Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008 | 04:03 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I did rideagain today, I still can't get over the performance improvement..for $70 it is a noticible difference.
Oh and the ride was in town, temp in the mid 60's , lots of stop and go...pipes are still chrome under the heat shields.
I can smell a stonger exhaust smell @ warm up and at stops till the bike is completly warmed up. And
yes I know... 02 info to the ecm is not used till closed loop...but Im telling you these things are great.

Old 02-14-2008 | 07:18 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Lab Freak, I have the K&N 3909 kit and Rush Mufflers with 2 inch baffles. Look at my IED temps compared to Barrygreen's IED temps. They are very close in the 200's. Barry's Bike is Bone stock. I hope this answers your question.

You know one other thing I noticed on my Bike after I put the IEDS on. My air temperature gauge which normally is a huge waste of space had dropped in temperature significantly for the first time.

Best $69 I ever spent.

Old 02-14-2008 | 11:38 PM
labfreak
Road Master

Cruiser, thanks, yeah that answers it, I'll check backin when I gett mine and put em on.
BTW, what kind of device are you guys using to measure engine temps? Is it expensive, got a good recommend? Thanks again

Old 02-15-2008 | 12:25 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

We're using an infrared thermometer. They cost around $20 at the auto parts store. A small plastic handheld device that has a trigger/button. You point it at what you want to measure and push the button. It emits a red laser dot to show you where you are aiming. Recommended distance is about 6 inches away from your target. Instantly it shows the temp on an LCD display on the reverse side that faces you. Its a handy little tool to keep around.

Old 02-15-2008 | 06:29 AM
TickTock
Club Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

We're using an infrared thermometer. They cost around $20 at the auto parts store. A small plastic handheld device that has a trigger/button. You point it at what you want to measure and push the button. It emits a red laser dot to show you where you are aiming. Recommended distance is about 6 inches away from your target. Instantly it shows the temp on an LCD display on the reverse side that faces you. Its a handy little tool to keep around.
Can it tell if your wife heats up? I think we need a test. First test when she is calm and just walking around the house - then test when she is mad. Report back the difference. This is a test I am really interested in!

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:46 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Hahahaha...I'd prefer an auto sensor for that. You have to get too close to get a good reading, then it's too late cause your in her clutches.

Old 02-15-2008 | 08:55 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Gundog:

Thanks, will test them and make sure they are fully plugged in. While I have them out, I will go for a ride and check the temps, then reinstall, ride and check temps again. Will post the results.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:43 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

OK, I removed the IED's and tested them. Both tested OK - about 1.05 volts with a 1.5volt battery connected to the female end. Reconnected the O2 sensor wires without the IED's - 76 degrees today.

I rode the bike on local roads in stop & go traffic,then ona 55mph road in 4th gear. Pulled off theroad into a shopping center, jumped off the bike, pulled out the thermometer and read 310-315 on the front and 330-337 on the rear cylinder. I took readings 1 inch to the left and right of each sparkplug as well as directly on the base of the sparkplug.

I then continued riding, stopped at a traffic light. About a block after the traffic light, I pulled over and checked the temps again. Temps now read 325-330 on the front and 345-355 on the rear.

Finally rode home. Had to stop at the security gate, rode the remaining 1/2 mile to my house at 25-30 mph in 3rd gear. Pulled into the driveway, with engine still running and bike in neutral, I opened the garage door, took off my helmet and measured the temps. Now reading 350-355 on the front and 380-385 on the rear. These readings in the driveway are about the same as they were with the IED's installed.

I can only conclude that waiting at traffic lights, riding slowly, and letting the bike idle for a minute or two before checking temps is allowing the engine to register higher temps. The temps in my driveway without the IED's are similar to the temps I was getting in the same place with the IED's.

Next step, let the bike cool down, install the IED's and run the same tests for comparison.

I'll let you know the results - probably tomorrow because I have an appointment to go to in 45 minutes.

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:57 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mr. Clean your temps are in the normal range for a stock bike. When you hook the IED's up you should see a dramatic drop in temps like both Barry and I experienced. Usually below 250 degrees.

If you get the same readings something is not right with your IED's. Your not suppose to bend the wire in the middle. You can arc it slightly, but no severe bends.

Good Luck

Old 02-15-2008 | 06:32 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Cruiser85257: Thanks for informing me that my temps w/o the IED's is normal. With the IED's installed, I never checked the temps immeditely after stopping. I always checked them in my driveway, after I opened the garage door, took off my helmet and gloves and then got the infrared thermometer. I guess, just idling after riding slowly, the temps rose significantly because there was little or no air flowing past the heads.

I did not bend the IED wires in the middle as that is where the resistors are. I did curve the wires slightly to enable them to fit neatly on the bike. Hopefully, tomorrow I will get a chance to repeat the test with the IED's installed.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test