Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:33 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Great news Chuck. Did you leave the IED's on the Bike when you brought it in for the stage one download?

Welcome to Nightriders IED Club.
Yep. Brought it to the dealer with them installed. You'd seriously have to look for them as mine are tucked away in the stock locations. It obviously didn't affect the computer upgrade or anything.

Rode home yesterday - temps downtown were about 87. No pinging at all. I also noticed there there is NOOO decel pop at all. Not once! Not this morning when it was much cooler out too (about 55 degrees).

I finally feel like the bike is running the way it is supposed to run. Glad I got it done.

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:40 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

I had a long conversation with Steve yesterday and this was a good part of the discussion. The way Steve looks at it is you have to ask a question. Is it worth another $200 for about 3 more Horsepower that you only feel when your riding wide open throttle? His question was how much time do you spend in Wide Open Throttle?

But then again us Bikers have that extra chromasone that makes us spend more money to have the Power. Looks like Chuck is enjoying the combo.

Old 03-27-2008 | 11:48 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

That's great Chuck. I have been flipping a coin trying to decide if it was worth it. It sure sounds like your enjoying it.

Seriously, what distinguishable differences did it make for your Bike? How do you like the Guys at Chesters? Just one more little push and I'll be right behind you.

Old 03-27-2008 | 01:40 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

I've messed with every motor I've ever owned. From simple intake/exhaust/jetting to complete bore/stroker race builds. I never leave things alone. With that said, I was experimenting with the 96" to see what I could get away with. Exhaust was no problem. I opened up the SE mufflers for more sound after I found them to be too quiet. That didn't affect the EFI at all. Bike ran good, but hot. The IED's cooled it down a bit, but I felt it was being strangled on top end. Stock air filters just don't flow enough. The KN1499 was thrown on to see if it would add anything. I didn't expect it to flow that much more air really. The frst time I wound it out, I knew the filter flowed a lot better. I hadn't hit the stock rev limit until I put that filter on. Surprised me that I hit it. But that day was cool and I didn't notice any pinging. Once it got hotter here, that's when the pinging started. I knew I had reached the limit of the EFI map. Just too much airflow for the stock map. It was nice that the IED's kept it from pinging during closed loop. The light pinging I had told me I was needing a richer map - hence the stage 1, as I really didn't want to screw with dyno tuning for perfection.

So, is it noticable? Well, yeah. It pulls all the way to 6200 and doesn't fall on it's face after 5000 rpm. It runs smoother and cooler. Was it worth the $300 for mufflers, $70 for the IED's, $70 for the filter and $200 for the map? Well, if HD is right about their stage 1 hp/tq increase being the below graph, then yes. It was worth it.

Old 03-27-2008 | 03:07 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

I ripped out my PCIII and SE air box and reinstalled the stock air box and IED's.
I only started the bike and let it heat up. It's raining here and I have a bad cold.
Hotter than before but the rpm's are lower and the sound from the Cycle Shack pipes are a lower rumble.
While I was just being busy in the garage, the check engine light came on so I turned it off and checked for codes.
No codes so I started it up and the light came on again but went right out, still no codes.
I'll keep an eye on it. Supposed to rain tomorrow, maybe a ride on Saturday or Sunday to test it.

Mike

Old 03-27-2008 | 05:09 PM
Chart
Novice

Guys, thanks for all the research on this product. I slogged through all 15 pages (whew I'm tired now). Going to Night Riders web site next, or call Steve for my answer. But either way, I'll buy from him instead of making them, as he deserves the business.

Just bought a off-lease 07 Police bike this year, with the 103 engine. It's stock as far as I know, but not sure how close to the SE103 the police 103 is, or if that even makes a difference. That's where Steve's answer will help confirm his products are a good fit for my new FLHP.

Just to confirm the heat issue, my new Harley is at the dealer getting a new rear jug and piston installed under warrenty. Seems the cylinder was badly scored, and preventing it from running right. I expect this was due to high rear cylinder temps, and conventional oil breaking down on the cylinder wall. Hopefully this will not be a problem in the future.

Old 03-27-2008 | 05:26 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Chuck that's an impressive graph, where did you get that from?

I just got back from a ride, it must be at least 85 out. I checked the temps twice today and neither time did I go over 300, in fact both times the Bike remained around 285/290. That's running my Rush slip ons (2 inch) and stock air kit. You know I have the K&N 3909 kit but just don't feel motivated to put it on the way the bike is running for me right now.

I wish you had done more comparision testing before and after receiving the stage one. I'm still not sure I really need it. My bike is running so good right now that I hate to mess with it.

My Gut instinct is to quit while I am ahead. Right now I have a great running Bike. Six months ago I would of killed someone to get my bike to run the way it is now. I guess I need to be satisfied and reflect back on the experiences of past when I get the urge to do anything again. My Journey took both a lot of time and money. I have never enjoyed the bike so much as I do now.

I guess too and probably most important is how each of us look at our bike and how we perceive what a great running bike is. Pull up next to me at a light and try to beat me, and I don't care. The True nature of enjoying the ride is when your senses are free to enjoy the World around you. Not when you are obsessed with how the bike is running, is it getting too hot? why is my idle doing that weird thing? how come she pops on decel this time and the last three was ok? Why am I feeling vibration more now? How come my last tank of gas was horrible? Doesn't sound like much fun does it?

But having a consistently good running bike frees you from all that neurotic thinking. Your free to enjoy the True Spirit and Freedom of what it is all about.

Just maybe the Stage One download will make it run even better. I think its time for me to call it quits and be satisfied. Of course next week doesn't count.

Glad your bike is running so good Chuck, enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 03-27-2008 | 05:31 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mikeurig did your PCIII have O2 eliminators?

Old 03-27-2008 | 05:31 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

That graph is off the HD site under the SE air cleaner mod. It depicts the gain the SE air kit gave a dyna after the stage 1 download (and probably SE mufflers, but they didn't say that). It goes pretty much with the gains I've seen in the dyno section here for stage 1 kitted bikes.

Old 03-27-2008 | 05:56 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Chuck, I would imagine that would be mostly from the air kit. Like in the article in April American Iron Magazine with the S&S Quick set up and S&S slip ons. The first dyna chart shows 10 HP gain with just the air kit. The second chart really doesn't show any gain what so ever with the SE slip ons.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test