Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008 | 03:07 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Diebolt according to your results you got exactly the same readings the first test with and without the sensors. Out of all the recorded tests with temperatures your the only one showing no change. Which leads me to believe that something isn't right. I would run a check on the IED's using Steve's test method with a paper clip and volt tester. I would also double check to make sure you have it hooked up correctly and the connectors are solidly joined.

Those Temps seem kind of high. I ran my bike the other day and it was like 84 out. I was right around 300 high 200's for the rear, and high 200's for the front. 430 degrees for your rear head with the IED's is very Hot.

Make sure your hitting the laser pointer for the thermometer to the left of the spark plug about one inch over. Make sure it is selected for Fahrenheit.

I would also test the thermometer. You can do this by the fire and ice test. Put a dark object in the freezer over night filled with water and wait for it to freeze, then check the temperature. You should be around 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a dark cooking pot and boil water. Remove it from heat and immediately check temp. You should be close to 212 degrees. This will tell you your thermometer is working OK.

Old 03-23-2008 | 03:48 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

cruiser,

I am taking the reading on the horizontal space to the left of the plug next to the head bolt. Maybe I should be reading the vertical area behind and to the left of the plug.

I will have to get some watch batteries for my volt tester before I can check out the IED's

I don't think that the thermometer is reading bad, I think that I need to read off the vertical area behind the plug.

I am sure that they are working as I did feel cooler temps off the engine with them installed.

Old 03-23-2008 | 04:15 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Jim, I don't doubt that you felt it cooler based on what I have seen and everyone else who has tried it. Your first test though basically showed no change with and without. There you should see a drop in temp with the IED's installed and working.

Your hitting the right area just to the left of the spark plug about one inch. I'm just trying to keep consistency where we all take our temps from.

Just one more thing. When you get back from your trip shut the motor off. Then take your temps. It doesn't matter if it takes you a minute or so to get the thermometer up and running. That one or two minutes running when standing still can make the engine hotter with no air flow.

Your course of travel too can affect temps. If your traveling side streets back and have to cruise very slow and occasionally have to wait for traffic lights can make it hotter too. The thing that bothers me is the lack of change with and without. Something is not right.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:04 PM
cspcrx
Tourer

installed mine and went on a ride. Noticed the bike sounded different and the throttle felt a lot better. Before when I got on it the bike seemed to be flat. Now it feels more like my sportster did contstant pull. It was in the 80s here in Phoenix this weekend. Also noticed less of the low speed surge. Didnt take before or after measurements because thats been done by so many. Just have to say its a noticable difference.

Old 03-23-2008 | 09:42 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback CSPCRX and Welcome to the Nightrider IED Club.

Old 03-23-2008 | 11:46 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Rode mine today. 85 degrees.Fins to the left (Fins to the right! And you're the only girl...um, er, anyway...)of the sparkplug readbetween 300-310. That was taken after riding in stop and go traffic in the city. So, I'm pleased.

[sm=biker.gif]

Old 03-23-2008 | 11:59 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member

I have never owned a bike that did not have an oil cooler.

Old 03-24-2008 | 12:55 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

AZ Rider thats a good read for riding in traffic out here. The numbers sound good.

Old 03-24-2008 | 07:49 AM
larry5601
Cruiser

I installed mine Sunday. I didn't notice a lot of differencein oil temperature. The air temperature was around 80-85 Sat and Sun when I was riding. The oil temperature was around 280-300 before the install on Sat and after the install on Sun. It did seem to run a litttle cooler in town though. It is hard to be accurate with the oil tempeatre gauge, the range from 230-320 F isn't very big on the gauge

The performance in the 2000-3000 rpm range was a lot better though. Going through the mountains I had a lot more power at lower rpm's and didn't have to down shift as much. The engine ran a lot smoother in this range.

The gas mileage was about the same around 40 mpg.

Old 03-24-2008 | 04:51 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Larry for sharing your information and welcome to the Nightrider IED Club.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test