Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 09:45 PM
peapodcv
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

One last question on ieds. I have been following this thread from day one and do believe the many positve posts. I was just wondering why after the ecu gets the altered voltage signal from the ieds and richens up the mixture doesn't the o2 sensers detect the richer mixture in the exhaust and signal the ecu to lean out back to 14.6

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:19 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: peapodcv

One last question on ieds. I have been following this thread from day one and do believe the many positve posts. I was just wondering why after the ecu gets the altered voltage signal from the ieds and richens up the mixture doesn't the o2 sensers detect the richer mixture in the exhaust and signal the ecu to lean out back to 14.6

The ECM controls the fuel flow. The 02 sensors are just that. Sensors. As far as the ECM's concerned, the bike is at 14.6/7, when infact it's 14.0/1.

Think of it like a filter. It's reducing the voltage. The ECM has no idea that there is anything in between it and the 02 sensor.

A poor but for example sake idea:

Say your cruise control (ECM)ran off of your speedo(02 Sensors). Now you calibrate your speedo 10mph's lower. The cruise is setat 60.....your doing 70. The cruise control is only getting it's info from the speedo. Wouldn't matter if you were going up hill or down hill. As far as the cruise is concerned, your at 60.....

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:21 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Cruiser....Here's your Stage 1 download push with the Stage 1 A/C

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Peapodcv:

That's a good question, in fact I asked Steve the very same question the last time I spoke to him. Like you I simply thought the IED added some voltage to make the bike richer. When in fact the IED is designed to work on a percentage.I hope I explained that right, Steve made absolutely positive sense to me when he explained it.

If we look at the Race Tuner you can do the same thing by changing values in the closed loop bias table. By setting all the boxes in closed loop to 750mv you achieve the same results of an AFR of 14.2. If the O2 sensor reads richer it will send a higher voltage than the 750mv. The ECU will sense that it is off its target goal of 750mv (14.2) and make necessary changes till the O2 is back on its target goal. The IED accomplishes the same thing except its about $400 cheaper. Of course the Race Tuner can do so much more, but for some of us we don't need the extra's and can save our money.

Old 03-28-2008 | 03:42 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Yes it had the O2 eliminators

Old 03-28-2008 | 09:27 AM
rsofa
Road Captain

Ok so I have been following this thread from the start here's my plan Rush 1.75's and the IED's ......
And I take it nothing else needs to be done but RIDE!!!! ??????

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:39 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mikeurig,I'm just trying to figure out why you would throw a code. I assume you removed the O2 eliminators as well?

Being you removed the PCIII I would back track and check every step you did to remove it. Make sure everything is reconnected right. It might even be a good idea to remove the IED's and then reset your codes. Then try running the bike with only the stock ECU hooked up and see if it still wants to throw a code. If not, now we have a good base to start with. Now add your IED's again and see if it will run without tripping a code.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:46 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

You got it RSOFA. If you want a little better breathing Steve recommends the K&N replacement filter HD1499. I'm personally running right now with the stock air box and I like the way it runs. Oh and I have the Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles.

Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 03-28-2008 | 03:37 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

There were no codes, I had the same thing happen when I installed the V&H Fuelpak last year.
And yes I removed the o2 eliminators. I'll check it out Saturday, too much to do right now.

Mike

Old 03-28-2008 | 04:24 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rsofa

Ok so I have been following this thread from the start here's my plan Rush 1.75's and the IED's ......
And I take it nothing else needs to be done but RIDE!!!! ??????

With no intake or filter changes, you'd be good to go. It won't be any faster, but it'll sound good and run cooler/better.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test