 degrees. I was even riding two up. Temperature wise I saw 285 degrees on the rear and 280 on the front. This was a little better than the IED. Now for the WOW part. Throttle response was great. The bike had noticeably more acceleration. I checked my fuel mileage and I got 42 mpg. My driving was mixed between City and Highway. I was totally impressed with the new Extreme.

Day two test got even better. I removed the K&N and went back to the stock air kit. Still running the Rush slip ons 2 inch baffles. Today I ran my familiar test course I have done all my other tests on except for the day before. Its a nice open road highway for half a trip, and the other part is a nice back road where you can cruise at 60 and go up and down hills and hit some twisties too. Stop one was a third of the course. Temps were 275 rear and 250 front. The Bike ran effortlessly on the highway with me barely having to give it gas. I could take 6th gear down to 40 and accelerateback up to 70. The Bike had lots of guts. The exhaust sounded real good.

I got to stop number two. I had been drively very easy hardly having to use the throttle. Rear cylinder was 255 degrees and the front was 220 degrees. I was in Hog Heaven cruising along so effortlessly, with my favorite tunes playing on the radio. The Bike has never run finer.

My biggest surprise came at the final Gas stop. I had gone 59.9 miles and only used 1.28 gallons. That makes my fuel mileage 46.875. I guess more power means less throttle, and it proved it at the pumps.

So next time you think stage one, think EXTREME and save yourself $100 and have a better running machine.

The new Extremes are built with better quality. Installation is minutes just as before.

My Hat is off to Steve, to be able to make my Bike run as good as it did at such a small cost is remarkable. Special thanks to Andy and others who contributed to the field testing.

They should be hitting the streets within the next few weeks.

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:36 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Glad you guys got to post it. The numbers look great. Thanks Cruiser, Thanks Rider. For anyone that's interested, here's some of the info Steve sent to me on the XIED's a few days ago:

The XIED design is intended to push conventional wisdom and design limits. I[/align]had seen other reports of riders trying to push the limits on their own DIY[/align]IED designs, but I saw no indication of success. I knew that there was still[/align]a little wiggle room for changes in the original IED if you paid attention[/align]to what you were doing. 30 years designing computer systems comes in handy[/align]sometimes. The XIED pushes the closed loop fuel mixture to around 13.8:1,[/align]which is almost as rich as I can control closed loop with the LC-1 WBO2[/align]upgrade. But there is no doubt that the XIED is not EPA complient. [/align][/align]And for anyone running a V&H Fuel pak which propted me to leave it on:[/align][/align]So can you use the O2 IED's with Fuel Pak?Certainly you can. The O2 IEDs actually compliment V&H FP because it covers open loop and the O2 IED covers closed loop. You can use the O2 IED's with virtually every piggy back controller on the market, every HD download available or SE Race Tuner.There are a few combinations that don't make sense (mainly SERT with the O2 IED's because SERT can accomplish the same in software) and some different ways of tuning (like not using the o2 eliminators in the TFI or PCIII race), but the O2 IED's are essentially "invisible" to all these upgrades.[/align][/align] Thanks for the field tests guys. I'm really looking forward to these. Looking at Riders numbers more or less confirms how your ride went cruiser.[/align]

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:43 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Rider...on the info sheet read out, when you were quoting Stage 1 complete...... was that High flow A/C and the download?

Old 04-08-2008 | 07:44 PM
RBFB
Intermediate

Are these going to be around the same price? I'm sure you might not know. Either way, I will have a standard set for sale soon. I really like the way the IED helped my bike. A great product indeed.

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:03 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Phil K

Happened just as i pulled into the garage...bike ran fine and nothing out of the ordinary. Am running the Stage1 download and IED'S with a K&N and SE2's. Cleared the code this morning and will take it out for a short ride to see what happens. How do you read the code...i thought you needed a device to plug into the ECM for that...is there a way to check the actual code without?...and do i have to contact the dealer to figure out what the code is? Thanks for the help!
I've found the codes on the internet. They might be here, but I might have found the a few years ago on HTT. I went looking on my CPU for the one's I had for the 02. No luck or I would post them for you.

I know for certain that that you can on the 02. I can't see why you can't do it on the newer ones as well.

I believe it started off, Kill switch on, turn it from start to Acc 4 times, leave it in the start position, Push both turn signals switches 3 times together, wait for a flash of the signal lights............ This isn't the exact procedure, but if you find the write up on it, this is how it more or less started.

It's kind of the same procedure as some cars. You'll get something like :

5flashes.. 3 second pause =5 (5 could also be linked to the ABC, 5= e or electrical)

3flashes.. 1 second pause = 5-3

2 " " " "= 5-32

It's right along those lines. I haven't done this in 3 years, so I'm guessing, but YES...you can read the codes without having it hooked up. Who knows? On the newer bikes, the codes may show up on the odometer like they do on my 01 Jeep Cherokee ? No flashes just the P-301. That would make it easier.

I'll try to keep looking for them. Let me know if you find them.

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:09 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: heywood727

Rider...on the info sheet read out, when you were quoting Stage 1 complete...... was that High flow A/C and the download?
Yes

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:16 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RBFB

Are these going to be around the same price? I'm sure you might not know. Either way, I will have a standard set for sale soon. I really like the way the IED helped my bike. A great product indeed.
They might be a little higher in price not a huge amount, I really can't say right now. Iknow Steve has an idea, but we might have to wait until he crunches the numbers.. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure we'll all know.

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:41 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

I was a little reluctant to post this since it takes up a lot of space, but here it is.

Code Information:

The IM (instrument module) is capable of displaying DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes).

Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM and ICM/ECM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC).

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button.
Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word "diag" should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter
(module)
to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)

P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module (EFI) / (Ignition Control Module,
'Carbureted')
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module) SP = speedometer T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word "none" will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

8 - If DTC's are not to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5
seconds) until 'clear' comes up.
Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Run your bike and shut it down then recheck the DTC's again by repeating steps 1 to 9.
If the code is current it will reappear.

9 - Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.

10 - Turn Ignition switch to OFF.

--------------------------

DTC FAULT CONDITION MODULE

B0563 Battery Voltage High TSM/TSSM
B1004 Fuel Level Sending Unit Low Instruments
B1005 Fuel Level Sending Unit High/Open Instruments
B1006 Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1008 Reset Switch Closed Instruments
B1131 Alarm Output Low TSM/TSSM
B1132 Alarm Output High TSM/TSSM
B1134 Starter Output High TSM/TSSM
B1135 Accelerometer Fault TSM/TSSM
B1151 Sidecar BAS Low TSM/TSSM
B1152 Sidecar BAS High TSM/TSSM
B1153 Sidecar BAS Out of Range TSM/TSSM
P0106 MAP Sensor Rate of Range Error Carb
P0107 Map Sensor Failed Open/Low Carb
P0107 Map Sensor Open/Low EFI
P0108 Map Sensor Failed High Carb
P0108 Map Sensor High EFI
P0112 IAT Sensor Voltage Low EFI
P0113 IAT Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI
P0117 ET Sensor Voltage Low EFI
P0118 ET Sensor Voltage Open/High EFI
P0122 TP Sensor Open/Low EFI
P0123 TP Sensor High EFI
P0261 Front Injector Open/Low EFI
P0262 Front Injector High EFI
P0263 Rear Injector Open/Low EFI
P0264 Rear Injector High EFI
P0373 CKP Sensor Intermittent Carb
P0373 CKP Sensor Intermittent EFI
P0374 CKP Sensor Not Detected Carb
P0374 CKP Sensor Synch Error EFI
P0501 VSS Low Carb
P0501 VSS Low EFI
P0502 VSS High/Open Carb
P0502 VSS High/Open EFI
P0505 Loss of Idle Sped Control EFI
P0562 Battery Voltage Low Carb
P0562 Battery Voltage Low EFI

Old 04-08-2008 | 08:49 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Cool ... That's going into the file so I can find it. I had a funny feeling that might do it this way vs. the flashing signal way... Thanks for the post Gundog!!

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:00 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

RBFB:

The price will be a little higher. Believe me when I say Steve is not making a fatter profit on it. The construction of the Extreme is a more costly procedure. When you consider what your getting, they're one Hell of a bargain. I think I can safely say the cost will be about half of what the Dealer would charge you for a stage one download with Tax and Labor.

I have now both the IED and the Extreme. I have no intention of selling one just cause I have the other. The IED will come in very handy when I have to go for my emissions test. I really liked the way the Bike rode with the IED, but it's not any where's near summers heat out here yet. I think the Extreme will be a great benefit when the thermometer outside rises over 100.

To date I have tried the Cobra FI2000, Terminal Velocity II, Power Commander, and Race Tuner. With no hesitation I would say the Extreme has my Bike running it's best. You know the Delphi fuel injection system is not a bad system. It just needed some tweaking and Steve gave it just what it needed.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test